Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bob hamilton

Seasonal peaks and troughs
« on: September 16, 2003, 12:18:26 pm »
I've been running my carpet & upholstery business  since march this year doing mostly domestic work and have been advertising successfully in the local paper, dropping leaflets and am now in the yellow pages . Since the beginning of september business has all but dried up. Could someone who has been around for a while tell me whether this is a normal seasonal dip or am I missing something? Also when are the recognised seasonal up's and downs for those who have not yet established themselves?

Derek

Re: Seasonal peaks and troughs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 08:50:09 pm »
Hi Bob

Most of the cleaners I know are extremely busy at the moment.
What you have to take into consideration is the fact that most have been around for years and have a good client base to work with.

The quietest time of year is the two or three months after Christmas so now is the time to do any marketing.

Advertising .... it takes months for your name to become known ... just make sure that you do a good job and give a good service so that each customer becomes a salesperson for you.

A clean well signwritten van is a 'must' as everytime you drive around you are advertising your business.. this has to be the cheapest form of advertising for you.

Come along to the Show in Wolverhampton... talk and meet other cleaners you will pick up a lot of tips there I guarantee

Regards
Derek

bob hamilton

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 06:10:16 pm »
Derek,

Thanks for that. I will be at the show on Friday and look forward to talking to some of you experienced guys.

Bob

woodman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 09:21:01 pm »
Goes with the territory I am afraid we've all been there .

When I first started it got to the point where I was sure my calls were being diverted by a rival because no one was getting through to me  ; :( I know.

As Derek says  February,March are generally slow months (unless lots of lovely storms).

When the kids are on holidays is another time mum can't be bothered while the little darlings need amusing and of course summer hols.

Just plan ahead and you'll be fine

Adrian Makel

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 07:30:55 pm »
have never noticed any particular dry periods but if i did would have to swallow pride and do leaflet drop,WOULD EXPECT 10 JOBS PER 1000,1%. ;D

John_Flynn

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 08:01:57 pm »
Now into my 6th year NEVER known it so quiet!!
I get better looking each day!!

Adrian Makel

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 07:28:14 am »
things are pretty busy here. ;D ;D ;D

therapist

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:44:27 am »
I agree with John, it's the first long and sustained, quiet spell I've erver experienced in 20 years although I have no advertising ( deliberately )

I don't however, believe it's anything to do with c / c
as business, generally, is pretty low

It will pick up and the heavy marketeers omong us won't even have noticed

r m

bob hamilton

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 09:11:26 am »
Thanks for all your feedback chaps even if it took nearly 2 years. My original post is dated back in sept03!! ???

Business is fine just now though.

Regards
Bob

Adrian Makel

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 03:08:10 pm »
pleased to hear it bob,but at least now you know just what to do if things get slow again. ;D

John_McGavin

Re: Seasonal peaks and troughs New
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 03:57:24 pm »
Better late than never Bob eh?  :)

How are you anyway mate? U still up for that beer sometime? If so give me a call and we can get something organised.

Got a favour to ask you too mate. My wifes due in August so is it ok to point any cust's in your direction nearer the time? Silly question but I dont want to do it if your maybe going on holiday or something.

Cheers

John

PS the link from yell.com to your website isnt working. just thought u'd like to know
John, Falkirk, Scotland