Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jonnyald

spider bites?
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:07 am »
i keep hearing/reading about spiders . my brother was bitten by a tiny spider in france and it knocked him back a couple of months and last week i met a woman when i cleaned her windows who was bitten by a house spider in england and had been almost made an invalid by it , the wound didnt heal for months .

drivewasher

Re: spider bites?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:49:30 am »
spiders in the uk can bite, but.... they need to be really frightened and they use it as a self defence. Also obviously the bigger the spider the easier it is for it to bite you IE biggger mouth (must be some relation to me then eh ).
I reasearched this, as when my wife got a real good bite off a lrge spider she was picking up from living room floor to put outside. I didn't believe her but she showed me two fang marks on her finger. She probably hurt it picking it up so it struck.

They do have venom but it's not strong enough to harm humans as were so large in comparison to it's natural prey, but some humans can have an alergic reaction to it, some a worse one than others

Some info here  http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/identification-guides-and-keys/spider-bites/index.html

I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:49:32 pm »
Thanks drivewasher thats really helped my arachnophobia!!

drive surgeon

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 05:54:12 pm »
one window cleaner by us got bitten by a terrantulator when cleaning windows!! :D

wilclean

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 06:44:05 pm »
hi

About 10 years ago an old woman down south had complained about getting bit in her council flat. She compained for months to the council before anyone came out. She had to be taken to hospital as both her legs had swelled up because of her being bitten that many times by the common house spider. Her flat had to be cleared of spiders before she could go back.
This was reported in all the news papers

Paul

seandyer2003

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »
theres some kind of foreign spider from abroad in southern england too , similar to black widow, one of my cucties grandchildren got bit and was very ill , cant remember its name , will google now

seandyer2003

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:15 pm »
Found it :)

The false widow

www.uksafari.com/falsewidows.htm

wilclean

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:44:55 pm »
Have you noticed that the common house spiders in England are getting much bigger - there alot bigger than say 30 years ago. if you put your finger near some, up goes there legs in attack mode and go for you - we had one last week then I stood on it.

Paul

Pj

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
I got bitten by a spider on my finger about 2 years ago, all I was doing was weeding a garden.  I didn't even feel it at the time, then my finger got itchy, then sore.  About 3 days later I had to go to the doctor, my forearm had swollen and gland in my armpit too!  Had to have strong course of antibiotics, he showed me two little pinpricks in my finger and said it was probably a garden spider.  My finger felt like it was going to burst, it was twice the size it should be.

Remember the year of the ladybirds?

I think greenfly are becoming carnivorous.

Be careful Peeps it's a jungle out there.

wilclean

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:22:42 pm »
There you go hollywood here's a new film for ya - THE ATTACK OF THE GREENFLY  ;D ;D