Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon knight

Wind and ladders and wfp
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:12:33 pm »

I won't go above 1st floor on me ladders if it's too blowy...20mph is blowy enough for me. How strong must the wind be before wfp can't be used safely and effectively above 1st floor?

wightsurf

Re: Wind and ladders and wfp
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:41:36 pm »
I work in a force 6 on first floors !

NWH

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:52:18 pm »
If it`s really windy it has a lot to do with what pole you use,in the wind your better off with a carbon telescopic rather than a modular.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:53:32 pm »
Why ?

NWH

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:56:07 pm »
Because there easier to control,a modular in high wind at height is like trying to land a shark with a stick of bamboo and a pin for a hook.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:57:27 pm »
Just asking. So are they easier because they are heavier ?

NWH

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »
Yes in strong wind a slightly heavier tele carbon pole is easier to control,i find i can feel more easily what it`s doing.It`s not so much of a shock when you get a strong gust all of a sudden,it`s also easier to get it back if it trys to go.At height is the only time i would favour the tele over the modular though due to the wind.

dai

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:28:22 pm »

I won't go above 1st floor on me ladders if it's too blowy...20mph is blowy enough for me. How strong must the wind be before wfp can't be used safely and effectively above 1st floor?

A lot depends on the size of the guy using the pole. I have been doing 3 storey town houses all week, and that's on a marina facing north. I do have big arms though.
I was using a Harris pole with an Unger top section attached to it.

wightsurf

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 07:41:29 pm »
Harris pole club  ;D

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:04:32 pm »

A lot depends on the size of the guy using the pole. I have been doing 3 storey town houses all week, and that's on a marina facing north. I do have big arms though.
I was using a Harris pole with an Unger top section attached to it.

I'm a bit of an old geezer (51 8) but used to humping ladders around all day so reckon I have the arm strength.

I'm thinking of getting a backpack set-up for use on 2nd floor windows (ground and 1st floor I'll still be a ladder monkey) but what bothers me slightly is if it's very windy (25+ mph) will I be able to control it?

matt

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:31:09 pm »
i used to use my unger ali pole in all winds, nothing stopped it

with the RT zensorflex now its a little different, i trade off with the weight of the pole

pjulk

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »
WFP is better to use when windy but if you are somewhere were a lot of dust is blowing everywhere forget WFP as the dust sticks straight to it while its wet.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 10:19:07 pm »
Hmm yes but .... then the dust drops off when its dry ? Not anything like the whole answer. But when you wash the glass the milky residue is stirred by the brush and becomes unstuck so that when it dries the loose dust drops off the clean glass ?

Dave Turley

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 09:25:49 am »
hi jeff! 

I was struggling yesterday at 35ft with my emporium, but i'd rather postpone part of a job for a day than get a heavy pole!  ;)

I did a job once next to a building site on a very wet and windy day, and the next month the custy said that the windows looked "gritty" when they'd dried!

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 09:50:03 am »
We were doing a building site this week and before we left they were covered again in sand and dust,

But it did not fall off we checked the next day and it looked as though we didn't touch them.

Then we did the next building traditional and they looked a lot cleaner although there was still a bit of dust, sand sticking to them no where near what we had on the previous building we WFP'ed

dai

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 11:02:18 am »
We were doing a building site this week and before we left they were covered again in sand and dust,

But it did not fall off we checked the next day and it looked as though we didn't touch them.

Then we did the next building traditional and they looked a lot cleaner although there was still a bit of dust, sand sticking to them no where near what we had on the previous building we WFP'ed
That's and interesting and informed observation Paul, it makes sense that sand/dust will stick better to wet glass, I like Jeff thought that most of it falls off when it dries. I suppose that any cement dust would remain, but the usual little bits that blow in the wind fall off.

simon knight

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »
So for somebody who's not used to wfp...what do I get to use on 2nd floor windows? Something light and risk being blown all over the gaff or something heavier and need to go down the gym and pump iron to be able to handle the bloody thing?