Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TomCrowther

water harvesting what kind of pump?
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:55:43 pm »
Dear All, I have started collecting rainwater into two 1000 litre containers and it's surprising how much you can collect over one night. Next step is to get the water out the IBC's and through a tank of resin into the van. Which is where I need some advice. I have a Ionic Pro 5 in the van and don't want to push the harvested rainwater though this system, I just want to pump it through a resin filter. My question to anyone who has already begun harvesting is, what system do you recommend? What type of pump and what size bottle of filter do you use. I would rather over do it than keep changing the resin, but as I know the rainwater is fairly low tds already, don't want to over complicate things.
{I don't want to pump it straight into the van and filter on the way out because I will be still using the Pro 5 system when out of rainwater}. Cheers in advance.

Spruce

Re: water harvesting what kind of pump?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:04:19 pm »
Hi

I don't harvest rain water, but I am none the less confused. I understand that rain water harvesters catch the rain water from a source ( a roof ) and then transfer it via gravity to a holding tank through a connecting hose with a filter in it. This blocks any debris from making its way into the holding tank. By ensuring that you have clean water in your holding tank, you then can pump it directly into the van, quickly in the normal way. Every time I have collected a sample of rainwater and measured the TDS, it has never been above 2ppm which is fine for cleaning windows.

Resin filters are not water filters for moving dirt and debris, they are primarily a final polishing for removing any remaining dissolved impurities/minerals in the water. As long as the water is clean, then a DI vessel on the van can be used to polish off the water as is being pumped to the brush. As the water is going through the DI very slowly, the resin has a chance to work more effectively when compared to a higher flow. But you don't need a DI vessel if you don't want to as you can clean windows with a TDS reading of 5 or less without issue.

We still have a inline filter before the pump to ensure that the pump is protected against failure as a result for dirt being sucked into it. Rain water won't damage your Pro 5.

Sorry if I have misunderstood the issue here.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:59:25 pm »
Some of us have the resin chamber on the static r/o at home and the water goes into the van tank at 000.

So what kind of pump do you use to transfer harvested water through a resin chamber and either into your holding tank or your van tank?
It's a game of three halves!

Klean07

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »
I too have two 1,000 litre tanks that I use to harvest rain water one from front gutter and one for rear including my neighbours water too. I've got a submersible pump that pumps it straight into my van then out through my di then to through my pole when I'm working.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

TomCrowther

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:54 pm »
Thanks Spruce. I haven't checked the tds of the water in the tanks yet, if it is 2ppm then that's fine. The Pro 5 is brilliant, always 0ppm and I want to keep the tank in the van free of impurities, so I thought I would have to filter on the way in to the van.