Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sealing Carbon Poles
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:32:11 pm »
I have read a few posts concerning black hands from using carbon poles, now my pole has started to turn my hands black.

There must be a way of sealing the carbon sections even if you have to redo it every couple of weeks.So what is it? wax? furniture polish? lard?

There must be some way to seal these without interfering with their operation.One of you clever people will know, so what is it?

Alex Gardiner

Re: Sealing Carbon Poles
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »
It would have to be a very thin coat of clear matt lacquer, the sort of stuff you buy in B&Q for painting metal with.

kenaltobelli

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:52:03 pm »
butter lurpack preff ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:04:42 pm »
I have some in the workshop and I have tried using it on ordinary telescopic poles. It's proper use is on taper joints on fishing poles.  These typically receive very little use between applications. A telescopic pole would wear it away within a few uses.

clean

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »
I have some in the workshop and I have tried using it on ordinary telescopic poles. It's proper use is on taper joints on fishing poles.  These typically receive very little use between applications. A telescopic pole would wear it away within a few uses.

So you`ve gone from 1 millisecond to a few uses,make up your mind Alex  ;D  ;D
PK

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:12:51 pm »

So you`ve gone from 1 millisecond to a few uses,make up your mind Alex  ;D  ;D
PK

1 millisecond was 'hyperbole'  :D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 08:26:19 pm »
hyperpole  :)

NWH

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:54:39 pm »
It would have to be a very thin coat of clear matt lacquer, the sort of stuff you buy in B&Q for painting metal with.
I`ve tried this and it dosen`t work,within minutes of use even when fully dry it begins to peel off.

free2flow

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:28 pm »
Wear Gloves?
The pen is mightier than the sword..and easier to write with!

trevor perry

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 09:01:37 pm »
i have thought of a way to design a carbon pole that will never wear, alex if your interested in the idea drop me an email and i will run it past you ,if it is workable then your welcome to use the idea.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

jouk45

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:05:27 pm »
you get a similar problem from alu poles, getting black hands from the alu dust, the way i got round 80% of the problem was to ad bike foam handles, this stop the black hands

mark dew

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:29:15 pm »
Is this issue just with the slx?
I've been using a sl pole for over a year now and i've never had black hands.

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
Telescopic poles- where one slides over the other, and the pole hose goes up the inside.

mark dew

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »
Telescopic poles- where one slides over the other, and the pole hose goes up the inside.

Silly me. That seems pretty obvious now you've mentioned it.  ;D
I'm a bit out of touch with telescopic. I've been using sl2 on everything for a year now.
Replaced the no1 section last week.

stevieg

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 09:20:54 am »
P V A glue.Very cheap,water it down works superbly.