Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

spindle

sofa cleaning
« on: June 23, 2005, 12:51:49 pm »
i got a job to clean 2 sofas on saturday..................the sofas are an orange colour with removeable covers but the customer is too lazy to take them off and wash them wants them to be cleaned with the covers still on.....is this a problem?      i have some "fab clean"....will this do the job?
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

therapist

Re: sofa cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 03:34:12 pm »
Never heard of 'fab clean', but you might regret starting to clean a removable cover, with a machine.

It can be done but............not advisable

r m

Mark Roberts

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 04:10:56 pm »
If a tradsman turned up at your door and was using chemicals he knew nothing about, and wasnt even sure of the correct way to clean madams sofa, would you want him in your house?
Sofas arn't cheap, if it goes wrong are you insured?
With a bit of training you would have no need no ask this question. Harsh but true ;)!

Mark

spindle

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 11:08:32 pm »
 dear mark         and there i was thinking that the forum was here to advise and help people! i can read the label on the chemical and follow the instructions.but i was asking if it can be done.has anyone done it before i was asking for advice! :'( :'( :'(
if i didnt care about what and how i do my job i wouldn't be here asking for advice i did suggest to madam to remove the covers but she didnt want to.........
i dont belive that you have never had an ocassion where you requested help and advice from other people with more experience..........

ps   therapist

"fab clean" is a upholstery cleaner available from a leading supplier......pr***em

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 11:17:41 pm »
Loose covers that have been in place for some time will have stretched and using an extraction machine will only make this worse. Cleaning by hand with terry towels etc, may not be sufficient so i would advise they be removed and cleaned. You could refit and steam covers back into place making them look as good as new.
If the customer says no then qualify the poor expected results before starting and get a signature agreeing to this. No comeback if they are less than happy with the finish.

Good luck.

spindle

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 11:22:54 pm »
thanks for your constructive help...........i think i will tell madam that i will remove them and wash them for her at the same cost............................

A J B

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 11:42:38 pm »
Cleaning in situ has never been a problem for me

Apart from the sheer pain of it. It's a nightmare
if you can get them to agree to removal do it
It will save your shoulder joints uneccessary wear and tear.

david_m

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:56:15 pm »

hi spindle

done quite a few of these suites always done them
with the covers on to much hassel removing and coming
back to refit again fab clean would be ok for this job
if you use prochem products upholstery restorer is an
exalent prespray for upholstery i would  recomend it in this
type of suite , agitate with either a upholstery brush our a
scrunge sponge

davy

Mark Roberts

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 12:18:42 am »
Dear Spindle,

Going on your previous posts you have had no training. My advise as before would be to get some asap.
This would then give you all the basics, I would have thought if you really cared about your job that is what you would do. I never touched a customers sofa until I had.
Lets say you take the above advise and you put the covers though the wash, covers come out faded having lost there colour or have been bleached lighter. With a bit of training you learn how to test fabric and all the different methods for cleaning, this could save you from having to buy a replacement set when it goes wrong. These forums are for advise, and that is mine  ;)

Mark

spindle

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 12:39:45 am »
hi mark...................the covers are already not in the best condition they are already sun bleached in places............she basically just wants them refreshed........... i am planning to take courses which i have booked but rome wasnt built in a day  .......everyday brings new knowledge... i dont profess to be an expert just asking for opinions of the experts.......... :) :)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 08:10:37 am »
Spindle,

I too have cleaned many loose cover suites in situ .

I think the chances of getting old stretched covers off , cleaned and back on nicely , are very snall.

A classic case of managing customer expectation.

Prespray and work in with a microfibre cloth then extraction will be easier and you should not overwet.

Cheers,

Doug

therapist

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 02:23:36 pm »
A point worth mentioning............if covers are removed for cleaning, they should be re fitted while slighly damp, otherwise they will prove extremely difficult to fit, without bursting zips, distorting cushions, breaking finger nails.

Yes, I learned the hard way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob m

spindle

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 12:28:59 am »
now i can see the benefit of other peoples mistakes ;D ;D ;D

thanks rob!!!!!!

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 09:38:10 pm »
Hi Spindle.
You are a brave man cleaning upholstery without first having had training. Good luck with the future training courses and tread carefully.

Kind regards

Steve

spindle

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 10:01:52 am »
well today is sunday.................................the customer was very happy        also asked me to clean 3 rugs and 6 chairs as well..............................but now my back aches ;D ;D

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 11:37:14 am »
Good job Spindle, this new found confidence will give you the springboard for future success (just don't forget the training).