Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mlscontractcleaner

Replacing a vacuum
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:23:35 pm »
Hi all.

I have a Woodbridge Powerplus hot water extraction machine and for the five or so years I've had it nothing has gone wrong. That all changed this week when one of the vacuums packed in and whenever I switch on the heater it blows the fuses in the property's electrics  ??? ??? ???

Now, I can work the heater's problems out shortly but I'd like some advice on fitting the new vacuum.

Is it an easy enough job for someone with NO electrical experience or is it best left to an expert??

Be honest with me now lads, I'm not an electrician but I can wire a plug  ;), do I have a go myself or stop being a tight wad and send it for repair???
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Joe H

Re: Replacing a vacuum
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:12:26 pm »
I think what you need to do is look into the machine and try to see what you woul d have to do to remove  the vac motor - because fitting one will be the reverse.
Just look at the fittings and the electrical connections - does it look easy?
Perhaps put a photo on here for the guys to peer at.

Bob Robertson

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:40:43 pm »
Hope this makes sense

If you do it yourself,look at the position of the vac and the wires, then put different coloured tape on each wire that will match the new vac , put two bits of tape on each of the vac wires you want to remove and then cut between them this way you will have a reference as to which wire connects to your new vac. Always leave enough length on the machine, cut nearer the vac that's to be removed.

Bob

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:56:14 pm »
Just get a decent camera and take pics of the wiring before starting, its simple usually just 3 wires and a few anchor bolts, 20 min job.
Mark

AJB

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:45:38 am »
You have 3 10mm nuts securing the motor, if it's the first motor you need to remove the rubber sleeve
that connects the exhaust to the second motor.
There are 3 wires, the earth is obviously green, the other 2 wires are interchangable so cannot be fitted
wrong, so not necessary to mark them.
Remove the wiring connectors from the motor and replace on the new motor.
It is very simple, just take your time if it's the first time you've done one.

As to the heater they are prone to a slight leak around the seal where it's attached.
I don't know about now, but they used to be standard Haden kettle elements, which is what i used.
seal it with silicone sealant. It may even be the kettle plug worn.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

gwrightson

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 08:59:20 am »
As ajb said no need to worry about getting wires mixed, as long as earth wired ok, must admit first time looks a litttle daunting.
shown once by mike, after that its easy.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:51:50 pm »
Many thanks for that lads; I'm going to bring the machine indoors tomorrow and take a look inside. I've got to let the guy at Woodbridge know whether it's a 3 stage vacuum or a 2 stage as apparently each machine was made to the original customers specifications; wierd eh  ::)

jmj

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:25 pm »
Very easy to replace and I'm no engineer!!lol

I owned a powermate which had 2 2stage vacs.A good idea would be to upgrade the vacs to lamb ametek, the ones fitted as standard are hi-trak.( cheap and prone to failure).IMHO

I also had problems with the heater, plenty of silicone and long arms needed.

joe

prodry

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:43 pm »
They are easy to do and fitted with a Hi-track motor as said above.

Not the best vacs but at £44.00 each they are cheaper then having to buy a Lamb Amtec for £150ish. Woodbridge have a guide on their website for identifying whether it is a 2 or 3 stage vac.

www.wcsuk.com/acatalog/Motor_Identification.html

Good luck

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »
That's a massive help; many thanks for that. At this rate I'll be an expert by tea time!!!

benny d

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:32 pm »
mlscontractcleaner Is it going to take you as long as that .!!
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...