Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

daz1977

regenerate of resin
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:11:05 am »
how do you regenerate resin, as i see it for sale as either regenerated or not regenaerated, and was just wondering how it is done?

wizard

Re: regenerate of resin
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:54:22 pm »

mark dew

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16:57 pm »
I looked at this 4 years ago and came to the conclusion that it was better to buy it.
Resin prices are cheaper now i think?

wizard

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:22:13 pm »
Its cleaning the resin so that tha cathionic changes and the anionic charge recativate again they are like differant charged magnites so one would have to clean off what they woulf attract,It is very specialized opperation

drwindows

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 11:20:06 pm »
A chemistry teacher who is one of my customers took an interest in this and explained it to me.  How i understand it, mixed bed resin like we use, is actually 2 different types of resin, one to exchange cations and one to exchange anions.

To regenerate the resin, you first need to seperate the two, which isnt easy.

Once seperate, to regenerate all you need to do is flush one resin with sulphric acid, and the other resin with a strong sodium hydroxide solution (caustic soda).  Finally flush both with pure water and then remix them.

The difficult part is seperating the resins in the first place.  But even then, the chemicals you use are quite nasty, will burn you if you spill them.  As has been said, this is such a time consuming and expensive process, for the quantities we use its cheaper and easier just to buy new resin.