Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jaykie

What to do
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:02:13 pm »
Ive just been to look at a job that ive been asked to price up by a management company, this place is a wardend estate of bungalows with a office at the end and its massive probs 2 days for 2 men, they want the windows on all done every month and the internal of there office, i dont really want to do this on my own but dont really know lads that are employed w/c only people that own there own companys so therefore ill be paying a bigger wage if i ask any of them to do it, dont management companys go for the lowest quote and assuming the companys i know that have probably been asked to price it up will probs of gone in real cheap as thay do a splash job and also miss windows ( steve-uk and cleanglass youll know who im talking about) Im not in with any management companys yet although ive been asked to quote in the pas so do i put in cheap to get the job, also if I do get someone to do it with me how do i pay as there not a employee and im not subbing so how do i put this in my books or is it a expense made to a company, Anyone local up for putting a quote in with me.

Chris

AJ

Re: What to do
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:31:13 pm »
Take someone with you to quote it.
get them to quote it and add your %age on top.
If you get it, you get it. If you don't you don't.
Unless you got 4 days in the month spare to do it on your own.
Don't worry about jobs that you have to go in cheap for cos in the long run they don't pay.
Quote for your standard rate. if you get it and don't want/can't do it, find someone who will do it cheaper than you priced it for.

jaykie

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:37:16 pm »
Ive been going for 7 months so havent got a full round so doing it myself wouldnt be a problem but for the pro look thought would do wirh someone else, its a 12 month contract so if it was too cheap i could amend this when renewel came up.

lenny1

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »
its ok doing by yourself but remember management companies don't always pay straight away you can wait for a long time (i have) so if it takes four days then theres four days without getting any cash in and not knowing when it will arrive so make sure you have terms of payment before you start.

AJ

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:42:58 pm »
just looked at your site. van looks good, you got the system, insured, you look pro enough. A day only lasts as long as your water anyway.so 2 men half a day at a time or 1 man all day, makes no odds. If they ask, which they won't, you just tell them you prefer doing new jobs yourself, especially the first time. All they want is the job done. As already said, you will have to wait min 30days for your payment so maybe factor a bit of 'waiting time' in your quote and don't be afraid to ask for your money when its due.

peter holley

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:50:13 pm »
its ok doing by yourself but remember management companies don't always pay straight away you can wait for a long time (i have) so if it takes four days then theres four days without getting any cash in and not knowing when it will arrive so make sure you have terms of payment before you start.

i agree.. my main hang up on this would be getting paid...
maybe in your quote you can specify that payments settled on completion get a 10% reduction....(as long as you cover this reduction in your price)

AJ

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:58:40 pm »
maybe in your quote you can specify that payments settled on completion get a 10% reduction....(as long as you cover this reduction in your price)

I wouldn't, you could offer that after 30 days as an incentive to pay on time as long as there is 10% already on top (its just adding a late payment fee), but to ask for immediate payment would not look pro at all. In my eyes it makes you look desperate with no cash flow in your business.
Not a dig, just my opinion as all my business is 30 day account work.

jaykie

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »
In there terms theyve stated i can either agree on payments on bank transfer on 4 or 12 weekly

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »

I wouldn't, you could offer that after 30 days as an incentive to pay on time as long as there is 10% already on top (its just adding a late payment fee), but to ask for immediate payment would not look pro at all. In my eyes it makes you look desperate with no cash flow in your business.
Not a dig, just my opinion as all my business is 30 day account work.

your right .. its just im a worrier, and hate waiting for money and then having to chase it up ::)

NWH

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »
This is what i do sub it out,i do an invoice for them to sign for work done.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »
When i sub out it always works out £45-£55 an hour that way they`ll turn up on time and want to do it on a regular basis if it`s peanuts they`ll fob you off and leave you in the lurch so to speak,always pay them what they`ll want on there work at least.There`s no point in getting the work and having no help through being greedy.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 10:55:23 pm »
When i sub out it always works out £45-£55 an hour that way they`ll turn up on time and want to do it on a regular basis if it`s peanuts they`ll fob you off and leave you in the lurch so to speak,always pay them what they`ll want on there work at least.There`s no point in getting the work and having no help through being greedy.

Pretty much what he said. The last thing you want is to be tangled up with work no-one wants to do because its priced too cheaply.

CLEANGLASSUK

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 10:56:43 pm »
RWC if you need help with the job just give me a ring and i can help you if needed.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:03:05 pm »
Are you doing it Trad or WFP ? There is place similar to what you are describing near me I used to clean a few individual places years ago and to be honest I wouldn't want to use WFP there with all the elderly wandering around.
Sussex by the sea

jaykie

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:09:03 am »
chris@c.m.s where abouts are you,
cleanglass i might take you up on this as looking for someone local, is your van sign written.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 10:42:21 am »
I'm in Sompting so not to far away, could probably help if needed nothing pro looking about my van though  ;) Cafe is calling then off to work will catch up later.

Sussex by the sea

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 03:09:35 pm »
Chris you should have mail.
Sussex by the sea

CLEANGLASSUK

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 04:52:13 pm »
chris@c.m.s where abouts are you,
cleanglass i might take you up on this as looking for someone local, is your van sign written.

RWC , i do have sign writing on magnetic signs can take off if needed. ;D