Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

vehicle payload?
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:46:08 pm »
Does anyone know if you can still tow a trailer if you are close to your maximum weight allowance? Does a trailer contribute to your max payload?

DaveG

Re: vehicle payload?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »
im pretty sure a trailer does contribute  to your max payload .. doesnt it say in the manual (if youve got one)
You can't polish a turd

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:17:47 am »
You can normaly tow a trailer more than your payload weight.

my payload is only 600kg for carrying weight but my towing weight is 1200kg
Dave.

WCE

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:35:54 am »
Payload and towing weights are different things. EG payload 600kg means the van can carry 600kg  and a 600kg towing weight means you can tow 600kg at the same time. Towing weight makes no difference to payload so if you tow a trailer you could double the amount of water you could carry without getting your collar felt!
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

ftp

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 01:30:31 pm »
That's what i was getting at. I know with a full load of water i'm within my max load but not by a large margin. If i was to consider pressure washing gutters, i would need to tow a light trailer for the petrol washer as i'm pushed for space in my Despatch.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 01:39:23 pm »
you will need to check your insurance, I know I am not insured to tow a trailor as I remember them pointing this out.

Ian

WCE

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:42:11 pm »
Thought that was what you meant. Yes the Dispatch could continue to carry it's current load and the pressure washing equipment could be carried on board a trailer. The advantage of this is if you are doing pressure washing as a fill in to your window cleaning then you can leave the kit ready in the trailer for when you need it and then just hitch up and away you go.

WCE

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:45:08 pm »
you will need to check your insurance, I know I am not insured to tow a trailor as I remember them pointing this out.

Ian
Whose that with? I have not herd of that before although I know that if you passed your driving test after a certain date then you had to take a test to tow trailers over a certain size (larger than we are talking about here). 

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:43:51 pm »

Ian
Whose that with? I have not herd of that before although I know that if you passed your driving test after a certain date then you had to take a test to tow trailers over a certain size (larger than we are talking about here). 
Autonet

and if you or anyone are using a trailor I would defo make sure that you are insured to do so.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:44:41 pm »
You need to check your vehicles "Gross train weight". This will be 2 separate figures, a lower one for an un-braked trailer, and a higher figure for a trailer with brakes fitted.

ftp

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:19:02 pm »
Thank, i'm only thinking of something light like my camping trailer - just enough to carry the washer really - leave it in the garage and just hook up on the day. Might not even do it yet, i'm just turning it over in my mind. I've done loads of gutter washing but no gutter clearing, i'm not sure i even need to go for it, but what attracts me is the reletively low cost to tool up. Five or six hundred including tow bar fitting would see me up and away with no ladders.