Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Small but perfectley formed

Advice needed
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »
Best product to clean my own wool rug that has been in a kitchen area so fairly soiled.?
Spit and polish

John Gregory

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:48:41 pm »
skip

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:51:06 pm »
so what are you saying it cannot be cleaned
Spit and polish

John Gregory

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:56:26 pm »
Jason of course it can mate , I take it your a window cleaner with no carpet cleaning equipment , then just pay your local carpet cleaner to clean it

PS  A kitchen is not a good place to put a wool rug

John

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 05:18:44 pm »
can someone recomend a product ,they have used on wool with good results.
Spit and polish

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »
John if you are a carpet cleaner why couldnt you recomend a product instead of sarcasm i thought forums are places people exchange ideas and info?
Spit and polish

John Gregory

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 05:36:34 pm »
sorry Jason I wasn't meaning to be sarcastic . you have a dirty wool rug in your kitchen the only way of cleaning it is by using a detergent then extracting with appropriate equipment . you could damage the rug by cleaning it yourself with vanish , 1001 etc ,

John

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 05:47:16 pm »
john i will be using a rug doctor and a hand tool ,looked at prochems ultrapac renovate but the ph is 10.5 is this to high for wool also got some chemspec heavy duty soil lifter but no ph value on container any ideas? .Thinking of rinsing with just warm pure (zero tds)water any one tried this.
Spit and polish

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
Jason
If you have a extraction m/c, you will need to use Chemspec Oneclean trafficlane cleaner,as a pre-spray,  followed by a rinse with Oneclean powder.
OR, pe-spray with prochem presray Gold and rinse with fabric and fibre rinse.
If it really dirty you could use prochem multi pro as a prespray and rinse with fabric and fibre.Doing it with Multipro you really need to know what you are doing as there are risks.....
I think what john is saying is that if you use the wrong chemicals you could really s**g your rug up, ie colour run etc etc
The chemicals will cost you around £40.

Regards

Daryl

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:19 pm »
You may want to locate a carpet cleaner close to you and swap him cleaning it for doing his windows inside and out or something... far better than going and buying 40 quids worth of chems that you'd take another 10 years to use up.

Plus, with all due respect, you don't have the knowledge or equipment to do it properly yourself.

If your van's engine blew up, sure you could go down Halford's and buy a £40 tool kit but that doesn't mean you'd be able to fix the engine.

roger underhill

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 07:12:30 pm »
Jason,
how much is your rug worth, if the answer is not a fortune then just use what you have got. If there is damage done it will still probably look better, as you say it is very dirty
Family business founded in 1985

PaulKing

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
wool rug/ kitchen?
sorry guys but it a bit late t be caring for this rug with low ph and such you have had it next to grease and oil and all sorts, so question might be best rephrased as.

How can i clean a wool rug from a kitchen and get the oil and grease out without knacking it up to badly.

Formula 90( or such)  and a acidic rinse should do the job, sod the ph if it greasy as you'll not get it out without going over to the alkaline side. unless of course you use a solvent?

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

markpowell

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 08:07:26 pm »
Hot Powerburst pre-spray, rinse with fabric fibre rinse
Mark

john rees

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 08:27:12 pm »
Hi Jason,
              Try and get some prochem pre spray gold if you can, Chemsecs heavy duty soil lifter will work but not as well,vac the rug well with a good upright vacuum especially the back, pre spray, aggitate well with a brush(or use the rug doctors brush to work the pre spray in), then after a dwell time of about 15 mins rinse out with your pure water, I use pure r/o and di water with a zero tds every day and it rinses carpets with better results than any chemical I've used.

All the best
                                            John
john

jasonl

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 08:57:43 pm »
How big is the rug?  Smaller  than 1 metre... vac as  thoroughly as possible, then put in bath with  half a cup of washing powder, and some warm water,,  scrub it with a brush,,  rinse rinse and rinse again, this will rake about 30 mins,  let the water drain off then hang it outside somewhere on a dry , windy day, it will look amazing.

If larger than 1 metre it will be to large for the bath , and too heavy when wet, so , vac as much as poss, sprinkle washing powder on it , use an ordinary garden hose  to wet it , scrub with a clean broom , rinse rinse again with the hose, this is best done on a sloping area, to let the water run off, then hang to dry on a warm windy day.

I  have used this metod on smoke damaged , and water damaged rugs for several years, on items where shringage/damage is not an issue , I have found the results to be very good, and have never had shrinkage/ warping/distortion of rugs. It may cost ooooo 50p in cleaning products.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

derek west

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 08:59:56 pm »
i'm sure a good carpet cleaner will clean it for not much more than the price of hiring the rug doctor and you get to go to the pub while he does it, that would be my option if i wasn't a carpet cleaner, who am i kidding, i'd do that anyway, unless you own the rug doctor, then ignore this