Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Sticking window bars back on
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
Plastic crummy window bars - what's best thing to use? Double sided tape, silicone, glue at the ends? or what?

dmlservices

Re: Sticking window bars back on
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:33:24 pm »
hi dave
i do a few houses  with these bars , not had one come of yet though , they are fixed with heavy duty double sided tape . you can get it from any double glazing firms.

they are crap though , dont know why they dont use proper windows, as they are fitted to some high end houses on my rounds.

daz

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:03 pm »
Cheers, I'll pop into the local double glazing people next time it rains. Got one house and they fall off for a pastime, I promised to fit them back on months ago.  :-\

Mike 108

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:53:45 pm »
Dave,

Most times it is the horizontal sections, each side of the 'vertical' bar, that fall off.

I have found that if you brush the window glass 'side to side' and don't use any 'up and down' strokes, they usually stay put.

(I assume it is because the 'sticky tape' on horizontal bars are 'affected' more by rain water resting on them, soaking into the tape and weakening/diluting the glue)

Try it.

Mike

JSMC

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:56:09 pm »
window bars?

Mike 108

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »
Imitation 'Georgian' windows (uPVC). The 'bars' are 'stuck' onto the outside of the glass - instead of being 'sandwiched' between the two panes of a 'sealed unit'.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:02:09 pm »
As has been said double sided tape from a double glazing firm, I clean on an estate where there often falling off so I keep a roll of it in the van, costs about £10 but worth having. 
Sussex by the sea