Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

R-CLEAN

CRAYONS?
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:57 pm »
Had a job today with bits of crayons stuck down the edge of the carpet i removed all the bits but the carpet was stained where it was taken from.

How would yous remove the marks from the edge if possible be cause the stains are still there.

Thanks Ralph

Jim_77

Re: CRAYONS?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:01:47 am »
d-limonene based solvent normally does it for me but you need to be careful due to delamination risks.  Apply indirectly, using a nappy towel.

Other than that, an alcohol based spotter quite often sorts it out.

Whatever you use, try it indeirectly with a nappy towel first to check for colour transfer... if you get a strong transfer that way, treat and extract.  Several light goes is better than one heavy one.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:26 am »
Ralph

I'd use the same approach as Young Jim, but a word of caution.  When you say the bits of crayon are ...."down the edge of the carpet" I presume you mean next to the skirting board.  If so, beware of removing paint from the skirting board.  I had a case once when fairly new paint was stripped merely by the fumes of a d'limonene solvent spotter :'(

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

R-CLEAN

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 05:07:05 pm »
Is d-limonene good on certain stains or is it a good all rounder.

thanks for replys ;)

Ralph

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:31:01 pm »
Think of it as a non-volatile solvent and use accordingly.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:24:46 pm »
Hi Guys

Crayons are made from Parafin Wax so I would try  white spirit or even parafin itself, but be careful and extarct afterwards .

These type of wax products are at the harder end of the scale and take a lot of softening, so dab on with towell or  cotton bud and leave for a while, then try to remove, repeat as necessary.

Cheers

Doug