Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

Hi,

I came unstuck the other day, i forgot to bring my leisure battery in to charge it and halfway through the next day it packed in....

My mate said if i get a " Split relay charge " thing ..... he will fit it for me,

but he asked me to get that and the wire ??

will that be the answer to the problem... i just hope that, because i stop start all day, it will not flatten my van battery

i had a look on ebay, but they all look the same to me,

does anyone know which i would need?
Thanks

Gary

geefree

Re: Battery Problem / are all relays switch chargers the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:07:20 pm »
 ;)

Anglocom

geefree

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:26:37 pm »
Thanks very much , just ordered it  ;)

Anglocom

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:31:37 pm »
No problem. Let me know how you get on with it.

Paul.

geefree

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:39:12 pm »
will do, thanks again

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 06:59:27 am »
Hi,

I came unstuck the other day, i forgot to bring my leisure battery in to charge it and halfway through the next day it packed in....

My mate said if i get a " Split relay charge " thing ..... he will fit it for me,

but he asked me to get that and the wire ??

will that be the answer to the problem... i just hope that, because i stop start all day, it will not flatten my van battery

i had a look on ebay, but they all look the same to me,

does anyone know which i would need?
Thanks

Gary

That's the point of the relay.  The leisure battery will only draw power while the engine runs.
Even if the leisure battery does die, you can give it a boost by running the engine for a while.
I have two old leisure batteries and a split charge relay.  They get me through the day between then as I often need to swap the batteries over by mid afternoon.  I suppose I should buy a new one really but I will just keep charging them each night until they are totally knackered.  On a day with a fair bit of driving I can just about make one last a day but it is struggling by then.
Also, if I stop for 20 minutes for a sarnie I will have it in the van and run the engine if needed.

Pureandclean

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:22:44 pm »
There are different size split charge relays, if you use a smaller one trying to charge a 110 amp battery you are liable to blow the relay.
So it is much better to go for a larger relay to start with.
As you are liable to draw 50 - 60 amps in a working day, it is best to go for a 110 amp battery or a couple of batteries that add up to more than a 100 amp, so that you do not draw more than half of the charge from each battery.
This will help the batteries to last longer.

geefree

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »
Oh,

I have a 110 , i hope its ok for this, as i have ordered it  ???