Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

morris r

Help needed
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:30:05 pm »
Hi guys I’m a wannabe. I live in Staffordshire & took early retirement last year. Been working part time ever since but now want to take a leap into working for myself.
I’ve been reading your comments online & find them really informative u sound a good bunch. (Patronising git he wants something.)
Here’s my problem I’ve got ziltch in the way of clients or equipment and would really like your input as to what WFP system to buy. (Missus doesn’t like the thought of me going up ladders)
I’m looking at second hand systems to start with on ebay or on here, to keep the pennies down. Can’t decide whether to go for a trolley or van system.  PS haven’t got a van yet.
Do you target residential or industrial? Most of your comments seem to be residential biased is that because you need to start small and work up?
If your still there thanks for reading this and your comments will be graciously received.

doak

Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:31:13 pm »
mate speak to matt he will hook you up with a diy link
under £500
i wanna work
i wanna be a millionare
i wanna clean windows

Dean Aspects

easycleaner

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:03:47 pm »
Hi, give Pure Freedom a call the sometimes have ex demo machines and equipment. 01472 347519.
Mart

morris r

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 06:17:17 pm »
Thanks for your replies. I need to have a long think now about which sytem to go for, also who i target. Although i think i should'nt run before i can walk.
 ???

ftp

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:32:06 pm »
Target residential first - they are easy targets, plenty of them. When you feel confident and know what you are doing and where you are heading then go for commercial (not so easy). Forget the shop fronts there's usually someone who cleans them for peanuts.

morris r

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:57:58 pm »
thanks ftp sounds like good advice ::)

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 07:31:39 pm »
where you from morris ? there minght be someone nearby who can help you out . start with family & friends first and build your custom up from there .
where theres muck theres money

morris r

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 07:42:49 pm »
Thanks Dave. Just been talking to simon as i was after a trolley system and got some good advice from him. Marketing seems the key.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31:32 pm »
Do you numbers first, money and hours you will have to put in and what you expect to get in return for your first year.

Top advice. What are your business skills like? If you are in your 50's and presentable then older folk will naturally trust you more.

How soon do you need to start earning? Have you got time to start up and build or do you need to buy work or a mixture of both?

What's your health like? Have you a pension that kicks in now or later? Have you got a few grand behind you to invest?

Here's a plan for a month - do it now before the nights draw in at the end of October (and you'll be calling at the toughest time of the year) - Why not canvass every bungalow within a 3 mile radius (bungalows often have older less ambulant people living in them) and start doing what you get traditionally on a monthly or two monthly basis.

If you can get a few then you have a basis to work from. If you like it then you can consider building further or buying work.

Oh, and welcome to the board!
It's a game of three halves!

morris r

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 01:18:33 pm »
Thanks Malc for the welcome and the advice, I’m in no rush to start earning vast sums as I have a pension and at the moment I have a part time job which keeps my brain ticking calibrating precision instruments and supplements my pension but I have to travel an hour to get there which is why I need another avenue, hence the window cleaning.
I’m in good health although a bit overweight.
The bungalow idea seems a good one but how much you charge? is it half a house say £4 as around here the average 3 bed semi seems to be £8.
Also I haven’t got a system yet as I’m still deciding whether to go for a trolley or van.
Morris

Rob.Hall

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 02:26:47 pm »
I wish I had started with a van mount instead of a trolley.

However I found the trolley good when the weather was cold as  I only got a few hours lost time with frozen hoze etc. I used to keep the pipe up of the floor as much as possible.

As business grew it was a pain to keep lugging around and also faffing around with 25ltr containers which slowed me down.

I have found that the van mount is much quicker. I have no probs with laying out and realing in the microbore. A hint is to take the hose to the furthest point of work and work your way back. the end of the hose is then by the reel which helps when reeling in. No snagging or twisted hose.

Only probs I have encountered is dog poo  >:( and a few minor obsticals.

The downside of the job is the weather. Rain wind and the cold. You have to be a sort of outdoor guy with a massacist nature  ;D.
If you are an excuse man with regards to this you will never make it. ie, cant cope with cold hands, geting wet, or geting out of bed in the morning or I will do that/this tomorrow coz im a little tired now etc....you get my drift.

If you want to suceed stick at it.

When you build a round get some flyers and get out promoting your business.

Dont take on to much to start as wfp takes time to begin with.

Work at your own pace. Get it right first time. Dont be fooled into how fast some of the guys work on this forum. Remember when you first started riding a bike........there was lots to contend with and wfp is the same.

If you go the trolley route pick one which can be stripped down if ever you want to go van mount in the future. It will save money.

Chose what type of round you want ie 4,6,8 weekly etc.

Dont be grabbing for the first jobs with a low quotes. You will rule the day if you do.

Better to do few for a better price than loads for the same price as the few.

I worked for a guy first to see how I liked it.
I did the same trad. By the way learn trad its good for doing inside work and will pick you up loads of work. W/C think that everyone knows they do insides....believe me this is not the case.
I have picked up loads of work just from offering inside cleans as well as outside work when leflet dropping. 

Might be worth going on a course for a day to see the gear in action. I believe wintecs are now doing a course as well as others.

All the best which ever system you chose.

There is loads more.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 02:34:36 pm »
Hi,

Where in Staffordshire are you?

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Dean Taberner

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 02:35:27 pm »
Hi,

Where in Staffordshire are you?

Dean.

Rugeley. Just seen your profile ;D
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 05:44:26 pm »

The bungalow idea seems a good one but how much you charge? is it half a house say £4 as around here the average 3 bed semi seems to be £8.

Also I haven’t got a system yet as I’m still deciding whether to go for a trolley or van.
Morris

No, because a 3 bed bungalow will have the same number of windows as a 3 bed house. All the rooms need light see? It's just a bigger ground area.

A 1930's bungalow with two front bays, a front door, six other windows and a set of patio's? No leaded lights.

I'd go in at a tenner monthly and twelve quid two-monthly for traditional cleaning. But if I'm just looking for top-up money for my pension then you could drop a bit.

I'd have a minimum charge too - a bit flexible but work on a tenner - especially if it's a property on it's own - you could always say you'll knock a bit off if a neighbour goes on the round.

E.g. One bungalow in a village you have to drive to - £12
Get the neighbour too and you could do £10 each as it's compact.
Get half a dozen within a 100 yards and £10 a pop is good money when you're up to 3 an hour.

But to start it might take nearly an hour for one bungalow if you're inexperienced and trad. on a first clean so charge more for that one if it's mucky.

Be flexible, but gauge the custy - it can be a right pain if you do one for a tenner then you call back next month and they don't want you - so impress on them that this is a regular job, summer and winter - if that's what you want of course.

It's a game of three halves!

morris r

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 09:11:51 pm »
yes thanks malc