Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sam1975

Help
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:42:08 pm »
Hi everyone

I have just cleaned some flood damaged carpets ( I spilt the entire content of a solution tank of a numatic rotary machine)

I removed the water then the next day a brown stain appeared (obviously I did not get enough water)

I removed the stain successfully>

However I did not remove the smell from this 1/2 inch shag pile carpet.

Now the owner is wanting to replace the carpet (been 10 days and they still claim smell) I am insured, though would prefer not to replace them.

How do i get rid of the smell? (it is very subtle)

Regards

Sam

Mike Halliday

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
odours need moister as a carrier, if you can still smell something perhaps its not completely dry, have you lifted the carpet, and smelled the underlay? is the odour more distinct in the under lay?

perhaps a topical masking agent might help until it completely dries, I like craftex stuff

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

sam1975

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »
Thanks Mike

Craftex.

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:27 pm »
Lift the carpet and place airmovers on site and get totally dry. If the carepts are 100% wool the smell well may be Kerotin. Once fully dry the smell will disappear ;)
Mark

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:49 pm »
Sam
Lift the carpet and replace the underlay in the affected area, Dont fanny around and just get rid of a problem, the owner cant stop you from trying to rectify the problem.
Make sure the carpet is dry before you refit or at least sanitize.
Regards
Daryl

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:31 pm »
If you've fixed the visual damage, that's all well and good.  From my experiences, the browning seems to have appeared a little early to be cellulosic or alkaline browning.  Has the carpet got a jute (Hessian) backing?

What pH was the solution spilled in it by the way?  Have you pH tested the affected area to make sure it's neutral?

Uplifting the carpet is probably the best way to go, to be honest.  There may well be moisture lurking down there, between the carpet & underlay, in the underlay itself, under the underlay (stop me if I'm sounding like a Mexican) and even soaked in to the subfloor.  Moisture + warmth = heaven for mould and bacteria, which are causing the smell.

Before relaying the carpet, make absolutely sure that the subfloor is dry (it should be treated with a microbiological inhibitor when first exposed).  If this had been a longer-term escape of water such as a burst pipe or higher volumes of water you'd need dehumidifying equipment to dry the floor off, but seems as  it was a low-volume localised spillage for a short time, you'd probably be fine just having an airmover on it overnight (yeah they'll love that, I know).

Replace the affected underlay - it's quicker and more practical than messing around trying to dry and sanitise it).

Refit the carpet which should have been stored so air can get to the affected area.  Obviously if you're like me and wouldn't attempt to fit/refit carpet, you'll need your friendly local carpet fitter on side.

That should still work out cheaper than an insurance claim, if your excess is hundreds.

Only one thing though, sometimes excess water can delaminate a carpet, it might not be immediately obvious.  You don't want to go through all that and then the customer rings you up a week later and says it's gone all puckered up.

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:50 pm »
^^ what he said, only longer :D

sam1975

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:09:04 pm »
Thanks All
Thats awesome
I will go for repacing the underlay.
Does any one know a fitter that could do it in Hampstead tomorrow? (Just had to ask :)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:16:40 pm »
We've got a shag pile rug that we're having similar problems with

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
Has the rug got a close weave white backing? and is it a chemical smell?
Is the backing quite hard?
if it does then it is going to be ny on impossibe to get rid of smell.
What was the cause?? Custy`s or yours?
Had one like this a few yrs ago, custy had put rug down on to a newly cleaned carpet we had it for a couple of mths and couldnt get rid of it.
As a last resort try putting it in direct sun light, backing UP, for a few days,
Daryl

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:42:47 am »
Following on from the advice about changing the underlay, just a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, make sure it is the same underlay you replace, especially in terms of thickness. If it's different then it will show through the carpet and feel different to walk on.

Secondly, make sure you seal the seams if when you cut in the new piece of underlay-you don't want draft marks appearing in the middle of the carpet.

Of course, if you were thinking of replacing the whole of the underlay then it's a different matter altogether.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Joe H

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:56:58 am »
and Sam, when you say you are insured - just check your plicy.

You might well have Public Liability policy but apparantly not all have cover called Treatment Risk. Thats the cover required for the carpet/suite you are working on. Pl will cover if you knock a Ming vase flying.

I only found this out when I wanted to join the NCCA and they want to see proof of both PL and TRisk - I didnt have the latter but do now.

Gary Webber

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:47 am »
Sam,

If the carpets were flood damaged surely the owner expects an element of odour / dampness until the carpet is fully dry.

The most important thing in this business is to quantify customers expectations. A good 10-15 mins talk on what you are going to do and the outcomes etc can save the customer complaints/queries.

I presonally would not uplift the carpet until I was sure it was 100% dry because of posible srinkage. Use air movers etc first and then THINK ABOUT replacing underlay

Gary :) :)

clinton

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:16:56 pm »
How did you get on sam with the flood dameage?