Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

combat1

applicator sleeves
« on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:28 am »
Been getting white lines when sqeegeeing off the windows for a while now.
Have changed solution, blades etc and now wondering if the sleeves are retaining some washing pdr from thw washing machine?
I wash them with my cloths, just powder, no fab cond.
Thanks.

Ian W

Re: applicator sleeves
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:19 am »
I always wash my cloths / sleeves without any powder. They retain a fair amount of soap so still come out clean.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:07:44 am »
wash them a few times without powder and see if that cures your problem. If its not that, then you can rule it out
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:33:18 am »
More likely to be the speed of the blade causing water to ride over the leading top edge, try slowing your action down a tad. Fanning is an art.

jonnyald

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33:12 am »
ive never washed my sleeves , no point  unless you are trying to make them look new or summat .

ftp

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:36:40 am »
I wonder if it's the rubber. I'm having similar problems with brand new Unger soft rubbers - they seem to leave random lines everywhere almost as if the rubber needs bedding in.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:33 am »
More likely to be the speed of the blade causing water to ride over the leading top edge, try slowing your action down a tad. Fanning is an art.

That could very well be the case.

I wonder if it's the rubber. I'm having similar problems with brand new Unger soft rubbers - they seem to leave random lines everywhere almost as if the rubber needs bedding in.

I've used Unger rubber for a bout a day, it was the most horrible rubber I've ever used. Ettore or SYR for me.

Also, make sure you don't cut your rubbers with a scissor. You need to cut them straight down with a scraper blade, so you get the best cut possible.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:20:31 am »
Always store your rubbers in an airtight container - they have volatile solvents in them which can evaporate, causing the rubber to become brittle.  This will create minute cracks in the edge which will leave lines.

Think about how your supplier stores them - if they are not sealed in individual plastic sleeves, they could have been on the shelf for months and deteriorated before you bought them.

I had a problem with Ettore rubbers many years ago, and I asked them at the Trade Show why I was getting streaks even with new rubbers.  They were horrified - they guarantee a 'Streak Free Finish'.  The gave me a box of new rubbers and told me to seal them in a plastic bag till I needed them.  Never had any trouble since.

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:11:55 pm »
Hi Ian,well,I did`nt know that! Can`t remember if at all where
My supplier sold me some rubbers in an airtight container.
I`ve been having problems for a year or more now with sometimes
Brand new rubbers leaving fine lines along the glass etc. after
Squeegeeing off.Who supplies them in airtight containers?

Lewis  Doubtfire Gleem Clean ( The Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »
Always store your rubbers in an airtight container - they have volatile solvents in them which can evaporate, causing the rubber to become brittle.  This will create minute cracks in the edge which will leave lines.

Think about how your supplier stores them - if they are not sealed in individual plastic sleeves, they could have been on the shelf for months and deteriorated before you bought them.

I had a problem with Ettore rubbers many years ago, and I asked them at the Trade Show why I was getting streaks even with new rubbers.  They were horrified - they guarantee a 'Streak Free Finish'.  The gave me a box of new rubbers and told me to seal them in a plastic bag till I needed them.  Never had any trouble since.

That's a new one on me Ian.  Cheers for the info.

combat1

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »
Thanks everyone for the imput and help.  I dont think its the speed! I have a job to do 12 four bedroom houses a day! makes me shudder when people say they do 22 a day, must be terrace jobs.
Thanks to Ian, looks like you have provided valuable information for quite a few members.
It could well be the cut of the rubber in my case.  I usually buy them ready cut at 14'' but the shop gave me 16'' so I cut them down, should have used my champion scraper and not a stanley knife.
Thanks all.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:55:13 pm »
I only use Pulex rubbers, never had a problem. try working with another applicator.
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 11:38:45 am »
COMBAT1 is ur channel bent?this could be ur problem.i use unger soft rubbers and change them about every month or so and im full time TRAD.this happened to me a few years ago.try with a new channel and rubber.i bet u this is ur problem ;D.on the topic of T mop sleeves i use monsoon and microtigers.sometimes them scrubber pad sleeves on really dirty 1st time cleans.

best wishes dazmond
price higher/work harder!

combat1

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 12:04:22 pm »
Thanks very much, it could have been a bent channel and I have now replaced it. Also ordered from Window Cleaning Warehouse 25 Unger soft blades which apparently come in an air tight box.
Thinking about it my last blades came from a local supplier who I have not used before and who keeps the blades on a shelf.
Bought a backpack recently, going to use it more! thanks everyone for the help.

Darren O

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 01:14:24 pm »
Ive been window cleaning for over 20 years and keep my Ettore soft rubbers in a kitchen drawer never had a problem.