Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Martin ccs

The year so far and hows yours?
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:37:30 pm »
2010 - wasnt the best of starts to a year, snow really effected alot of wc's.

my start hasnt been great so far - busy contract cleaning & commercial & domestic wc business and the snow really made it hard to get out there after xmas.

had a nightmare with swapping over to wfp from trad - bad customer service, stuff delivered smashed up etc....
finally had all the kit to put into one of the vans and it broke down, so thought stuff this - new van!

staff constantly nagging and moaning!

my domestic round has turned into a bit of a monster and is starting to effect my life outside of the business - although having your own business feels like you cant step out of work mode.

motivations gone and i cant be bothered with it! - i see a few have this prob at the mo

but hey its nice outside now and we can work!

anyone running a largish business having a better year so far?

cozy

Re: The year so far and hows yours?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »
Some had it worse mate.Was minus 5 here untill 10 days ago. Lost about 3K worth of WC work through 12 weeks of heavy snow. Had just enough carpet & upholstery work to pull us through. Eating beans on toast for the last 4 weeks lol. ;)
Weather has changed at last and we are picking up alot of new dom WC work, but that winter was a real killer for loads of guys.

Isn't it great to be self employed!!! ;D

Martin ccs

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »
plenty of brown sauce on that beans on toast?  :)

formb

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:50:23 pm »
Lost 1 month in total this winter. Not nice when you still have everyone's wages to pay.

Never mind over the worst now.

Give me 2 months I'll be moaning it's too hot.

cozy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:53:34 pm »
Yes mate, ze gurmuns sell brown sause  ;D I reckon we are back on track just now, but missing a wad like that was nasty on the bank account. What don't kill ya ................ :)

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:58:28 pm »
same as most window cleaners!crap january!picked up a bit in feb.in the zone march!! ;D ;D

ive had a big overhaul of my round.put 80% of my prices up and only lost 4!picked up 5 better priced ones.conny roof cleaning,fascia,soffit work coming in now!

dropped a few badpayers/dog crap infested holes!

this year is a big investment year for me.new van and changeover to wfp around july time!

IM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SPRING/SUMMER!!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

cozy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »
Those tips about using trad pole in snow Daz, owe you one for that mate  :)

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »
hi cozy!yeh i used the trad pole with screenwash/fairy in the bucket quite a bit over the cold months!kept me ticking over! ;)

it gets below freezing for months at a time where you are cozy doesnt it??itll keep you earning even if your just gettin 3 -4 hours in a day!! ;) ;D ;D

all the best mate

dazmond :) :)
price higher/work harder!

Archer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »

Up to now,

Lost = £2k per year. but picked up £30k

Just hope it carrys on like that

jonnyald

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:49 pm »
it feels nice , works steadily flowing in and im still on top of it all  .   cut down a wagtail flipper to 13  incher and drilled holes in it for lightness . elbow and wrist is benefiting and im enjoying every minute on the streets  ;D

cozy

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:24:51 pm »
Didnt someone suggest you only do ground floor when the snow makes it too dangerous?  ;)

Yes mate, that was Matt Bateman, another good tip

cozy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »
Yeah, sometimes he makes a bit of sense, but he has never been the sharpest knife in the drawer ;D

paul rulton

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:50 pm »
same as it was 4 every1...... SLOW :P
but its startin 2roll well now  :D

elite mike

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 05:48:21 pm »
Yeah, sometimes he makes a bit of sense, but he has never been the sharpest knife in the drawer ;D
He must have known what he was talking about then.

sussed you, red sea was great matt  8) ;)

Steve CM

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
getting better every week. long may in continue

Dale Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 06:31:19 pm »
According to George I am not far off £7,000 down this year so far (crashing the van, bad weather are the reasons).
But on the plus side, work is good at the moment, and new work coming in every week so I am hoping to pull it back over the rest of the year  :)
Swindon, Wiltshire.

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »
Hectic, absolute madness.

kevin James

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:11:28 pm »
The lack of motivation bit:

I reckon, in my case, it's when I don't have realistic targets or had enough of my own company.

For the guys who employ it may be the sheer load of organising not just your own work but t'others.
Way round this:  encourage good natured competition. Everyone looks after their own gear ( give them control over their gear budget), divvy the work up fairly & pay bonuses for top guys. Include yourself so you get meaningful exercise & finger on the pulse. It's what I'd do if I ever employ.

Kevin.

As regards my year: weathers been good in Somerset & have worked each day. My target is to try & not dip below £200 a day. It happens but as long as I figure what went wrong & put remedy in action, I don't beat myself up.

It helps me tussle the round into shape to give good days.