Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul moss

local homeserve struggling
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:09:48 pm »
A big insurance company by me call Anglia ( Dyserth) was bought out a couple of years ago by one of the large homeserve franchises.

Looks like they are in trouble.

Are times getting harder?

This is from my local paper

THE FUTURE of employees at a major Denbighshire company has been plunged into doubt with the news that 90 people could be made redundant.

The property repair company HomeServe said it is facing challenging economic conditions and admits it has started a consultation period with staff.

The company, which has sites in Dyserth, Shrewsbury and Warrington, repairs properties after a householder has had a fire or water pipe damage at their home and contacted their insurers.

Office workers, estimators and tradesmen are said to be among employees hit by the latest redundancies.

Known as Anglia HomeServe in Dyserth, the company had already shed jobs before Christmas and one worker said staff were told last week that 90 more redundancies are imminent.

One unnamed worker said: “We’re absolutely devastated. Morale is really low and everyone is worried to death. There used to be 280 staff across our three sites in the UK until 18 months ago.

HomeServe interim PR director Ian Whitaker would not comment on the claim that 90 job losses had been announced.

Nor would he comment on any losses before Christmas.

But Mr Whitaker did say in a statement: “As a result of the challenging economic environment, which is affecting many UK businesses, HomeServe Emergency Services is facing pressure on margins and trading volumes.

“We have moved quickly to respond to these market conditions, reorganising our businesses to help secure long-term profitability while maintaining service levels to key clients.

“In our Anglia business, we have undertaken a fundamental review of the business and have now begun a period of consultation with affected employees.

“The majority of employees within the Anglia business are not impacted by the change and continue to work normally.

“HomeServe’s three membership businesses continue to progress well, with our international businesses expected to deliver a profit on a combined basis for the first time this year.

“Our UK membership business in particular continues to perform well, with sales and renewals remaining strong in the fourth quarter of 2008.”

In May 2007, Homeserve plc announced it had acquired the Dyserth-based business Anglia NW Ltd in a move that added an additional 204 employees to its “market leading” property repairs business.

At that time, the FTSE 250 company employed more than 4,000 staff at several sites in its warranties, home repair and home emergency businesses.

The acquisition of Anglia, which includes the Dyserth and Shrewsbury premises, was said in 2007 to “expand its property repairs capability”.

Re: local homeserve struggling
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:07 pm »
I must admit it's been some time since I had a phonecall from them trying to sell me insurance against everything except the sky turning yellow with pink spots resulting in acid rain that rots the roof tiles away.
The market place has been saterated for some years now with companies insuring everything within the home so perhaps their timing was a bit late.
Don't Homeserve own Chemdry or something like them?

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:42:25 pm »
Paul

As an old established company 1853 nothing surprises me.

Look like the two brothers will be losing out on £18mil. ;) :'( LV should be ashamed of them-selves? (Oh just renewed my home insurance with them cheap a saving of nearly 300quid!) wonder who pick up this work? See a hotel has problems. Buyouts-takeover’s some one has to go sad but fact!

Sorry to here you lost their contract lm was it? ;)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

CATMAN

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:37 am »
Homeserve are pulling out of the home emergency repairs business, that section of its business is up for sale.

Homeserve have stated 1/10/09

"Anglia Homeserve will shut the business if a buyer can’t be found and yesterday a 90-day consultation period began with staff at the company’s Dyserth headquarters".

Homerserve bought a company with a dismal  record on repairs and overtime insurers have gone elsewhere due to complaints. Their customers now use other national builders. They have now lost their biggest customer LV Insurance, so it doesn't look good come Xmas. The two brother that sold Anglia did at the top of the market just before the insurance market turned.

Chem-Dry is no longer owned by Homeserve its been bought out by a company called Evander Group run by their management.  They are to be retained by LV.

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:14:26 am »
I see that FFDR have moved south they clear up with insurance work in scotland, look like they are doing the same down south :o :o :o
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

lesterM

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:24:14 pm »
Its good to see them bringing in the Consultation period, ie abiding by the law. Unlike Woolies where the Protective Awards claims because of the cavalier action of the liquidators, will be sitting in the courts forever.
Is there are change going on . Are closing companies to be fair in helping the employees to get their dues.
No Job Too Odd.
Dont Panic - let us do it for you.
Pure dealers since 1746

Ricky M

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:59:03 pm »
Good , F em
have clients that have tried to deal with them and there a real bunch of Cu@#s.
I feel for the folks who are losing there income this close to xmas and really hope they find work soon
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

slioch

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:52:46 pm »
I know some guys at Homeserve ChemDry - some on the restoration side and some on the carpet cleaning.  All say that they are a terrible outfit to work for. 

What seems clear to me is that their scheduling of work cuts across their (bogus) claims of quality service.  The DAILY target for for one guy with a truckmount (joke of a machine) is £750.

Good independent operators can beat ChemDry on quality without any bother.