Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Re: Handy tool to have in your box
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:55:30 pm »
I already have one of those and they are pretty good.  A while ago, the EU insisted that all new tyres were sold with a built in tread marker so that you can see when a tyre has reached its legal limit.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:19:49 pm »
while ago there I knew my tyres were needed sorted, and had put it off, but it was in the paper about taxi drivers getting checked and fined. So I took mine up to the garage and had to get two new one's then 2 months later had the MOT as well to get sorted. But all fixed now, after spending a total of about £260 on the thing.

But it would have been much worse if I never and got fined aswell.

There is no such thing as bad luck when it comes to your equipement failing, its only poor maintenance. - qoute from deadliest catch. not word for word but it was something along them lines.

gerard  :)

jaykie

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:24:54 pm »
Well tyres for our vans arent cheap, im getting 2 and as im carrying wfp 650 liter tank i have to get ones that can handle it and the £140 each.

Chris

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:28:46 pm »
Well tyres for our vans arent cheap, im getting 2 and as im carrying wfp 650 liter tank i have to get ones that can handle it and the £140 each.

Chris

Wow !!.  I don't pay much more than that for a pair (Renault Trafic).

jaykie

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 06:34:41 pm »
thats the van i got, phone up tyre companys and tell them what you use your van for and how much payload you use and theyll tell you to get Michelin Agilis as these are used when a van is used with a full payload

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:12:23 pm »
Yea, I used to get bulk-standard cheapo remould tyres when I was trad and all I had was a ladder and bucket of water, think things are likely to be different once tyres need to be changed now.  >:(

NWH

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 07:17:15 pm »
I`m going to try thoses tyres out Chris,i`m due for some next week Agilis i`ll try to remember that.I looked on the National tyres website just now and they do a couple of versions.

Ravensford

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 07:17:26 pm »
Have also had high pressure/heavy duty tyre valves fitted when last had new tyres. No extra charge.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:19:27 pm »
I always use the manufacturers reccommended tyres for the van.

For the T5 vw they fit reinforced continental tyres at £130 each.

jaykie

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:22:43 pm »
mine are agilis 81 cheapest i could get was £137 but dont know about your van.

Chris

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:32:56 am »
thats the van i got, phone up tyre companys and tell them what you use your van for and how much payload you use and theyll tell you to get Michelin Agilis as these are used when a van is used with a full payload

Usually with tyres, you pay a higher amount for softer rubber (I think) which improves road holding but which also means that they don't last as long.
Are you paying the higher rate for better roadholding/less longevity or are you paying the higher rate because the tyres last a lot longer?
BTW.  Not totally sure that what I've written is factual as it's anecdotal.
I'm happy to pay a lot more for tyres if I get a much higher lifespan from them but not for better roadholding if that means a shorter tyre life.  Before they all start jumping on me, I want to say that I do take things very gently with my driving - especially when I have a load of water on board.

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:18 am »
Hi
I paid £45.00 each, including fitting and balancing for two budget tyres for my Citreon Relay 1.9 1000D from a local tyre fitters a couple of weeks ago. No special deal.
They are made in China but then most are and need to be made to EU standards to be sold here. If they aren't made in China, then they are made in Poland etc.
So far they seem fine. I don't do much mileage and the van can't go very fast either.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)