Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

carpet retailers
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:51 pm »
Did  a stain removal job today on a beautiful light creme 80/20 mix carpet . it had only been laid 7 weeks proper nice from a high end retailer , stain came out no problem customer happy , she then showed me the en suite bathroom water marks all over it , the company had fitted  the same hessian backed carpet in all the the bathrooms ,

my question is has this customer been mis sold a product which is not fit the purpose it is meant for , and can I do any anything to help

John

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

Re: carpet retailers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:28 pm »
John

There is nothing stopping someone having a hessian backed carpet laid in a bathroom or indeed a woven one - personally I don't like carpets in a bathroom, I prefer hard flooring - far more practical and I would argue more hygenic.

But still a lot of clients insist on having carpet in their bathroom - and not a washable type bathroom carpet - they want the same carpet as laid in the rest of the house. I sell it on the proviso that providing they put down a bath mat or a towel and don't slop water everywhere then there won't be too much of a problem.

If your client has got water staining already - and assuming it's not a velvet pile which has got pile reversal already - then I would suggest that maybe she hasn't been that careful.

Steve

clinton

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »
Steve

Wasn going to ask you if a house has underfloor heating with a white wool carpet does it afect the carpet before or after cleaning as i have some clients with large houses with the underfloor heating systems ???

pete sween

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:21:53 pm »
Agree with everything that Steve say plus (scuse the pun) more. "Fit for the purpose for which it was intended" is a statement derived from the consumer protection act of 1957.

If a customer asks for carpet to be fitted in a bathroom and it is then it answers the above. If a carpet is fit upside down or in the wrong room then it falls into this category. Customer may have been ill advised but as Steve said, that is a matter of opinion and whilst Professioanl Imdemnity touches on this you would be hard pushed to bring a successful action in a situation like this.

Pete

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 04:59:09 pm »
Clinton

I don't know if, or indeed why, underfloor heating should affect cleaning.

I tend to find underfloor heating in new builds under a concrete screed or in refurbs under chipboard.

The only problem I can think of is that underfloor heating could prematurely dry out a rubber underlay causing it to crumble.

Mind you, I don't use rubber anymore and haven't done for over 5 years.

You could argue that it would assist with drying times after we have cleaned, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Steve

clinton

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 05:17:39 pm »
Steve

Thanks for the reply on that.

Think your right on the aid of the drying with underfloor heating :)

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 12:50:24 am »
The only problem I've had with underfloor heating is cleaning the bedrooms in my regular nursing home using M-Power.  I'm aiming at a longer dwell time than detergents so have to spray up quite liberally.  I dilute it at 1:90 for these jobs an apply loads with an 03 jet.

I always extract and then re-spray and bonnet afterwards... the underfloor heating actually helps out at this point because I don't need to put fans in the rooms afterwards, just leave a window open and it's dried within an hour.

The bedrooms are all low profile polyprop loop pile carpet (not tiles) so I'm conscious of wicking but it doesn't happen.