Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Never speak to strangers...unless you really have to!
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:31:45 am »
Last night I was cleaning the offices for about the seventh year of a civil engineering company (lots of men in muddy boots walking in and out) when this guy asks me "what chemicals are you using?".

This was strange in itself as this was only the second time in nearly ten years somebody had specifically wanted to know who the manufacturer of the chemicals was and what was in it. And the first time had been on Monday this week!

(Monday's guy was harmless as he is somebody who buys and sells companies and in the past he had done so with carpet cleaning companies. And yes he had been impressed with my cleaning.)

Anyway back to last night.

I say "Prochem". He says "Can I see your COSSH sheets?" and I'm thinking  >:(. However been politeness personified I show him the tubs and he starts reading the instructions on the front and then says "So why aren't you wearing gloves and a face-mask?" :o Not sure if he believed me when I said it wasn't actually necessary to do so!

Turned out he's a relatively new and "keen" employee of the company charged with "elf 'n' safety"! Apparently he got quite worked up about the consequences of the dust and grit that swirls around in the lorry compound getting in the employees eyes. One director had to point out to him that he ,the director, was more concerned about employees being run over by lorries than dust in the eye  and that most sensible people would simply rub their eye if a bit of dust got into it.

Hope I don't get into trouble with anybody. :)
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Re: Never speak to strangers...unless you really have to!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:10 am »
should of made him sign something to view your coshh sheets

roger underhill

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:49 am »
Hi,
I always carry my COSHH sheets in a folder. A manager or health & safety chap can stop your work at any time if you cannot show them as they can if you have no written risk assesment of your work routines.
Family business founded in 1985

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:16:21 pm »
You really need to be carrying cosh sheets of all the products on your vehicle.

sherco

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:36:25 pm »
Also if anything nasty happens, like somebody's child likes the look of that nice smelling stuff in that container and has a drink, you have all the relevant things for the emergency services....''OHH THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME!!
Maybe not but could you live with the consequences of knowing that if you had all the right documents in your van it would of helped.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:01:34 pm »
keep all mine in my briefcase, easy access, you can print them all off the net from most suppliers websites

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
John

Are the COSHH sheets on the website so I can download some?

Mike

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
cant remember what site i got mine from, you can download all the prochem stuff on the prochem website

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 05:57:08 pm »
Yeah, just Craftex ones I need.

clinton

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 06:01:25 pm »
can get them from your supliers as well :)

darrenbale

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:12:21 pm »
your supplier is supposed to provide them to you when you first use the product and then at any time in the future if you request them.
"for all your cleaning needs"
Fresh Cleaning Solutions Ltd

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »
I used to get my Craftex stuff from Taunton but I'd been going a while before then. I have all Prochem and Ashby ones.

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:28 pm »
Mike

Funnily enough I've just started putting the Craftex MSDS sheets up.  You'll find them available for downloading on the individual product description pages under "Additional product information - Safety Data Sheet".

Only a few available at the moment but I'm hoping to get the rest done by the middle of next week.

Lynn
(Mrs K)

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:54 pm »
Thank you Lynn