Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tom Mac

Advertising the american way
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:40:13 am »
Hey All,

I hope you are having a super day today.

I love talking to window cleaners on the phone for a number of reasons, but one of those reasons is because I get some great ideas to talk about on this blog. Recently I spoke to a window cleaner who is really seeing excellent results from his signs in his window cleaning business, so I thought this would be a great topic to talk about.

He bought 100 signs for $544 which is an excellent deal. $5.44 per sign? Whew. Each sign even comes up with a stand. The signs themselves are the kind that the politicians use. Not too fancy looking, but for $5.44 per sign, it's a wise investment.

Anyway…what he does is he asks every customer who he does a window washing job for whether he can keep one of his signs in their yard for 5 days. He hasn't had a customer say "no" yet. He even had one customer tell him they were having a party so they'll need to take the sign down during the party, but they'll put it back up the day after the party. And lo and behold…they did! Brian went cruising by the house the day after the party and there was his sign.

After 5 days he'll go to the customer's house and pick the sign up. But just imagine the exposure that he is receiving during this 5 day stretch. He said he's growing his customer base nicely just from his sign efforts. He is doing no other marketing method at all currently. I really don't recommend just relaying on signs as you'll certainly see more results from taking a more proactive approach (flyers, postcards, etc). And brian will be the first to agree with that. But the point is that using signs in your business work!

I had a conversation with a window cleaner a couple of weeks ago who basically said that he doesn't have any yard signs because he has a magnetic sign on his vehicle. He went on to say that since he parks his car in front of customer's house while he's working on the window cleaning job, that's good enough. I respectively disagree.  :-D

Have you ever heard of banner blindness? This refers to when a visitor to a website tunes out any banners or advertisements on a webpage. They just flat out ignore the ads and focus on the content. Banner advertisements don't work as well as they did back in the 90's because we've become so used to them that we don't even see them anymore. Thus the term "banner blindness".

This is what happens when someone drives down the street or walks down the sidewalk and sees your magnetic sign on your car. It's part of the vehicle and they don't pay a great deal of attention to it. It blends in. On the other hand, with a standalone yard sign sitting in a front yard all by itself, it's noticeable. Way more noticeable than a vehicle magnetic sign.

Picture yourself driving down the street. You see a car in the street in front of a house which happens to have magnetic signs on it. Which signage do you think you'll notice first? The magnetic signs as you're driving by or a standalone yard sign by itself in someone's yard? The yard sign is an item that doesn't belong there, so therefore it stands out more. Make sense?

So the long and the short of it is that having some yard signs is one of those important "must have" silent advertising partners.

Contact some local sign shops and see what kind of pricing you can get. Buy a few dozen signs with the goal of using the "leave behind" strategy for some great yard sign exposure. Not every customer will say "yes" to you leaving one of your signs in their yard, but no biggie. It only takes a few signs to experience a higher call volume. Literally hundreds or perhaps thousands of potential customers could be traveling past your signs.

Another thought to keep in mind here is that let's say the actual sign doesn't generate the call, but they receive a flyer from you shortly after they see one of your signs. This is what exposure will do for you. Again, they might not call as a result of your sign, but because of the sign, they may be prompted to call you after receiving one of your flyers because they have been exposed to your business more than once which is ultra important. As I've written about before on this blog and have mentioned to folks in phone calls, the response rates increase with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and up exposures.

So yard signs are a great way to get that exposure w/o a lot of effort on your part. Take care and have a great day.

Window Washers

Re: Advertising the american way
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:55:43 am »
That is a fantastic idea  ;D

Do you have a picture of one of these signs ?

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Tom Mac

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:57:02 am »
So who's going to try it first

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:59:43 am »
So who's going to try it first
I will give that a try  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

big J

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:00:53 am »
I have to say what a simple but brillant idea! it just takes the bottle to ask the customer for permission to display.
qustion are you advocating unsigned vans?

seems a little contradictory if you are I would have thought that one would enforce the other in the customers eyes particularly if you follow up with a knock on the door rather than just a flyer.

What is your view on uniforms for window cleaners over the topp or a professional image?
modern day methods ......tradtional values

Window Washers

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:03:05 am »
I have to say what a simple but brillant idea! it just takes the bottle to ask the customer for permission to display.
qustion are you advocating unsigned vans?

seems a little contradictory if you are I would have thought that one would enforce the other in the customers eyes particularly if you follow up with a knock on the door rather than just a flyer.

What is your view on uniforms for window cleaners over the topp or a professional image?
I have to say my vans with there sign writting do not blend in at all, I get a very good stream of work from them, but the sign idea is a good one as vans maybe there for an hour, and a sign for a week sounds good... Think I need another van just to carry the signs though lol

Tom Mac

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:04 am »
The idea was not mine, it was something i just happen to stumble across this morning. I do believe in wearing a logo top with the company details on it.

Interesting debate on the 'sign blindness'

I am going to give it a go in select areas though.

Tom Mac

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:08:33 am »
What with the elections due soon, my sign might read 'Vote NO STREAKS for your window cleaning service' with my name and number under it

matt

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:32:27 am »
YARD signs

alot of trades people use them in the USA

infact you will have seen them in use here, UPVC installers use them ( if you havent seen them though, it must mean they do not work that well )

i have a set of them in my office right now, havent been used and i have had them for a few weeks

dave0123

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:35:14 am »
Dont think the customer would like that over here  ??? i would't want a sign stuck outside my house for 5 days.

Dave.

Tom Mac

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:02:05 am »
if you dont ask, you wont know. Expand on the idea, they dont have to go in peoples gardens

matt

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »
exactly, climb up your ladder and screw it to a wall high up

they cannot get it down then  ;D ;D ;D

oh hang on, ladders are banned arent they  ;)

SteveAllan

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 03:41:36 pm »
I must agree, signs are great. I have mentioned before that i had an A board made up that i leave all over the place with some cards attached and this is working great. Works great outside asda for a few hours, just dont leave them there all day might p*ss them off.

ftp

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 03:47:46 pm »
Vistaprint do them, think they are called lawn signs.

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 07:27:55 pm »
Don,t think customers would want signs out side their house ( i know my wife wouldn't let this happen to our house ) maybe you would have to offer a couple of pounds of the price of the houses you want to leave them at
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk