Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

smearo

how would you approach this one
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:22:40 pm »
got a call from a custy 2 weeks ago saying i have scratched her window sills on 3 different windows i use a vikan oval brush and i am due to visit her tom morning how would you approach this one it is a 6 weekly job ? i personally can not see me the operator being at fault ? she has varnished wooden sills...

pt

Re: how would you approach this one
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »
As much as we like to think that we are carefull. I think we can all say that we have all scratched a cill or two.....I have.

smearo

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »
so you are saying this is possible and the custy is not pulling a fast one ?

Ste M

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:31:58 pm »
personally i would take a look at them and see what the damge is, then i would offer to sand them down and repaint them. If you just get arsey with her and tell her were to go then she will tell every single person she knows how bad you are, if you turn up all apologetic then she will appreciate this and your business wont suffer, in fact she may go on to recommend you to more of her friends

pt

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:39:32 pm »
I've been Wfp for four years. I clean windows in a methodical manner and don't rush. I know that I have scrathed one or two ground floor cills, can't honestly say I havnt scrathed one or two first floor cills. I think you'll know if it is you. All you can really do is to say sorry and just be extra careful in the future.

scottt24

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:43:12 pm »
agree with steM might be worth taking your brush up the ladder to check where the scratches are in relation to anything on your brush or pole that could cause the scratches.
Not worth spitting your dummy out over a few sills and risk losing reputation
Thanks,
              Scott

paul rulton

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:33 pm »

I think you'll know if it is you. All you can really do is to say sorry and just be extra careful in the future.
thats all i would do m8  ;D

lcwalker

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:15:19 pm »
Have alook if it seems like you did scratch them just do them trade  from now on, but i wouldn't sand the and revarnish them it would just be to much hassle or you could offer a couple of free clean if shes not happy after that you would have no choice than to drop her from your round.

TLC

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:38:21 pm »
Tell her just before you cleaned the windows you saw a cat with very long claws playing on her window sills and you scared it off by squirting it with your pole! she will thank you and recommend you to all her friends!
problem solved

mark dew

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »
ffc, don't panic!!!  ;D
I think there is a very good chance that you have left what appear to be scratches if you use that brush. Have you taken the rubber around the edge off?
But all won't be lost. Take a scrim and some upvc cleaner (Less than a fiver from bnq etc) with you and polish the frames. I used to get the same with vikan  before i used supalite brush.
Cleaning the sills with the upvc cleaner will make those marks disappear.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:27 am »
personally i would take a look at them and see what the damge is, then i would offer to sand them down and repaint them. If you just get arsey with her and tell her were to go then she will tell every single person she knows how bad you are, if you turn up all apologetic then she will appreciate this and your business wont suffer, in fact she may go on to recommend you to more of her friends
very gud advise bet she wud reccomend you to a few
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

StanA

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 05:17:27 am »
got a call from a custy 2 weeks ago saying i have scratched her window sills on 3 different windows i use a vikan oval brush and i am due to visit her tom morning how would you approach this one it is a 6 weekly job ? i personally can not see me the operator being at fault ? she has varnished wooden sills...

It is quite possible.  I stopped using Vikans after this happening.  This was with 16" Vikans.  The smaller oval ones often have a red rubber surround.  This can lead to red marks being left on the frame.  No problem if you see them and remove but a pig to shift if they are left till later.  Part of the problem was that the poles I was using at the time had goosenecks where the angle was not adjustable and I didn't realise that the side of the brush stock was causing scratching until shown by a customer.  Vikan sill brushes (those funny shaped ones) are a better bet but I found their shape awkward to work with.  So I ended up with lighter poles where the goosenewck angle was adjustable in order to prevent the scratching.  It also helps having splayed bristles because you can brush along the sill more easily without the stock touching the sill.

smearo

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »
been round there today had to hold my hands up....
am gonna repair the sills give her a couple more
cleans then drop her..
not worth the hassle for a £12 job...

Ste M

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:36 pm »
ffc, well done mate, i wouldnt drop her though, if it is your fault and you have held your hands up then why drop her? she was well within her rights to compain as im sure you would if it was her fault that some of your equipment was broken by herself.

We live and learn in this job more than what people realise

scottt24

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:24:40 pm »
dont drop her, just do what you told her you would do and carry on as normal.
she will probably be happy that you have kept your word and start recommending you to everyone she knows and some that she doesn't. :D :D
Thanks,
              Scott

john tomkins

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »
Had this before with a customer, it's just surface scratches in the discolouration of the sills, just get some upvc solvent cleaner and it'll just wipe away.

smearo

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:44:13 pm »
what even on wooden sills john

Ste M

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:35 pm »
i think everyone keeps on missing the point you made in your origianl post, there wooden sills ;D

john tomkins

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 11:43:58 pm »
i think everyone keeps on missing the point you made in your origianl post, there wooden sills ;D

I'm sure he just added that ;)