Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

adam Clowes

How much carpet can I clean?
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:28:08 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am trying to learn about the industry. Does anyone know if you can work out how much carpet can be cleaned on a tank of solution?

For example, with a 19litre Prochem Polaris 500, how do I find out how many metres of carpet I can clean before refilling the tank?

I know this will depend on the state of the carpet but is there a way to get a rough idea before you try them out?

Also, if you can point me in the direction of any other practical start-up advice would be appreciated. Is there an essential brochure or info pack availible. Or a website with details on how to clean?

I should also mention that this is for a school project; I am not looking to really start the business but I need to come up with a plausible business plan. I can't get to any of the training sessions so I have come to the next best place: the forums.

Andrew Briscoe

Re: How much carpet can I clean?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:25:16 pm »
Fill solution tank , clean a carpet till you run out of solution, add up sq m cleaned = answer you require ;)

will give an average answer, obviously depends on degree of soiling.

lots of training available, click on search, enter training, and read all replies, also read  as much of forum as poss.

Andrew

russell morgan

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:40:36 pm »
where are you based adam

carlton care

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:00:08 pm »
On one job, you might clean three rooms with one tank and on another you might clean half a room on one tank................

Depends on degree of soiling

JandS

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:14 pm »
Does it matter?? When it runs out put some more in.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:48:41 pm »
but hes doing a project for school - needs facts and figures for it.

derek west

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:54:12 pm »
just make it up adam, teachers will never know as long as it sounds about right.
derek

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:05:03 pm »
If my memory serves me well  Adam from my portable days back in the eighty's I use to fill my extracta 10 gal machine to clean a 3 pce suite . then again to clean a carpet 15 x 12 and usually there would be enough left over to clean a small hall way say 12 x 4 . That was on a good day on a bad day you could halve that again :-[

francis

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 09:43:02 pm »
It really is a no brainer to go truckmount.  All this emptying and refilling takes time and time is money

JandS

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:45:15 pm »
TM = ACCESS = SECURITY = WEATHERING with door being open all time
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

adam Clowes

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm based in Stoke but I am not in business - last year of education unless I stay for longer :-s (Feel free to suggest good careers as I haven't a clue - just don't want to be sitting all day)

I managed to get an estimate from a supplier of cleaning solution which dilutes at a ration of 1:120 - they said around 8000 m2 of carpet for 10 litres. This seems a lot but as I have no experience it's the only estimate I have to work with.

derek west

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 06:26:57 pm »
i think they meant 8000 m sq for 10 litres of cleaning solution before the dilution which equates to 1200 litres of water, i think. divide that by a 40 litre tank = 30 tanks. divide 8000 by 30 =  266.66 sq metres of carpet per tank.
this all depends on a machine having a tank capacity of 40 litres, please feel free to use whatever tank capacities u require.
thank you very much, any questions see me after class.
derek

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 06:31:46 pm »
The best thing you can do is get your yellow pages call a local carpet cleaner and ask him! the reason am saying that is its the only way you will learn, plus it will add well in your learning process.
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Gary Webber

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 06:32:31 pm »
There are flow rate charts Adam. If you know the PSI rating of the pump and then the volume of the tank (19 litres) and the t-jet sizes you wil be able to calculate how many litres per minute the machine will clean with. This should give you an idea of then the Sq Metre area you would be able to clean.

Regards

Gary

nevil

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 06:34:05 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm based in Stoke but I am not in business - last year of education unless I stay for longer :-s (Feel free to suggest good careers as I haven't a clue - just don't want to be sitting all day)

I managed to get an estimate from a supplier of cleaning solution which dilutes at a ration of 1:120 - they said around 8000 m2 of carpet for 10 litres. This seems a lot but as I have no experience it's the only estimate I have to work with.

Sorry to say it Adam but you really should do a course. Many of the suppliers offer them. If I were starting out I would consider the Ncca.

I guess you are trying to work out your costs for materials. These are quite low next to the labour element. Your workrate, will depend on the proceedure you use and the machinery you buy. Worrying about a few pounds saved on chemicals is pretty pointless when you could potentialy be working at half speed without the propper tools/training.

For what it's worth I would try to get the best machine you can afford.  

derek west

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 07:28:33 pm »
nevil
read the whole thread mate. he doesn't want to be a carpet cleaner, its a school project.
derek

Ricky M

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 07:39:07 pm »
Adam, Im sort of in your area and cover S-O-T, if you would like a day out to see a couple of jobs Im sure you would be able to come along and see what you think , there is little bit more to it then just buying the gear and Whallar their you go jobs a good en and your earning big MONEY over night  :P :P
Ive been lucky to be given a small family biz with lots of regulars, however the biz needed some major tweeking to stop the busy fool scenario  :( :(
with some great post , threads and advise on this and other forums ive now been able to make some very much needed changes: Thanks to C Starker , the wise ones Ken W & J Bolton , P sween , J neal and all the others that have passed some great wise knowledge .

I Have 2 portys , Rotary & a dry cleaning machine ( not used yet ! )    
 so if you want a day to have look and see if its for you get in touch

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Ricky M

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 07:41:34 pm »
Doh egg on my face didn read all Ha Ha

Ricky ;D ;D ;D ;D
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

nevil

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 10:10:19 pm »
nevil
read the whole thread mate. he doesn't want to be a carpet cleaner, its a school project.
derek

OOPS :-[

ollie

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 12:59:20 pm »
Just make it up adam, I made up a whole geography project about a local river when I was in school, I just made up depths and widths and rate of flow etc , never left my house and got a  Bplus for it  ;)
ollie