Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tim82

Cancelling customers
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:12:52 am »
 Recently I seem to be losing more than the usual amount of customers(3 in the past week). My first thought was am I doing something wrong with the pole system - I don't think I'm doing anything different - is anyone else experiencing this? I'm wondering whether it's the weather or just the economical situation right now. On the up side, they do seem to be the bad sort of customer and I am getting the odd new customer, but from what I remember, in the past I would gain customers a little more often than I would lose them! I'm not that worried, just hope it doesn't get worse. What do you think?

Carl2009

Re: Cancelling customers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:44:20 am »
I am a newbie and have the space to fill so am happy to get new customers. The van signwriting has been great, plus wfp is interesting for many people, so they stop and chat. I gained 1 yesterday, plus another I have to quote for. I reckon I am getting 3 or 4 a week.

On the downside i've just lost someone whom I only cleaned for once. I gave a quote and arranged a time for the first clean. The wife called me at 11am on the day of the clean and asks where was I - I was supposed to be there between 9 and 11. Anyway, she says, "Just leave it - we'll call you if we want you". I had nothing written down in my quote notebook about specific times (I rarely give specific times as you never know if you might miss) and as she was so angry and as she was recommended from a good custie I called her back after 10 mins and said I would be there in an hour and i'd clean them for free. This rather took the wind out of her sails but she agreed. I got there and she was out. The agreed first clean price was £40, anyway the husband says that he will pay, but £20, the price of the regular clean.

Annyyywwaaay, he calls this morning and says the clean I did was great but it's made him realise that he should be getting of his backside and be doing it himself and he'd like to cancel the regular clean!

I also lost one that I canvassed for on Sat and cleaned for on Monday. An old lady who seemed all there, but whose daughter called me and told me she has Alzheimer's and she's had a regular window cleaner for years. Mind you, he must be traditional and charging for glass only as the frames were filthy. I was very polite and said she can call me at any time if her Mum needs the frames doing and that it was no problem.

I canvassed on Saturday and gained 11 new custies so the loss of the odd one is no big deal.

On another subject, do you find people want less-regular cleans in the winter months? I'm worried my monthly's might drop to 8 weekly or even less and my takings will half. Thoughts?

macmac

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:57:37 am »
It's life, you'll lose some (for various reasons) & you'll win some. You'll win some through trying, you'll win some just by pure luck. I gained one customer on a very exclusive developement through his daughter, this chap has now got me a full days work with all his neighbours!

You must be firm (but polite at all times) & maintain a regular round throughout the whole year!

There are many things to balance, which takes time & experience, costs, time, pricing, customer relations etc.etc. ;)

GWCS

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:56 pm »
I am a newbie and have the space to fill so am happy to get new customers. The van signwriting has been great, plus wfp is interesting for many people, so they stop and chat. I gained 1 yesterday, plus another I have to quote for. I reckon I am getting 3 or 4 a week.

On the downside i've just lost someone whom I only cleaned for once. I gave a quote and arranged a time for the first clean. The wife called me at 11am on the day of the clean and asks where was I - I was supposed to be there between 9 and 11. Anyway, she says, "Just leave it - we'll call you if we want you". I had nothing written down in my quote notebook about specific times (I rarely give specific times as you never know if you might miss) and as she was so angry and as she was recommended from a good custie I called her back after 10 mins and said I would be there in an hour and i'd clean them for free. This rather took the wind out of her sails but she agreed. I got there and she was out. The agreed first clean price was £40, anyway the husband says that he will pay, but £20, the price of the regular clean.

Annyyywwaaay, he calls this morning and says the clean I did was great but it's made him realise that he should be getting of his backside and be doing it himself and he'd like to cancel the regular clean!

I also lost one that I canvassed for on Sat and cleaned for on Monday. An old lady who seemed all there, but whose daughter called me and told me she has Alzheimer's and she's had a regular window cleaner for years. Mind you, he must be traditional and charging for glass only as the frames were filthy. I was very polite and said she can call me at any time if her Mum needs the frames doing and that it was no problem.

I canvassed on Saturday and gained 11 new custies so the loss of the odd one is no big deal.

On another subject, do you find people want less-regular cleans in the winter months? I'm worried my monthly's might drop to 8 weekly or even less and my takings will half. Thoughts?

Carl, where you are you will be glad of some customers dropping to 8 weekly or something. because in the summer is light to 7pm, so you can catch up - in the winter its wets, dreary and dark at 4:30.

Those who want it done 4 weekly all thru the year fine, if they drop to 8 weekly, slightly increase the price as you agreed a 4 weekly price, if its not priced per clean (unless thats the system you have in place)

If they want it stopped through the winter when they call you back next year, increase the price!!

Ensure you make more money in the summer to tie you over in the winter. Personally i wouldn't force customers into having it done every 4 weeks (like or or tough attitude), but you then need to changing your pricing system to accommodate. Tell all new customers the first clean price - then tell them the 4 weekly price, and IF they want the cleaning schedule changed then a new quote is required, if they dont agree - you have a choice of keeping them at the 4 weekly cleaning rpcie or say sorry i can no longer clean your windows at that price - so be firm with that. As people say, it takes experience..

Tim82

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:28:14 pm »
 I'm used to the win some lose some aspect of window cleaning (I've been at it 11 years now! wfp nearly 2) I was just wondering have you experienced it more often since the whole credit crunch thing... or is it just me!?  :o

RO-Sheen

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
Hey Tim

I find i am gaining about half the customers per month compared to last year. ie Last May I would have gained about 10 a month and this year it is about 5. Im not too bothered as my books are pretty much full but if a customer asks if Im affected by the recession I always say that 'I have lost a few and hope it doesnt gett worse'. That way the customer would feel more guilty for dropping you, Bit sneaky I know but you have to look after yourself.
Also, Always look after your customers and be helpful and friendly. If you have a good relationship you are half way there and they would be more likely to recommend you to their friends.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Tim82

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:56:21 pm »
Hey Tim

I find i am gaining about half the customers per month compared to last year. ie Last May I would have gained about 10 a month and this year it is about 5. Im not too bothered as my books are pretty much full but if a customer asks if Im affected by the recession I always say that 'I have lost a few and hope it doesnt gett worse'. That way the customer would feel more guilty for dropping you, Bit sneaky I know but you have to look after yourself.
Also, Always look after your customers and be helpful and friendly. If you have a good relationship you are half way there and they would be more likely to recommend you to their friends.

Good points!

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »
Hey Tim

Good points!

I'm always being asked how I'm doing in these tough times. I have one answer:

"Tearingly busy, rushed off my feet, not enough hours in the day."

Lets them know that I'll have no hesitation in dropping them if they start any "miss me this time" malarky.

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 06:09:26 pm »
lost three customers today, total about £60 per 4w >:( was canvassed work, no problem with the cleans they also said sorry ::)

Got another 2 jobs into day for pressure washing and gutters that covers that lost for the year, and yet to advertise it fully yet
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »
Recently I seem to be losing more than the usual amount of customers(3 in the past week). My first thought was am I doing something wrong with the pole system - I don't think I'm doing anything different - is anyone else experiencing this? I'm wondering whether it's the weather or just the economical situation right now. On the up side, they do seem to be the bad sort of customer and I am getting the odd new customer, but from what I remember, in the past I would gain customers a little more often than I would lose them! I'm not that worried, just hope it doesn't get worse. What do you think?

I hasd a period a few weeks ago where I lost a couple of decent jobs and a couple of mediocre ones.  Since then, I've picked up work that pretty much balances that out - without even looking for it.  The lost work was valued around  £800 a year.  The gained work since is valued around £1,000 a year.  Hour for hour the prices on the gained work for the actual cleaning are maybe not quite so good.  The other side of that is that they are much closer to home so will cost less to get to.

dai

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:52 pm »
I had one yesterday that said "leave them this time". He had done his own with a pressure washer.
I asked him if they had dried spotty, he said that he had used a little detergent in the water and the windows were perfect. I know the TDS there is about 42, but perfect? come on, I bet he would have complained if I cleaned his windows with tap water.
There are some out there that believe I am telling porkies when I say that I use deionised water, they see the price of it in Halfords and think no way. I have even got the TDS meter out on occasions to prove it.

m b shaw

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:01:24 pm »
absolutly right simon.if you let one dictate to you before long the whole area will be doing it. i need to know the minimum i ll be earning next year and so on, it s how you build and prosper.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:19:35 pm »
I have picked up more work this month.  :)
Always seemed to pick up a few houses a month last year, but this year it is a bit less.
But I am still picking up new work.

That's good because in December one of my commercial jobs cut £500 a month of work off the contract. Ouch! And I lost another £200 a month from various jobs. :'(
Luckily I had just bought some work and that made up for it.

This is the first year in 6 years that I haven't given myself a payrise..

Oh well it seems to be improving now

Carl2009

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:58:10 pm »
GWCS - thanks for the advice. I price per job... need a rethink. When they ask "Are you around every month" I explain I am as I am a professional and need to work year round. As I say, I need a rethink.

Thks again.

Mr.G

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 11:50:57 pm »
I've had loads of people going from 1 month to 2 months lately, due to being on short time/wage cuts etc   better than losing them altogether I suppose..

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 08:22:51 am »
I've had loads of people going from 1 month to 2 months lately, due to being on short time/wage cuts etc   better than losing them altogether I suppose..

I had a fair bit of that for a while so I went 6 weekly across the board.  I had enough work to do that though as I struggled to keep up.  It was more important then to keep everyone at the same interval as it was beforee I kept records on a computer.