Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macmac

Capital Allowances
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:05 pm »
Is there a lower limit in value before you need to declare something as a capital allowance & not just a straight forward tax relief? (business expense)

Example.
I bought a power washer for 80 quid. It's use is split 50/50 between business & personal use (van & car)

So, I have a 40 quid business expense. Would this be capital allowance or would you just deduct from gross as with other expenses?

If it is capital allowance, is it to be claimed 100% in that year or written down over more than one tax year?

Anyone?

EZclean

Re: Capital Allowances
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:54:55 pm »
its a business expense, deduct the 50% you use for business.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 03:37:53 pm »
As far as I remember anything over £150 should be listed as capital allowance. as for the other I think the rules have recently changed on that, worth phoning their helpline I found them really good.   
Sussex by the sea

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:33:54 pm »
Capital allowance is now a thing of the past.  It's now Annual investment allowance.  You claim the whole thing back in the first year upto £50 000.  So it would be the share of the pressure washer for the business.  Search AIA and have a read.

Simon.

macmac

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »
Capital allowance is now a thing of the past.  It's now Annual investment allowance.  You claim the whole thing back in the first year upto £50 000.  So it would be the share of the pressure washer for the business.  Search AIA and have a read.

Simon.

I'm led to beleive if there is a personal use element to the purchase the rules are different?

macmac

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:55 pm »
Also, my query is regarding 08/09 tax year. AIA does not apply for that.