Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kinder clean

ADVISE NEEDED - Tufted wool rug clean - see pics
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:14:50 pm »
I have attached some pics of the rug, it's 100% wool tufted made in India.

The rug is quite grey with dirt, the owner has it in front of a wood burning fireplace.

Do you think ultra pac renovate would be ok to use on this rug? I think it's going to take something strong like that to remove the dirt?

Any advice appreicated.

Thanks

Paul

derek west

Re: ADVISE NEEDED - Tufted wool rug clean - see pics
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »
i would multi pro 1 to 8 it, rinse with hydra clearwater,dryer for 10 mins,  then (if needed)one step micro splitter concentrate, agitate with sebo , hand brush agitate any spots with a m/s and extract as above. then dryer for an hour, jobs a gooden and relatively safe.
oh! 250psi
derek

John Gregory

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 04:45:46 pm »
have to disagree with Derek , if you put sebo on that rug it would end up looking like Kevin Keegan's hair (1972 )

John

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »
Vac Vac Vac Vac and Vac again both sides.
I would pre-spray heavily with psg , 15 mins dwell then acid rinse.
If you have any badly soiled areas with carbon/soot then ultrapac renovate and rinse again.
Mark

derek west

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 04:58:01 pm »
john (tut tut)
i think paul wants ideas on how to do it, not pick faults with everyone elses view, ive done loads with a sebo and kevin didn't appear from anywhere. not saying my way is the right way, its just how i would do it.
now be a good chap and answer pauls question.
derek
oh and yes mark, vac vac vac, forgot that bit.

John Gregory

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 05:04:20 pm »
john (tut tut)
i think paul wants ideas on how to do it, not pick faults with everyone elses view, ive done loads with a sebo and kevin didn't appear from anywhere. not saying my way is the right way, its just how i would do it.
now be a good chap and answer pauls question.
derek
oh and yes mark, vac vac vac, forgot that bit.

sorry Derek you got the wrong end of the stick mate looking at them pictures the rug is very similar to a berber if you try to aggitate it the pile will go fuzzy

John

John Gregory

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 05:47:35 pm »
now be a good chap and answer Pauls question

mark_roberts

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 05:52:12 pm »
Im with John on the Sebo.  A wool berber needs delicate attention.

Im also not sure if it is a tufted rug from India from the pic.  Looks like a cheap berber carpet that has been bound.

Ultraprep with an acid rinse should be fine if its that bad other wise use your micro splitter first.

Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 06:07:45 pm »
Sometimes these can go wavy I would take it away to clean it, MS and use a buffer with a bonnet or you could encap clean it.

Shaun

kinder clean

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 06:21:23 pm »
Hi Shaun

I was all set for Encap cleaning, but I think the 'Kevin Keegan effect' as John said would look far worst than it does already due to the agitation, wouldn't a bonnet clean do a similar thing?

I am hovering over the rug right now, with HWE and Ultrapac renovate as the rug is quite sooty (sits in front of a wood burner) Will clean a corner first, low pressure as I need to get it dry for tomorrow evening.

Paul

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 06:39:57 pm »
With any strange colour,I would first test the fibre.Ultrapac is very alkaline,and can turn oranges and reds black in certain instances.Then if all is safe,acid rinse,after testing the acid rinse.If IN DOUBT,TEST,TESTand test again.I know this from expensive experience

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 06:48:46 pm »
I've rotary cleaned loads of these with no ill doing, the Cimex machines don't cause fluffying like a rotary.

Ultrapak can send wool yellow, I would have encapped and then turbo dried and then rinsed.

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 07:59:26 pm »
so its ok to vac with a roller brush, and when i say vac,( which lets face it the customer does endlessly) i mean vac vac and vac some more, thats ok, but its not ok to agitate with a machine thats half the weight of the sebo vac, you learn something illogical everyday,
i'll let you know when i get my first kevin keegan, until then i'll take the easy route.
happy days
derek

kinder clean

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 08:03:04 pm »
Ok thanks guys, jobs done. Attached a picture.

Shaun I cleaned another rug today with the cimex, just an Ikea type cheapy, used the cimex for that one no problem 5 minutes to clean!!

I will give the cimex a try next time on this type with your method.

I HWE this time, with a very mild U/R, not fantastic results (the photo's are not that good) its got a lot of crap out as you can see in the container, but it's still fairly gray where the rug was closest to the fireplace, I'm sure it will feel a lot softer anyway, used fibre and fabric rinse to extract.

Out of interest how much would you have charged for this? it was a take home and return job.

Thanks

Paul

markpowell

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »
Paul
What size is the rug?
Did you just clean the rug or are you doing other work for the same customer?
Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:08:06 pm »
Depends on how far you had to take it away from and take back, New York? if it's in a 5 mile radius £70, how much did the rug cost? if it cost £50 then your too dear, how long did it take to do?

Need more info really.

Shaun

Bill Robinson

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 09:47:25 pm »
prespray gold agitate then soak with new ultimate master then hose it down then extract as much water as poss then clamp a blower under it

kinder clean

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 10:45:32 pm »
Mark / Shaun

This is part of a job I've done for a B&B in Hope Valley, the jobs worth £295 total - this rug and a cheapy Ikea rug, both of which were cleaned offsite, the rest of the job - water marks caused by condensation under 2 french windows, two 2 str sofas, 2 armchairs and one tall chair.
I factored £60 for this rug and £40 for the Ikea rug so I guess I'm not far out at that - plus I quoted 10 days to turn the rugs around, in the hope I have to travel in that direction again in that period - which I do tomorrow, hence the sudden rush.

Paul

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 01:02:46 am »
I'd have pressure washed it :)

Bill Robinson

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 03:08:35 pm »
why did you just clean the centre

bill