Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

Anyone put there prices up and lost?
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:14:52 pm »
Mine are going up...

just wondered how some of you guys got on recently , if you had a price increase .

Did you lose many?

Gary.

pingu

Re: Anyone put there prices up and lost?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:16:46 pm »
I'm too scared to put my prices up...started Oct 06 not one price rise yet 8)

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »
 put some up 4 and 5quid the other week!wasnt bothered about losing them as they were v.underpriced.now there worth doing!not one said no!most of my underpriced work goes up every april by 50p or a pound.all new work is priced higher and ive got about 60 custys im going to give the ultimatum treatment after xmas.ive worked too long for too little money in this game{15 yrs} ???im not doing too bad though!ive got a 5 yr plan to turn around my business into a v.good earner!

best wishes dazmond
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »
put some up 4 and 5quid the other week!wasnt bothered about losing them as they were v.underpriced.now there worth doing!not one said no!most of my underpriced work goes up every april by 50p or a pound.all new work is priced higher and ive got about 60 custys im going to give the ultimatum treatment after xmas.ive worked too long for too little money in this game{15 yrs} ???im not doing too bad though!ive got a 5 yr plan to turn around my business into a v.good earner!

best wishes dazmond

Wow! Top man!
It's a game of three halves!

daz1977

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30:01 pm »
i havent put up any prices yet, but have started charging a £1 a windows and have not had any one say no yet  my last 3 jobs have been prices at £20, £13, £14 comapred to £5, £5  £6 when i first started,  dont be afraid to price right,  the worse thing they can say is no and u replace them with a better paid job

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:46:38 pm »
i never put any up for years and i was working myself into the ground.[busy fool i know!  ::)
].i needed to bite the bullet and put them up!and im continuing to bang my round into shape.im a bloody good window  cleaner!and im trustworthy and reliable but working too cheap if im honest!well i have a lot more confidence since joining this forum 8 months ago.its helped in getting my business into perspective and found lots of tips and advice.ive made a lot of mistakes in life and nearly lost my business a few yrs ago due to drink.been sober a few yrs now and can see the potential in my round now.onward and upward!WFP and van next year.a whole new learning curve!

thanks to everyone

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Mike #1

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »
well done dazmond keep it going

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »
Not put prices up as I've only just started out, but thanks to this forum I have the confidence to ask a decent price for my work(well in my area).

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 07:21:37 pm »
Probably like most here, I've got work that's underpriced, priced rightly, and priced highly!

Next year I'll increase my underpriced to priced rightly; I can take any losses; I'm normally £300 to £500 not cleaned each month.

Maybe the year after I'll have the guts to price some of my priced rightly, to priced highly.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
I've been doing price rises the past 2 months. A couple of streets of terraced houses (Front only) went from €4 to €6, all my €15 houses went to €18, some of the €20 ones went to €25,... I added €35 to one big job 2 weeks ago! I'm trying to average a 20% increase over the entire round,.. but its mostly the older jobs or the ones that I inherited from my father in law that are getting the big hits,.. he hadn't increased prices since 2002!

So far, not a single one has dropped me or complained. :)

Craig 72

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:36 pm »
I recently bought a round off a bloke who hadn't put his prices up in four years.Some of them are ridiculously cheap and I'm having to work hard to get decent money at the end of the day.I've only been doing it 3 months so I think if I whacked a price increase so soon I would be given the elbow by a lot of customers.Having said that,I think you can judge what a customer is like as to whether they will wear an increase or not.There's some customers who I'm sure would be outraged at the prospect of a 50p increase.I think though that even if you lost a quarter of your customers,the three quarters you had left would make up the difference so you would be earning the same wedge but for less work.

david thomas

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:51:06 pm »
Its the older people who get upset imo

Neil271052

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:37:06 am »
Some people may be happy to carry on but a price rise gives them an excuse to get rid of you.
Cheers,
Neil

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:59 am »
hi, gazza just posted on your other subject steady away.

I'd wait til spring so any casaulties can be replaced quicker as i belive this to be better time for canvassing.

i'm extending frequency out to 6 weeks in spring as i think this will help absorb shock of price rise, to existing custies, most w/c's  say they call on montly cycle but in reality probably get round in 5 weeks,  10 cleans a year, so i don't think custie will notice any difference, to windows, just to pocket ;D (my other post explains a little more on this)

don't know if your wfp gazza?
thanks
lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Londoner

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 09:59:48 am »
My experience is that very few refuse outright but may make other arrangements later. Don't leave price increases too long because then you will have a big increase when the time comes. Its pretty hard to put a £5 job up to £10.
1st Jan is a good excuse to put your prices up and you can warn your customers now that you are having to make "a small price increase" in the new year.

DaveG

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 10:16:01 am »
I havent started to put my prices up yet..but any new work that comes in gets quoted at a "good" price
You can't polish a turd

wizard

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »
Keeping ones prices static is not good business. Think of your supermarket there prices go council tax they go up, ask yourself why. Only one answers INFLATION. Our cost goes up like any other and if we do not have growth our business stagnate. What most do is increase volume of work ,we work harder , more customers a day .We are on the what to burnout, stress and all that goes with it. I hear this every day on this forum. No motivated etc. So mates keep a small increase every year or twice a year, but smaller. A good time is at Christmas as people are flusher and in good spirits and do not seam to notice it. Do not make a big fuss when you announce it. Do not write and tell your customer as this draws attention to your increase just tell them as a matter of fact. If they say anything negative, sympathise with them .Say “it’s difficult out there with things going up, but what can we do and blame the bank situation.
I hope this might help as I know it is a fear we all face in our business. Good luck. Richard