Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Eddie Conroy

Independants working for Insurance Companies
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:52:58 pm »
I have just had an urgent job cancelled (to remove soot) as the clients own insurers wish to send their own nominated contractor.
Apart from the small blessing of not having to do this carpet, are any of you guys (outside of Servicemaster, Chemdry, Rainbow)  doing work direct with insurance companies/ loss adjusters? or will they only entertain organisations with nationwide coverage?
I fully appreciate that getting into large organisations can be difficult and I would need more formal training, but is only the big guys that can go for this work?
regards
Eddie

Barry Pearce

Re: Independants working for Insurance Companies
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 08:12:14 pm »
Eddie.
Big, Small, doesn't matter,Only the proven qualified.
Barry

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 08:21:30 pm »
Barry,
I do know if you believe in second sight but I have sent you a pm on another matter
Regards
Eddie

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:24:19 pm »
Eddie

The insurance companies like to deal with national networks largely because of the paperwork and pricing systems they have in place. This makes it easier for their admin. What a lot of people don't realise about insurance companies is that they are not there to fix your house when something goes wrong, not primarily anyway. Their business is investments, your premium is their investment tool. The claims side of the business is a nightmare to them and they want to offload it as simply and cost effectively as possible.
Also what a lot of people are unaware of is, that they are legally entitled to use any contractor of their choice as long as they are competent. The insurance company will try and put them off by saying the work won't be guaranteed etc exactly for the reasons I have mentioned.
It is possible to pick some crumbs up as an independant, this entails a lot of ground work building up relationships with loss adjusters etc. Also some work available from the larger brokers who want to keep their clients happy and will send someone round to deal quickly. Some of the insurance companies do not have contractors on standby and it is sometimes the loss adjuster who turns up first, usually a few days after the event. I have been to numerous claims when two seperate insurance companies are involved (buildings and contents) and the policyholder has been told by the other that they will send a claim form out, this is when there is raw sewage lying all over the ground floor. I have seen pensioners with raw sewage throughout thier house waiting a week for someone to turn up.
Beware this kind of work is a nightmare, you are dealing with traumatised people who are glad to see you when they are in the thick of it, a few days later and enhanced awareness syndrome kicks in and they are out to get what they can get and whos in the direct fireing line...you.
You need to be properly trained and have a high standard of customer care (social work) and be thick skinned. It does have it's advantages, most people are very appreciative and it is satisfying when you deal with a good one. See some of my feedback on my website www.novocastrian.net
Anyone wanting to get into fire & flood, I will be expanding my supply business in the near future and I am only too happy to offer any advice.

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 09:49:10 pm »
John,
Thanks for your informed reply, I suspected that is how they operate.
Getting inside a large organisation doesn't hold particular nightmares for me, nor does customer care or problem handling.
My inexperience does ( no matter the amount of training courses that I attend I know that I need to couple it with experience. I intend to try and get myself on flood and restoration/Trauma courses in the autumn.
I assume we will hear about your expanded supply business when appropriate
regards
Eddie

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 12:20:31 pm »
Independent Inspections are the biggest one they get 10000 claims a month for carpets and upholstery they also sub out work to chem dry and rainbow, the main reason they are used by all the insurance companies is because they send an inspector out first who evaluates who much the carpet and upholstery would cost to replace, then a restorer would go and try to  clean the carpets or upholstery all with in the space of 24-48 hours. they also do manufacturing complaints and repairs. Andto top it all off they never put in a bigger price than what the original carpet or item cost, therfore not conning the insurance company and getting more and more work. How do i know all this... I worked for them for 7 years ;D
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician