Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

Transferring water , help please
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:45:55 am »
Hi,

i am wanting to transfer water from one ibc to another,.......quickly!!

i bought a submersible pump but it would not fit into the ibc lid..... (doh!)

thinking about cutting a new hole in the top and leaving one side uncut to act as a hinge, then  fix some rubber seal on it so it fits back snug,...so i can drop the pump in...

any ideas lads.... dont  think fountain pumps will transfer it quick enough

Thanks.

geefree

Re: Transferring water , help please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:19:43 pm »
And whats the best way to cut out a hole in ibc ? ;D

Fieldsy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »
I haven't cut any holes. At the bottom I have an IBC cap with hozelock connector at the bottom. This runs to a small garden pond pump (which can be run out of water). The other side of the pump has reinforced hosing which I can either plug into the tank in the van or fill barrels. I'll up a pic and show you.

Bought from here, they do a variety

http://first4fish.co.uk/products.asp?cat=16&range=17

Fills my 650 litre no probs  ;)
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

basiljohn

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »
I cut the top of my IBC with a jigsaw, I had to cut a large square so I could get inside and clean it. The piece that was cut is suspended with two cross struts that formed the cage of the IBC.  I have not bothered sealing the cut piece but have left it suspended and covered the top of the IBC with a shower curtain to keep any dirt out and have not had any problems with the quality of water since starting three years ago. I use a submersible pump and find it takes about 6 mins to fillmy 450 ltr tank in my van. 
Hope this helps

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 03:39:26 pm »
I agree. I have a submersible pump which i paid about £45 for with a 1 inch hose straight out of the hole in the tank lid cap. It takes about 8 minutes to fill my 400 ltr tank.

Mist A Bit

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 03:44:02 pm »
i basicaly cut a larger hole inthe top of my ibc tank but my tranfer pump seem a lot slower than what others suggest. maybe i need a shorter hose to the van as its traveling 100mtr through my real before coming out into the van tank

tomy jackson

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:49:29 pm »
just cut two slots in the rim of the hole 1/4 of the way ,

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 04:05:19 pm »
One of the main factors of speed when it comes to transferring water is diameter of the hose. If you are using a standard hose it will take much longer than if you use a 1 inch hose. I use 1 &1/4 inch pond hose.
The other main factor is the transfer rate of your pump

a900

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »
I cut a 'H' into the top off my ibc with a stanley knife. I then removed a small sqare for my hose. Its quite sealed and only takes a few minutes to do.

I pushed my sub pump through the cut and it springs back covering the hole so dirt can't get in, if that makes any sense.

geefree

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 08:26:59 pm »
Thanks for all your helpful replies,

and for taking time out to put a photo on Fieldsy  !  ;)

I hav decided to take the pump back and use the one fieldsy uses, that also will fit in the lid too... as its 12cm max...and the opening is 13cm in  diameter

Thanks again. ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:50:04 pm »
Thanks for all your helpful replies,

and for taking time out to put a photo on Fieldsy  !  ;)

I hav decided to take the pump back and use the one fieldsy uses, that also will fit in the lid too... as its 12cm max...and the opening is 13cm in  diameter

Thanks again. ;)
using it this way will waste your time (big time), I would cut a v in the top of the ibc, im filling a 650l tank in less than 10 mins, pump from wickes less than £40.

standard hose pipe pumps will take and age and cost you time and money gaz, rethink it m8 IMO.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

R W C™

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:47 pm »
Transfering through that must take ages

BEFORE

R W C™

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »
AFTER

geefree

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:32:35 pm »
going to use 3/4 inch hose pipe, the pump runs continuous wet or dry at 3700 litres per hour,so even if it turns out to be half that , it should be fine....

i dont get the picture above.

cheers

Gary.

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »
you will not imo get anywhere near half that Gaz, if you do your doing very well, im using 1.5 inch hose and fill 650 in less than 10 mins , from wickes pump as said I think thats rated at 110l a min

so yours worked out it is 61.66666r so may get 50lpm if lucky so half as quick,. unsure what cost your looking at but here is what I use and it works and has done for a way way over a year maybe 2 or more

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Portable-Water-Pump/invt/189522
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

peterharwood

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »

weetot

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »
Screwfix.....Clear water submersible pump. £34.00
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

geefree

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 09:48:20 pm »
Hi had submersible friday, b and q... 30 quid, took it back today.

both tanks are in vans and i did not want to cut them as the sub pump did not fit in the lid hole,

so went for this

3000 LTR INLINE/IMMERSIBLE WATER PUMP FOR KOI,FISH,POND

[/img]