Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris Cottrell

This bugs the heck out of me
« on: September 19, 2005, 10:44:50 pm »
Hi all

Im not sure if this is a common problem or if its just me being me but :

I Quoted a new customer the other day for her windows and a clean for her conservatory roof
It was quite a high quote based on her wanting a bi-monthly clean and not being an easy job at all (multi level garden , narrow walkways and over grown vegitation)

so 25 large windows made up of 12-18 panes each plus conservatory 4m x 2m I quoted £43.00 and £25.00 for the cons roof ....... bite me hand off ....jubbly im thinking

T & Cs all signed up were on a winner I'm thinking

any way arrived on-site today she greeted me with pleasant smile and offers of a cuppa .....off to a good start
so windows were a bl....dy pain puty falling out paint flaking off .....jees what a.....

2 hours later 1 clean cons roof 25 clean windows
£68.00 richer

then the bit that pi...sed me off "can we leave it for 3-4 mounths till the next clean "....."is that ok with you"

I dont know weather to say "oh yes my dear that'll be fine" or NO REMEMBER THE TERMS & CONS TOU SIGNED IGNORAMUS 8 WEEKS MEANS 8 WEEKS DUMBO!!!!!!

Regards as allways

Chris C...........PI***D OFF

williamx

Re: This bugs the heck out of me
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:50:54 pm »
Chris

I know how you feel, before I use to ok and then delete them from the computer.

Not anymore, I point out that the quote was for a 2 monthly clean and if they want 3 or 4 monthly then that another 25% please.

After they have paid which they do, I go home and delete them from the computer.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:51:54 pm »
think £68.00  for 2 hours work.

not bad at all .sometimes you have to accept it .

you would be foolish to turn money down like that no matter how often it is

dave

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:57:54 pm »
Will

its like i mentioned on another post i dont like to say no but ........well you know what im getting at
Dave's right £68 for 2 hours ....Good money

Chris C

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:42:26 pm »
HI Chris & Everyone,

I stipulate from the outset that we offer monthly or 6 weekly cleans, if they require any other arrangements i.e. the cost will raise by 20% because their windows are even dirtier and take longer to clean.

However, I had a monthly client send me a really nice email and at the end, she asked if she could go Bi-monthly. I replied that I didn't offer that service, however for an additional £5 per visit, I would fit it in. I also offered her the 6 week option and if she paid three months in advance I would give her a discount.

Well she opted for the six weekly. I like having the money in the bank before I go to work :-)

Andrew

williamx

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 11:51:49 pm »
Chris

I had a customer who agreed to have a monthly clean (£45.00).

Cleaned the first month, whereas she says she like it every 2 months, so ok I said.

2 months went by and she has change her mind and would like it every 3 or 4 months or so.

4 months go by and now she has changed her mind and every 6 months would be better.

There is a time when enough is enough.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 05:27:41 am »
Chris

I had a customer who agreed to have a monthly clean (£45.00).

Cleaned the first month, whereas she says she like it every 2 months, so ok I said.

2 months went by and she has change her mind and would like it every 3 or 4 months or so.

4 months go by and now she has changed her mind and every 6 months would be better.

There is a time when enough is enough.

I've also found that if they sense a sign of weakness, a lot of them will take the pee.  Nearly all my round is 6 weekly.  A few of them have been asking for 8 or 12 weekly recently.  I just say no and leave it up to them as to whether they wish to cancel.  If I start turning up and I get "Not today, thanks" then I take the option of cancelling out of their hands.  That's without me having a full workload too.

williamx

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 10:22:46 am »
The Shiner

You are quite right, last year I had one road to do, over £400 worth of business, I had done the first clean and this was the next months one.

Well I turned up and nearly all of them said not this time thanks, so out of the £400 I ended up with £50.

I still clean on this road but every one who cancelled I have never cleaned or will clean again, and the ones who I did clean know my conditions, so if they want to mess about then they can find somebody else.

Remember for everyone who cancels on the door with sorry not this time has cost you money.

stevef

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 05:54:34 pm »
A lady asked me to clean her con roof and up stairs windows, she was the sort that you know straight away is barking mad! anyway did them and she was as pleased as punch and said see you in 4 weeks, well you just know don't you, 4 weeks later Oh is is that time allready, yes says I, regular and reliable me, well I have just got back from holiday can you leave them till next time lovely job though she says. next visit there still quite clean can you leave them till next time, no problem say I smilling as I walk up the path gritting my teeth, her woice following me YOU WONT FORGET ME WIIL YOU. forget who?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 06:16:10 pm »
The Shiner

You are quite right, last year I had one road to do, over £400 worth of business, I had done the first clean and this was the next months one.

Well I turned up and nearly all of them said not this time thanks, so out of the £400 I ended up with £50.

I still clean on this road but every one who cancelled I have never cleaned or will clean again, and the ones who I did clean know my conditions, so if they want to mess about then they can find somebody else.

Remember for everyone who cancels on the door with sorry not this time has cost you money.

My angle is that if they notice that they need cleaning then they have left it too long.  Sometimes there are good reasons for skipping a clean.  I once noticed a funeral at one customer's place.  I'd known for some time that the guy was dying.  There was no way I was going to call to ask his wife if she wanted the windows cleaned (good job Ross didn't have that job  ;D ).  Maybe someone is painting their windows or there is building work going on.  I'm not unreasonable about skipping cleans in situations like that.  I was even asked to skip a clean recently as they had just laid a new lawn.  Presumably they didn't want me walking over it or didn't want the ladder stuck in it (I'm a ladder man still) . No problem.  You get a feel for whether people are taking the pee or not, don't you?

williamx

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 07:12:20 pm »
The Shiner

The ones I target are the ones who say now this month ta the windows are still clean.

texas girl

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 03:54:06 am »
I tell customers what the cost would be for a certan schedule. In my case; usually 2 times/year.  I also charge a bit more for the first time.

I tell them I will put them on my call up list; I call; and if they change the schedule it is the initial price again.

In the case of a show up and turn down (which is commercial in my case); I charge a show up fee to cover transportation costs.

If this is made clear in the beginning it is not a surprise to them. :o

As much as fuel is these days (especially for you guys);I think making that a policy is a good idea.

That way you are not as p*****d off; at least you don't feel chumped.  :D

Hugs,

Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 10:57:50 pm »
and she was as pleased as punch 

Ah, if only all my customers were even as good looking as Punch..... ::)

It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 11:09:26 pm »

In the case of a show up and turn down (which is commercial in my case); I charge a show up fee to cover transportation costs.

:D

Hugs,

"Ahhh  Bless"

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 08:46:15 pm »

:D

Hugs,

"Ahhh  Bless"

Dont get all jealous on me

rosskesava

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 09:41:50 pm »
Hi Texas

I tried that once.

The person told me to bug*er off.

What's your secret and how do you say it?

I just said for an £80 job (basically) 'that will be £20 to cover our costs as you phoned us and asked us to come and now you have changed your mind'.

Cheers and hugs

poles apart

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 09:45:27 pm »
rosskesava
Did they give a reason for changing their minds?
Rod

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 12:34:57 am »
No he didn't really except that he said he'd looked at the windws after he'd phoned and changed his mind.

He (the manager of the office) had a full 2 days to phone and cancel.

What I was interested in was more how Teaxs Girl approached the subject of a wasted journey.

Cheers

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 12:08:54 am »
All structured business plans are pretty irrelevant when you've got 150mph winds hitting you

We hope you are all ok

Pj

Londoner

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 08:59:43 am »
There is no problem with an "as and when " customer as long as you both know the score. Lots of people don't really have the dosh anyway. Its good to have a few you can drop off you list in the winter months when the days are short and you are getting all behind.
Money is still money and if they only want the windows cleaned about four times a year I don't see a problem with that.