Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

prestigeclean

Re: The Right to earn a living?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:03:25 pm »
clearly the customer has the right to say not today , but we can also say i,m sorry your off my list , its that simple , and its also obvious that the guys on here who earn moneyh are the one,s who work in it and if you say you should be able to earn enough on the good days then your not very ambitious regards alan

Feen

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
Just what I was getting at in my original post. I can't force them to have their windows cleaned and they can't force me to do it.
Feen

matt

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:35 pm »
Wrote a longer reply that went down with my computer >:( Basically I am fine with people calling off for holidays or whatever, but not when I am there and the weather is fine and it "might" rain later. Squeaky - shop job ??? Matt & ftp- did you actually read my post ???

yes i read it

im of the opinion that the customer is right, they pay the money, we provide a service

now its upto you to draw a line on how much the customer takes / you give

ive found the line i am happy with, my customers seem happy with the line aswell

if it rains, i dont clean, if it looks like its going to rain, they get cleaned, if its light drizzle and i have only a few windows to do, they get done

dudek

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:46 pm »
I have got rid of most of my non loyal custs now and when bringing a new person onto my rounds i tell them that i come rain or shine as thats the only way i can provide a regular service.

Apart from the odd line' you always come when it rains' from the more established of my custs i dont get a peep. ;)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:57 pm »
Wrote a longer reply that went down with my computer >:( Basically I am fine with people calling off for holidays or whatever, but not when I am there and the weather is fine and it "might" rain later. Squeaky - shop job ??? Matt & ftp- did you actually read my post ???

yes i read it

im of the opinion that the customer is right, they pay the money, we provide a service

now its upto you to draw a line on how much the customer takes / you give

ive found the line i am happy with, my customers seem happy with the line aswell

if it rains, i dont clean, if it looks like its going to rain, they get cleaned, if its light drizzle and i have only a few windows to do, they get done

sounds right apart from my weekly shops which get cleaned friday whatever the weather
Yep, I agree with both of you.

(except I do my shops on monday) ;D

peter holley

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:10 pm »
I agree that you should easily earn enough on dry days.

this isnt a dig,,, but last week there was only 2 dry days.....even £350 aday over 2 days wouldnt be enough! considering that we need to cover sickness holidays ,tax , repairs , the unexpected etc....

then again if i was single and living in a small house it would be ok... but i have 3 kids , a 4 bed detached, and a lifestyle that i have got used to :-\   im retracting my first sentence as i type :-\
maybe its my outgoings  thats the problem :(

davids3511

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
I agree that you should easily earn enough on dry days.

this isnt a dig,,, but last week there was only 2 dry days.....even £350 aday over 2 days wouldnt be enough! considering that we need to cover sickness holidays ,tax , repairs , the unexpected etc....

then again if i was single and living in a small house it would be ok... but i have 3 kids , a 4 bed detached, and a lifestyle that i have got used to :-\   im retracting my first sentence as i type :-\
maybe its my outgoings  thats the problem :(

I agree. Problem is on a topic like this is that everyone else thinks they know how much people should be happy to live on without having a clue what their circumstances are.

peter holley

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 09:50:52 pm »
i worked today in very bad weather, and about 70% were in , i had no funny comments , just empathy on that the rain has been bad over the past few months.... it gave me a boost to know that i can and will continue to work in the rain..... wrap up hoody on ...radio on ...wear a smile and crack on ...then count the money at the end of the day, and pat yourself on the back for perseveering :D

Tim82

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »
I think a customer has the right to say not this time as long as it is the exception rather than the rule.
If they do it too much i don't go back and don't tell them.

3 strikes and they're out is how i do it.

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 02:20:44 pm »
We don't have a constitution as america does. We do not have the right to drive a car, or to earn a living. We are not born or created equal either.

Luckily the government does allow us to drive work and hold a passport, but these are not rights.

You’re an idiot Discount, it has nothing to do with government “Your Right’s” or maybe you have heard of “Liberty” of course you can earn a living to think otherwise you would be an idiot as you have clearly demonstrated.

::)

thats alittle harse mate, do you really want to spend your time insulting people on here or talking about window cleaning.

jefftemperley

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 03:01:37 pm »
part of the job is driving to the house if i arrive and told not today they get binned. if they give me notice to skip it no problem.... but i dont want to spend my time and fuel driving to jobs that wont pay
bad weather always looks worse through dirty windows

gsw

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 10:05:07 pm »
we dont have a "right" to earn a living BUT

when you take the customer on they are employing you to CLEAN their windows, my customers are informed at that time that I clean every 4 weeks or if they prefer every 8 weeks.

windows CAN be cleaned in the rain (even torrential):fact

so put the 2 together and they get a regular and reliable service at the interval they chose regardless of the weather.

If they decide at a later date this is not what they actually wanted, they have the RIGHT to decline my service and I have the RIGHT to tell them to stick their windows!! 

and so my business runs on.... rain or shine.

Londoner

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 10:01:42 am »
Actually, you do have the right to work. Its part of the Euopean Human Rights Act. But if you want to try telling that to some irate housewife on the doorstep in the rain - good luck.

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 10:15:11 am »
Thing is she also has the right to cancel  ;D

Not that it helps you or  makes you feel particularly good about your world, but she does!

matt

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 10:25:38 am »
So you do have a “Right” to clean there windows every 4 weeks or 8 weeks!

“The right to earn a living” Common Law? Goes back to the Magna Carta, bureaucrats would have you thinking otherwise!

yes mrs jones, i WILL clean your windows in the pouring rain, why, its my right, it goes back to the Magna Carta

will that really work ? ? ? ?

cybersye

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 11:13:34 am »
When you have an established round and you know most of your customers you'll be aware of the messers/fussers, those who are out during the day and those easy jobs where rain wont effect you too much. Personally I dont work if its already raining before I go out. I dont mind being behind because of the weather because I know the money is there and I will catch up. If I have to work on rainy days then I pick the ones I know wont be in or mess me about.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 05:34:06 pm »
I don't enjoy working in the rain. But I know I can if I have to because I tell my custy's when I take them on that I while will try to work in dry conditions I will work when it's "light showers and not blowing a gale".

Occasionally I used to get the not today's and I had a surprising one for the first time in a year last week over which I took a business decision (poor access, low value) to "let go"...

I too notice that the financially successful train their custy's from the outset and those that want to justify why they aren't financially successful use rain as an excuse along with "you can't do that in my area" to any helpful suggestion on this forum.
It's a game of three halves!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 06:42:14 pm »
So you do have a “Right” to clean there windows every 4 weeks or 8 weeks!

“The right to earn a living” Common Law? Goes back to the Magna Carta, bureaucrats would have you thinking otherwise!

yes mrs jones, i WILL clean your windows in the pouring rain, why, its my right, it goes back to the Magna Carta

will that really work ? ? ? ?

So did douible jeopardy but that didn't stop them from binning it (under limited circumstances for the time being)

peter holley

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 12:02:48 am »
I don't enjoy working in the rain. But I know I can if I have to because I tell my custy's when I take them on that I while will try to work in dry conditions I will work when it's "light showers and not blowing a gale".

Occasionally I used to get the not today's and I had a surprising one for the first time in a year last week over which I took a business decision (poor access, low value) to "let go"...

I too notice that the financially successful train their custy's from the outset and those that want to justify why they aren't financially successful use rain as an excuse along with "you can't do that in my area" to any helpful suggestion on this forum.

very well put!    spot on