Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

james44

Re: is 55 to old?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 10:52:29 pm »
like he cant climb over gates

No employee should be asked to climb over gates, if this guy has a fall doing so you could be in deep poo with h&s
As i doubt very much climbing over gates could be written into anybodys term of contract.

mark311069

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:21 pm »

No employee should be asked to climb over gates, if this guy has a fall doing so you could be in deep poo with h&s
As i doubt very much climbing over gates could be written into anybodys term of contract.

i understand what you are saying james, but i would say 90% of windes on here jump gates to get the job done, not saying its right but its just something we just do.

let me expand on my first post.  this guy is pretty fit, he did 23years in the army, has worked for the police force. still plays cricket every week in the season. goes to the gym every week. the job he did before was a high paying job he was a 40% tax payer. but his army pension has kicked in so he has decided to quit his job to have more time with his family and to work for me part time. but iam not sure how much he wants to work for me or if hes just used working for me as a excuse to his missus to quit his job early. iam not sure if its going to work out but its not easy for me as the guy is my brother!!!

james44

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 11:26:01 pm »
Yep get what you are saying mark!

i think you will know the old saying family and business just do not mix in most cases.

james44

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »
Re reading your post if he is that fit and been in the army then climbing over a gate would not be a problem sounds to me like he has no interest!

Klean07

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:21 pm »
I'm 52 next month this post makes me feel old. Though although I do get tired sometimes I almost always get a full day in (weather permitting). I haven't jumped over a gate for years though. Its a lot easier to text a custie night before. Besides jumping over gates just gives us wcs a worse image than we already have.
Ps Although I'm almost 52 I get up at 7am and go to bed at 12am. Think most of young brigade are in cookoo land at 10pm.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

mark dew

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 11:37:38 pm »

i understand what you are saying james, but i would say 90% of windes on here jump gates to get the job done, not saying its right but its just something we just do.

let me expand on my first post.  this guy is pretty fit, he did 23years in the army, has worked for the police force. still plays cricket every week in the season. goes to the gym every week. the job he did before was a high paying job he was a 40% tax payer. but his army pension has kicked in so he has decided to quit his job to have more time with his family and to work for me part time. but iam not sure how much he wants to work for me or if hes just used working for me as a excuse to his missus to quit his job early. iam not sure if its going to work out but its not easy for me as the guy is my brother!!!

Is ok jumping gates yourself but to ask an employee to do it is asking for trouble imo. How long has he been working for you?
I don't think it matters how fit or strong anyone is, cleaning windows traditionally is going to be a shock for anyone who hasn't done it regularly.
The fact that he is your brother sets alarms ringing for me. I'd question his commitment from the beginning.
Is going to take at least a month or more before he gets a handle on what he's doing anyway.
If he becomes any good for you will depend on whether he actually wants to work for you and the quality of the training you give him.
A good talk explaining what is required of him from the off and a probation period which should include proper training rather than letting him get on with it.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 06:40:34 am »
Well I'm 53 and stopped jumping over gates about 15 years ago.  It's not that I can't.  I just won't.
I think the employr should take responsibility for notifying the customers the evening before to unlock their gates.  If they won't do that then they have to go elsewhere for a service.
Apart from that, I'm not so sure H & S would permit gate jumping anyway.
Go WFP then he will be able to vault over them.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 06:45:02 am »

No problem.
Miliband managed it.  I'm sure you can  ;D

james44

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 07:20:31 am »
Miliband managed it.  I'm sure you can
;D

Pj

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 10:21:01 am »
Oh dear!  Not sure if I should be reading this thread.  I'm 56 nearly 57.
It's not about being too old it's about health - I know some guys older than me who are fitter, some who are unfitter (spelling!).

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »
Ermmm ::)

I started my business in 2001 - I was 57 at the time.  OK - I've been a window cleaner all my life and was just returning from a break of three years while I tried something else, but I spent the next 2-3 years running up and down a ladder, jumping over gates and doing all the strenuous things you have to when you're trad.

I had a lad working for me one winter, and one very cold day he sat in the van and refused to work because it was too cold.

I took a scrim and ladder, and went and did the next house on his day's list.  I ragged everything (i.e. rubbed like mad till the glass was spotless).  Then I made him shake my hand so he could see how warm it was.

I  told him then: "I'm 57 - more than twice your age.  If you can't at least match what I can do you might as well pack it in now!!"

That shamed him into getting off his a**e and getting back to work.

55 is no age at all - unless the person has serious health problems he should be told to get on and do it properly or get on his bike!!

dai

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »
I was 68 a couple of weeks ago and can still do a full day's graft no problem.
I smoke too much, drink too much and weigh in at 17 stone. If I can get my hand to it I can pull myself over it, but it's getting harder. I get up at 6.15 and go to bed at midnight and that's my problem, I'm just not getting enough sleep.
I have had to pull over for a 15 minute kip when less than 5 miles from home, and I often get in, see to my water and battery, have a shower and get my head down for an hour.
If I push it too hard one day to get an estate finished, I will be drained on the next day by 3pm.
I just need to pace myself a little better, If I could get myself to bed by 10.30 I could fly through the next day, but I just don't do it. It's my own fault if I get knackered. Having a wife in her thirties, and a seven month old baby doesn't help with the sleep deprivation either.
One of these days I will fall from under my poll, but I will only have fallen asleep on ther job. Dai

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:52 pm »
He has to understand that his endeavours must make you a profit so  put him in on an open ended pay scale based on him being paid a percentage of what his work has earned.If he doesn`t think that is fair then he is taking the michael.Watch out,next thing will be him asking what your insurance policies are like when he has tweaked his back or something and he wont even think its personal as if he has been an employee all his life thats what he will expect and bad weather etc means its your fault if he cant work so you keep paying.And all the time he will be thinking HE is doing you a favour.Total recipe for disaster,sell him some suitable work at the full going rate and let him get on with it himself and if he doesnt want to do this then there is your answer,he was only after a cushy number!

roundbuilder

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:54 pm »
no way is 55 too old. I class that as young stiill. Theres a guy near me in he's 70s still going strong. I hope i wont be looked at as unfit for a job at 55...gulp.

Justen Uff

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »
55? Old?

Pj

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 11:04:44 pm »
As I said earlier it's not really about age it's about health.  My brother is in his 61st year and fitter than a butcher's dog.
I am in my 57th year - I have heart disease, diabetes, hiatus hernia, IBS, carpal tunnel syndrome, worn out knees, plantars fasciitis (fallen arches), and since my heart attack I have put on 3 stone.

After my heart attack the doctor offered me the DLA route, I thought about it for a few weeks then decided to look into WFP, I'd been trad wc for about 17 years, I can swing a 45' pole, and climb the odd gate, sometimes we do 12 hour days, sometimes 5, that's the beauty of this it's not a job it's a lifestyle choice. 

Would anyone else employ me?  Probably only Tescos shelf filling!  So I'm happy and count each day ;) 8)