Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shaun_Ashmore

Aniline cleaning
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:38:57 pm »
I've had 3 aniline leather suite enquiries in the past week all of then with bad head grease and colour fade all of them worth quite a bit of money, is there anything I could use to get a decent clean? what can I expect to see as a result?

Shaun

adimarsh

Re: Aniline cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:46:16 pm »
If you get one of those clean Shaun let me know and you can teach me. Personally I walk away from them.............too much like trouble.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:50:32 pm »
Looking for the near impossible I think.

Shaun

Steve Chapman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:34 pm »
It's basically easier to re dye them than clean, most will not respond well to cleaning and will be like flogging a dead horse.

A re dye will have a dramatic effect on the appearance and is easier than re colouring a pigmented leather .

The benefit of aniline suites is there normally worth the customer shelling out the money to restore them.
Regards
steve

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »
The one I saw today needs degreasing first but the re dye isn't that easy as it's done in a 2 tone and when I mentioned £400-600 they nearly fainted albeit approx 20% of the original cost.

Shaun

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:59:00 am »
Judy at LTT can give you expert help or Kev Loomes on here

Good Luck

Paul
"So basically its a big vax!"

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:41:37 am »
Grease and fading problems are not cleaning problems and will not be resolved by the cleaning process. 

You can only 'clean' from the surface of leather and not out of it.

The Aniline Cleaner we now use is great at enhancing the colour of aniline leather and cleaning from the surface (which is all you can do). As it has no surfactants in it, it does not soak into the leather like regular leather cleaners will, hence it will provide the surface cleaning that is needed.  The results from cleaning with this are generally very good as the colour is lifted and they look cleaner and brighter but it will not take care of headgrease problems and spillages that have already stained the leather.

The grease problem could have been prevented by the use of Ultra Protect but unfortuantely the customers are not given this info on purchase and only call us in when the problem is bad and needs resolving.  Degreasing generally will pull out colour from the leather and will then need restoration work which can be tricky especially on isolated areas. 

2 tone leathers are generally created with pigments and/or finishes rather than aniline dyes  (although most aniline leathers do look slightly mottled). There are some very odd finishes on the market at the moment which will not respond to aniline dyes in the same way that the original aniline style leathers would so care must be taken in your identification of the correct process to use.

Fading can only be taken care of by redying which is a very straight forward process and most people are happy to pay the money as aniline suites are generally high value items. 
It is a shame that more people are not given correct care information by the shops. 
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Roger Koh

Re: Aniline cleaning New
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »
I've had 3 aniline leather suite enquiries in the past week all of then with bad head grease and colour fade all of them worth quite a bit of money, is there anything I could use to get a decent clean? what can I expect to see as a result?

Shaun

You can expect to see result like these pictures shown.

Pick-up these 4 free samples, find a head greased leather jacket or suite and run a test on it.

Let us know your findings, with pictures posting please, to qualify for the free samples.

#1 A Test Clean with a pH 2.2 Degreaser and a pH 3.0 Rinse produce a decent result like this

#2 – This is after a pH 5.0 Fatliquor and a Gloss Aniline Top-Coat to restore the damaged topcoating (due to the urea in the perspiration that shift the pH value, that’s why it bleeds too) in most cases.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®
info@leatherdoctor.org