Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bravo20

Advice needed
« on: June 15, 2009, 02:37:20 pm »
Hi All

I currently run an oven cleaning business but it doesn't keep me busy full time. I am planning to team up with a mate who has a traditional window cleaning round. We're looking to update operate on wfp system and would like your opinions on the best way forward.

I am doing a business plan and cashflow forecast but need some help on the following. We plan to get a van and to get it signwritten.

Would you recommend a full van system, trolley, back pack or a combination of these.
Do we need a full RO system or can we do it with DI, not sure whether we are in a hard/soft water area, how can I find out?

Best van?

Best canvassing methods for domestic and commercial. We did an hours canvassing last week and picked up 9 customers at £10/£15, did the first clean Friday, all will be 4 weekly and picked up 2 more while we were there. Plan to do some more canvassing this week.

Do flyers work well, have used vistaprint in the past so will probably use them again, unless anybody has any better recommendations?

Is 3/4 houses per hour a reasonable assumption for a 2 man wfp system once the initial clean has been done?

How many days on average do you lose to adverse weather?

Any pricing tips for conservatories, facias, gutters etc.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to set up right to establish a good strong business.
I am sure I'll come up with some more questions along the way but think that's enough for now.

Thanks in advance.

John

Ian Lancaster

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:05:43 pm »
Hi All

I currently run an oven cleaning business but it doesn't keep me busy full time. I am planning to team up with a mate who has a traditional window cleaning round. We're looking to update operate on wfp system and would like your opinions on the best way forward.

I am doing a business plan and cashflow forecast but need some help on the following. We plan to get a van and to get it signwritten.

Would you recommend a full van system, trolley, back pack or a combination of these.
Do we need a full RO system or can we do it with DI, not sure whether we are in a hard/soft water area, how can I find out?

Best van?

Best canvassing methods for domestic and commercial. We did an hours canvassing last week and picked up 9 customers at £10/£15, did the first clean Friday, all will be 4 weekly and picked up 2 more while we were there. Plan to do some more canvassing this week.

Do flyers work well, have used vistaprint in the past so will probably use them again, unless anybody has any better recommendations?

Is 3/4 houses per hour a reasonable assumption for a 2 man wfp system once the initial clean has been done?

How many days on average do you lose to adverse weather?

Any pricing tips for conservatories, facias, gutters etc.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to set up right to establish a good strong business.
I am sure I'll come up with some more questions along the way but think that's enough for now.

Thanks in advance.

John

Hi John,

No one else seems in a hurry to advise, so I'll do my best ;)

System: You need to know what your water tds is.  If you get limescale in your kettle you've probably got hard water.  Otherwise phone your local water company and ask them.

If you're going to operate two men from one van, you'll need at least 600lt/day so you need a fairly big van, say Ducato or Transit.  I can't see the point of having your RO in the van unless you've got nowhere else to put it.  If you've got a shed/garage with electricity and drainage nearby you can have as many 1000lt IBC's as you want, all joined together so you will always have plenty of pure water available.

Canvassing:  If you managed to pick up 9 jobs in an hour, you don't need any advice about that :o

Flyers are only cost effective if you follow up with a door knock, otherwise expect a response of about 0.5 - 1.5%

Always remember that two men working together can't do a house in half the time it takes one man on his own - you're better off trying to arrange it so you each have your own jobs to do - in that case it might pay to have one working direct from the van and the other using a trolley

AS to how many houses:  Decided how much you want to turn over per hour and price your houses accordingly.  As a rough guide, a 3 bed semi with good rear access should take one man between 15 and 20 minutes including unloading, reloading etc.  So if you want £30 per hour, your price should be at least £10 per 3 bed semi.

Times for two men working together are much slower - you get in each others way, one has to wait for the other to finish etc etc - much better to do one man one house.

Weather:  How long is a piece of string?  Some work in all conditions, some go home if it gets cloudy.  I always schedule assuming there are 5 clear days in the week.  If I have to adjust later then so be it.  We only stop if it pours down.

Conservatories are usually done as part of the regular job so price as for house windows.

Cons roofs, gutters, fascias etc are 'once or twice a year' jobs - always price at least twice the normal rate.

bravo20

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:50:08 am »
Thanks Ian, some useful info to think about.

John