Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: benefits of mechanical agitation
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 02:42:27 pm »
Anyone use a 15" OP? That would have a bit more weight and still manageable on a lot of jobs.

Jim_77

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »
i carry a 15" standard speed rotary and a duo on the van as standard.

Before I had the duo I used to lug the roto in and out cursing its weight and awkwardness:  sometimes it was a bit overkill, but the job needed more than I could do by hand with a carpet groomer.

The duo fills the gap nicely, and as derek says its bloody brilliant for stairs, especially getting over the angle of the nosings.  I was using my minitex for this but it was a bit of a faff and the duo is much quicker.

The duo really doesn't lift up polyprop pile at all but I find it great on wool & nylon.

The 15" roto really is head and shoulders above the duo for really grotty carpets and much quicker.

Horses for courses!

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 07:05:15 pm »
Jim do you use a brush or a pad on your roto?

I have a 15" but thought an OP would be better/safer than an rotory.

Jim_77

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 10:48:11 pm »
I use either, depending on the situation.  Brush on polyprop that needs pile lift as well, bonnet on wool/nylon.  Brush to deal with pet hair, embedded fluff and sock fibres

Nothing wrong with rotary cleaning on most carpets after they've had a few years' wear, as long as you spray it up nice and damp to lubricate.

Obviously with wool, the newer the carpet the more risk of noticeable texture distortion.  In most cases if you need something as robust as a rotary to agitate a wool carpet, the chances are it's not been treated very well and it really doesn't matter if you slightly distort the pile as long as you get a good visual clean.... the customer wants the carpet looking cleaner!  You've just restored a carpet for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one, so if you've accelerated the signs of wear a little bit that's an acceptable trade-off.  I think most would agree with that, rather than sticking to "safe" methods and shrugging shoulders when it doesn't come up as great as it could have.

Same mode of thought applies to higher pH cleaning products, you gotta do what you gotta do!  Just make sure you know what it is that you're doing, when you gotta do it, that's my philosophy :)