Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DaveG

Church windows
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:24 pm »
Ive got to quote a church with "proper" leaded windows next week ...anything i should look out for or be careful of?
I know that those old lead windows can leak, but i remember seeing on here a while back that they can leave streaks?
Cheers guys
Dave
You can't polish a turd

pjulk

Re: Church windows
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:30 pm »
Make sure your insurance covers you for this type of work and you have all risks cover if something goings wrong it will cost a fortune.

Mr H

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:50 pm »
The glass is usually very thin and very old. A relation of mine did a large church in Salisbury trad and 2 panes broke with out pressing hard on them. Use as light a pole and as light and soft a brush as you can.

Definatly double check your insurance and get a waiver signed if you can.

Regards
Mr H

williamx

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »
And price high

Paul Golding

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:10:48 pm »
check what's under the windows inside . . 99.9% chance the water will go through the gaps in the glass and settle in a nice puddle inside !!

you could have some very soggy prayer books  ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:27:03 pm »
just say a little prayer before you start  ;D ;D

Klean07

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:42:52 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Mr H

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:10 am »
just say a little prayer before you start  ;D ;D

Or tell them "Vat-I-can Pope round later and do it.!"....lol.....
I'll get my coat  :-X

Pureandclean

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:35 pm »
You might need to do the windows twice, as the lead oxidises and there can be a layer of whitish powder on the lead, which leaves spots on the glass once dry.
 So you might well need to go over them once and then return a bit later.
Just check the first window you do, once you have finished to see whether you will need to do them again.
If there are metal bars behind the windows you will be able to apply a bit more pressure on the glass, but if not you might notice that the glass already bows inwards, a sign that you need to take great care.

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »

Don't get the thin glass in Synagogues already...just good solid laminated stuff that'll withstand a nuclear blast.

Mind you, you have to go in cheap with yer quote ;D

Mods: I Jest!

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 06:00:13 pm »
Price high if it's a quote. I do 1 local to me once a year or so for nothing and if it was a payable job i would have dropped it.
The glass leaks, little bits fall through as soon as they are touched. The trouble is they need a very good scrub and rinse to get clean and the glass just doesn't like being touched.
Good luck.