Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JSMC

broke glass on a door today
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:27:01 pm »
i had finished and the owner wasn't in so i posted my slip to say i had been.The glass on the door is the type where you have 4 little panes at the top making a half circle. I noticed one of the panes was dirty so rubbed it with scrim and it fell out into her hall and smashed.

gutted.! I spoke to he rlater and she said it's ok he rhubby will fix it. I said i will pay for it. Hubby will come home and phone me i reckon and i will have to pay.

ah the joys lol.

told her not to bother paying for her clean today

LWC

Re: broke glass on a door today
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:34:25 pm »
Were you using a hot scrim lol

mikethechamois

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:42:28 pm »
if it had beads nailed in at the back it wouldnt have fallen out

so how can it be your fault

JSMC

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:43:02 pm »
aye very good hot scrim LOL.  i reckon the thing was aboot to fall oot when i touched it :(

RO-Sheen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:45:10 pm »
if it had beads nailed in at the back it wouldnt have fallen out

so how can it be your fault

You' re right, probably not his fault but it would be still good to pay. Wont cost much to replace and it would do his reputation good. I would definately offer!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

JSMC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:53:03 pm »
felt terrible. I will call round later too see her and what she wants done

mikethechamois

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:56:21 pm »
your right ro .................its not worth losing the work over it, if their anyway decent they would realise whats happened and be reasonable about the whole thing

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »
Make a simple card template of the piece of glass and go to your local glass merchant and get them to cut a piece.

Then go and fit it in - secure it with a couple of panel pins and tell them it should have had some beading on the inside to keep it in place.

Shouldn't cost you more than a fiver

Don't waive your window cleaning fee - you've done the work.

I used to break the odd pane when I was trad (maybe one every other year or so :P)  Even if it wasn't my fault I would always replace it, simple good customer relations.  It never cost much, just a bit of time.  I even had a stock of glass so I could cut simple rectangles myself.

JSMC

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »
the glass is some rippled effect so ireckon be hard to get

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 05:30:26 pm »
I wouldn't pay; though I may fix the problem (maybe); but if something is damaged due to routine window cleaning, then the problem isn't my fault; it's down to poor maintenance of the property owners.

I once fixed a gate I climbed over and broke; but the gate was rotten in the first place, so I was a bit of a mug!  Never again.  Another example is an old leaded hotel I used to do - real leaded windows - but extremely poorly maintained; and I must've 'popped' a few of those diamond shaped panes out over the years; but there would be no way I would pay to get them fixed.

I think when you break stuff, you've got to use some common sense as to whose fault it really is; and if you're at fault, then you sort it out; but if it's down to poor maintenance by the customers, then it's their fault.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »
the glass is some rippled effect so ireckon be hard to get

All decent glass merchants will carry a stock of different patterned glass. There are about 20 standard designs.  They often have offcuts as well, and you only want a little bit.

You won't know till you try ::)

mikethechamois

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »
no you will be able to get it from a proper glass merchants, ian is right that is how you do it but tell the cutter thats the opening size and hell cut it undersize for you to enable you to fit it

stop beating yourself up about it...........it wasnt your fault

but i would advise against using a brick inside your scrim from now on  ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:39:04 pm »
I wouldn't pay; though I may fix the problem (maybe); but if something is damaged due to routine window cleaning, then the problem isn't my fault; it's down to poor maintenance of the property owners.

I once fixed a gate I climbed over and broke; but the gate was rotten in the first place, so I was a bit of a mug!  Never again.  Another example is an old leaded hotel I used to do - real leaded windows - but extremely poorly maintained; and I must've 'popped' a few of those diamond shaped panes out over the years; but there would be no way I would pay to get them fixed.

I think when you break stuff, you've got to use some common sense as to whose fault it really is; and if you're at fault, then you sort it out; but if it's down to poor maintenance by the customers, then it's their fault.

I know what you mean, Tosh.  I once opened a gate to get into the back garden and the whole thing collapsed in a heap of rotten wood and rusty screws.  The custy phoned me later demanding that I replace the gate as I had 'pulled it to pieces'.

My reply to him is unprintable ;D

I agree that in most cases the damage is down to poor maintenance, but if the cost involved is very small, what's the harm in putting it right?  Just make sure the custy knows it wasn't your fault, but you're happy to fix it for them.

They'll remember you for it, and maybe tell other people.

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »
but if the cost involved is very small, what's the harm in putting it right?  Just make sure the custy knows it wasn't your fault, but you're happy to fix it for them.

They'll remember you for it, and maybe tell other people.

Common-sense rules at all times!

scud

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:39 pm »
  I once broke a pain of glass in an internal partition, it was in a vacated property tha i was cleaning up - it just fell out when I touched it with the applicator.

The job was worth £60, but being a special yellow coloured pain it cost £65 to get made out of matching glass.

Great day that was!

JSMC

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:20 pm »
went back round to the house today to get measurements but she told me he rhubby was gonna get some perspex and pout that in its place for all of them. i said i would pay for it but she said don't worry about it.

will nip roon later wae a box of choccies for her i think.

told her forget about payment this month.

Oaten

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:17 pm »
went back round to the house today to get measurements but she told me he rhubby was gonna get some perspex and pout that in its place for all of them. i said i would pay for it but she said don't worry about it.

will nip roon later wae a box of choccies for her i think.

told her forget about payment this month.

She is going to think your coming on to her  :D

mikethechamois

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 03:25:34 pm »
you did right, they know it wasnt your fault and were probably aware that the window wasnt fitted properly

youve done more than enough with the free clean, a box of chocs might embarrass them

is hubby a builder by any chance................did he hang the door and think i will cut and fix those beads later.............several years on are they still unfixed

i cleaned my windows yesterday.................last time i cleaned them was last easter.............ho hum

i dont thinks its you thats in trouble over this so dont worry about it

bumper

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 03:27:19 pm »
it cost me 90 pound for a square little piece, she got a Glazier  out.