Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

s.hughes

Watch this link, Whats the compound?
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:19 am »
Watch this link and can you tell me what the compund is that he's using and is it any good when its dried?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6t5axVtq2I&feature=related

Ian Lancaster

Re: Watch this link, Whats the compound?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »
What compound? Thats just a hand operated pump, like a garden sprayer.  If he cleans that window any more times, he will go right through it ;D

s.hughes

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:27:44 pm »
What compound? Thats just a hand operated pump, like a garden sprayer. If he cleans that window any more times, he will go right through it ;D
He mentions that there is a Chemical Compund in the spayer, any ideas, I didnt know we could add anything to the pure water???

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:36:21 pm »
Sorry, I forgot, Im using my partners computer and the sound doesnt work.  It hasnt got any apostrophes on it either as shes got it set up for Danish ::)

I reckon the "compound" is either a bit of b......t and theres nothing there, or it could be isopropanol

Any other compound, unless its completely volatile (all evaporates away) must leave a deposit on the glass

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:24 pm »
Sorry, I forgot, Im using my partners computer and the sound doesnt work. It hasnt got any apostrophes on it either as shes got it set up for Danish ::)

I reckon the "compound" is either a bit of b......t and theres nothing there, or it could be isopropanol

Any other compound, unless its completely volatile (all evaporates away) must leave a deposit on the glass
So not a good idea to use then, I'd like to know what it really is, why dosnt he tell us??

jaykie

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:01:00 pm »
Someone on this forum did this video not so long ago i believe and its white vinegar, if you go back a few pages you should find the thread.

Chameleon

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:42 pm »
Isn't that interesting?
I often wondered why some glass "Rivers or Beads" as I put it.

I hear from old people all the time.. "do you put vinegar in the water" just used to laugh!

Now I am not so sure! :-\
I might just get a spray bottle and applicator and see if it works and for how long! 8)
cheers for posting it ;)

ftp

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:37 pm »
All the guy is doing is breaking the surface tension of the water i think. When he goes back to pure i would imagine the glass is going to bead again. Alcohol (isopropanol) does the same thing it changes the angle of the water droplets to the glass in effect spreading the bead of water and making it wetter. The same principle is used in the print industry with alcohol between ten and twelve percent in water.

ccmids

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:48:48 pm »

the guy in vid knows what hes talking about ive spoken to him some time ago he has it all worked out .

ZaNo

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:13:54 pm »
If your good a WFP any glass will come up..you dont need to start messing around with vinegar IMO.

ftp

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 02:15:25 pm »
So the point of the video is?

Some guys prefer glass that repels water anyway.

s.hughes

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »
I sometimes put vinegar in to my water when I trad but not wfp, so long as it dries clean then thats all that matters. I really dont like the idea of putting chemicals in to pure water. It may be different for hot water systems (I really dont know) but not for cold.

s.hughes

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 02:59:28 pm »
www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=69071.0
Yup I will just stay with pure water, I have no backpack so just cant see the point.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 02:59:52 pm »
It may make the glass sheet but doesnt help remove the spotting problems when dried.

paulben

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:09 pm »
there used to be a product years ago for washing cars used to wash as normal then when it came to rinsing u put a cap full in your bucket chuck it over car and water would run off leaving car dry it was brill but dont know what it was called just thought it was a similar thing
Do not steal the government hates competition