Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave0123

speed! :)
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:00:35 pm »
Some might no i have just taken a lad on and this is his third week.

He has got the technique with the blade etc which am pleased about but he is just quite slow. He checks over this window he is cleaning once cleaned and 98% there fine, but its slow am not any faster with him yet.

I just wonderd if there any tips i can give him to help him speed up? he is only on grounds.

Thanks dave
Dave.

Slash

Re: speed! :)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »
Give him some SPEED! ;D ;D ;D ;D

alanwilson

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:07:02 pm »
dave - go back over the technique with him once more, except this time at normal operating speed and get him to show you the same technique at the same speed.  He should manage it without any probs.  Don't forget, the important thing is that he is doing the job right and that speed, especially with trad tools is something that can take a little while to get up to speed with.

He is probably a little unsure of the quality of his own work so I would tell him not to bother checking over the work and that if there are any problems the customer will let you know and for him not to worry about it.

with a little bit of persuasion he'll speed up soon.  well you would like to think so.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

EVER CLEAN

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:20:11 pm »
as long as the quality is there, the speed will come.
he wont even notice he is going faster, but the main thing is he doesnt walk away from the window unless it is perfect

trust me the speed will follow...... if it doesnt........ SACK HIM!
service with a shine !

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »
You need to give him a few more weeks it takes time to get the nack or a sqeegee but you should be coaching him as much as possible, let him know that you want it done you way or no way, and let him know that he needs to pick up the pace, I wouldn't preasure him, let him know that you know it will take him some time, if you followed that, and ask him if there is anything that he is unsure about. I know if its cold the glass will take a couple of seconds to clear, maybe he thinks he is leaving streaks when it will evaporate etc..

Gerard  :)

adixon

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:03:10 pm »
Im sure we were all like that at the start, the speed will come

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:06:59 pm »
dave - go back over the technique with him once more, except this time at normal operating speed and get him to show you the same technique at the same speed.  He should manage it without any probs.  Don't forget, the important thing is that he is doing the job right and that speed, especially with trad tools is something that can take a little while to get up to speed with.

He is probably a little unsure of the quality of his own work so I would tell him not to bother checking over the work and that if there are any problems the customer will let you know and for him not to worry about it.

with a little bit of persuasion he'll speed up soon.  well you would like to think so.

Thanks Alan i will try that good idea.

Yes i mean most of the time the windows are fine and dont have to touch anything sometimes its just sills need a little more wipe sometimes its a little bit more scrimming but generally fine.

I also knwo the speed comes that was same with me just wondering if there was little tips to help him speed up ive told him the obv ones like soap up two windows at one time blade off both etc alsong as its not a hot day.

this is his third week so see how thinkgs go over another 2 weeks i will start asking him to take his gear home and practise on his own windows too lol  ;D

dave
Dave.

dave0123

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:22:24 pm »
Cheers Gerard thats also good advice.

I have never trined anyone up before and carnt really remember what i got taught when i started in a company altho usally left to mess up really.

I will hopefully spend a day tommorow if weather is ok looking at the speed and giving him help to speed up etc.

On the hole he seems a good lad and willing to learn at the age of only 16 he has not been late ot taken time off over the last 2 weeks ano thats nothing but i have heard so many story's about new lads starting lol and lasting 2 days then being late or not turning up etc. He is allways polite and even sugguested working a last saturday to catch up  ;D

dave

Thanks.
Dave.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 06:59:31 pm »
Its good at this point that he isnt cleaning them too fast,

Before when ive trained people up they have maybe considered themselves above window cleaning and thought that it was easy and havent even bothered checking their work.

Speed will come in time. Making sure the window is cleaned correctly is the most important thing to start with.

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

matt cloud

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 07:12:43 pm »
My old boss used to have  races with me , Then he would let me win a few times,It was not long before i was faster then him  ;D ;D ;D . twenty years later i am taking delivery of a new van and wfp system, because i am getting old and slow now!!! :o :o ;D

wightsurf

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:30 pm »
Why not offer him a little bonus if he speeds up a bit

Balvindaa

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:01 pm »
Hi
     making a good job doesn't come naturally. Speed does. Give him time. Going back to correct mistakes cost time = money. So long as you have peace of mind knowing he is doing a good job what more could you ask for bearing in mind he is wanting to make a good job.
    Also he is not familiar with all your work. Just be patient. I normally pay people a % so their wages increase with their speed.

Bal

dave0123

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:34 pm »
Its good at this point that he isnt cleaning them too fast,

Before when ive trained people up they have maybe considered themselves above window cleaning and thought that it was easy and havent even bothered checking their work.

Speed will come in time. Making sure the window is cleaned correctly is the most important thing to start with.

Yeah ive been looking for that when making sure he is cleaning them properley no matter now long it takes.

Why not offer him a little bonus if he speeds up a bit

Thats on offer i said once your faster you will make more money around extra 50 60 a week based on how much work we get done etc,

dave
Dave.