Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

cleaning vinyl
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »
got a call from some leaflets we put out today, guy had a speed boat on his drive, wewere only round the corner when he phoned so went round to have a look. it was vinyl seats and dashboard, minging. has anyone had success at cleaning this? i have pictures but can't be assed to put them up unless someone has a good knowledge of this material.

any help would be grateful as putting leaflets out is hard work so it'd be nice to get something from our day.

cheers in advance

michael wadsworth

Re: cleaning vinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:46:12 pm »
Derek, about thirty years ago we got the contract to clean all the vinyl chairs at the ICI offices in Runcorn, and as my memory serves me there were over a thousand of  them. We started off with the Servicemaster powder for vinyl which I think was trisodium phosphate and it was very hard going with a lot of hard scrubbing. After we had done about twenty we were dreading carrying on, then I suggested that we try "Flash". I went out and bought some and we started to experiment and it was a lot easier. We found that the optmum performance came with 1 heaped tablespoon of "Flash" to 1 pint of near boiling water (Thick rubber gloves essential) simply wipe it on with a terry towel and leave about 30 seconds, wipe off and hey presto effortless cleaning. These chairs were twenty or so years old and were extemely grotty. Hope "Flash" haven't changed the formula. Hope this helps. Mike
All it takes for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.

derek west

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »
cheers mike, i'll put some pickies up.
just had 3rd call from leaflets, woohoo.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:30 pm »
Citrus conc will clean that Derek. You may have some areas where moisture has penetrated between the face and backing, not a lot you could do with them bits.

derek west

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:01:11 pm »
woohoo, i'll give it ago tomoz john, karate kid style, (wipe on wipe off) or should i let it dwell?
cheers

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »
Spray agitate with soft brush wipe off.

richy27

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:34:04 pm »
derek john has answered your question i used on very sim job to the one in question with great results

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »
Derek agree on the citra concentrate. now some will hate me for this but on my boat and a lot of guys in the club where i moor use CILIT BANG AND RINSE IT OFF
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:17:05 pm »
Vinyl is a bit like pigmented leather so watchout for peeling and colour loss, citrus concentrate will cut through the grease but Judy at LTT would be telling you to clean with a safe ph neutral foam.

Shaun

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 10:29:30 pm »
shaun citra concentrate is neutral and does work on boat seats my seats are cream with brown running through them mix 20:1 in spray bottle spray on soft brush as JK said wipe off with damp sponge dry with towel.

derek west

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:58:59 pm »
did a test patch with cit con today, sides came up like new but the dash was too pitted to make any real results, just need to wait and see if its worth £50 to the guy, he wasn't there so got to wait.

John Kelly

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »
Steve they should be ashamed of themselves. Should be using safe product for external cleaning. I use a colloid on the outside of mine. The US navy use the same as it is safe to wash into the sea.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:27:47 am »
Yeah agree on that jk but with the us navy its not bang and the dirts gone its bang and every bloody things gone thats pollution for ya ;D

richie

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:22 am »
Derek,
We used to clean this type of stuff many years ago and found that MP9 from Premiere Products worked great.

Richie.

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 07:55:13 am »
Derek,
We used to clean this type of stuff many years ago and found that MP9 from Premiere Products worked great.

Richie.

MP9 there's a name from the past  :)
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

richie

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 09:10:00 am »
Got to be honest Mark, ive not used it for a couple of years but i remember it been a really good multi purpose chemical.  They then bought out MP10 but that wasnt as good.

Richie.