Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

S.A.J

help needed to get frames clean?
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:30:03 am »
Got this house i clean and a few months ago she had it painted and the decorator sprayed everything in some sort of water proof covering. I have managed to get it off the glass but cant really get it of the frames without a LOT of elbow grease and non scratch pads

Is there a easier way of doing it??

The customer asked the painter about the mess when he finished and he said

Painter "do you have a windows cleaner?"

Custy "yes"

Painter "Well he'll sort the window out for you"  >:(

The lady has tried to get hold of the painter to get him back to sort out the mess but with no joy!

Please help me!!

Here is some pics

Re: help needed to get frames clean?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:34:45 am »
Got this house i clean and a few months ago she had it painted and the decorator sprayed everything in some sort of water proof covering. I have managed to get it off the glass but cant really get it of the frames without a LOT of elbow grease and non scratch pads

Is there a easier way of doing it??

The customer asked the painter about the mess when he finished and he said

Painter "do you have a windows cleaner?"

Custy "yes"

Painter "Well he'll sort the window out for you"  >:(

The lady has tried to get hold of the painter to get him back to sort out the mess but with no joy!

Please help me!!

Here is some pics
have you tried hot soapy water ?
Upvc cleaner should shift it, but I would change the customer quite a lot to do this.

Ian

S.A.J

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:45:04 am »
Have tried UPVC cleaner, did not make a difference  :'(

Will try hot water tho

Cheers Ian

Stuart  8)

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:46:36 pm »
Probably need a spirit of some sorts or a solvent.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:50:35 pm »
Have you tried Cif (or Jif)? Never tried it myself but I read a post a couple of years ago that it was good.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:55:55 pm »
Buy some cellulose thinners from a car shop.

Use one cloth to put it on and another to take it off, the one you use to take it off turn regularly and keep dry.

Wipe the sills with a cloth soaked in the thinners but quickly remove it with your clean dry cloth and buff to a shine.

What ever you do don't leave the thinners on very long at all, this thinners also removes paint splashes that the painter may have got on the sills or frames.
Always try an inconspicuous area first.

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »
What the hell did he do that for?
I would go with the thinners, looks like Thompson Waterseal type of product.
Be careful using thinners if you're up a ladder, can make you light headed.

niceandclean

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:06 pm »
Buy some cellulose thinners from a car shop.

Use one cloth to put it on and another to take it off, the one you use to take it off turn regularly and keep dry.

Wipe the sills with a cloth soaked in the thinners but quickly remove it with your clean dry cloth and buff to a shine.

What ever you do don't leave the thinners on very long at all, this thinners also removes paint splashes that the painter may have got on the sills or frames.
Always try an inconspicuous area first.

I was going to suggest that. Have had the same thing, charge her well. Will take a day, well depends on how many windows. Is it the weathershield type spray/paint?

Xline Systems

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »
hold a scraper at about a 15 degree angle and scrape it off. it works if your carefull

S.A.J

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:47:49 am »
Cheers all will go shopping later for some thinners.

Stuart  8)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:07:39 am »
If it is a silicone based sealant you have a real job on your hands, I pretty sure (though not certain) that cellulose thinners won't help, and by and large, cellulose thinners won't touch ordinary paint.
I would personally tell the customer I can't get it off the frames without charging an absolute fortune, if they are really covered you could be spending well over 30 minutes per window to clean the frames properly.

This is the decorators problem, she has now paid him up in full of course and can't get hold of him, so now she is stuck with sorting it out herself...
I wouldn't touch this job with a bargepole!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

jay105

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 08:10:48 pm »

I once used thinners and stained cills try sugar soap best of luck

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 08:32:56 pm »
go down to a plastics supply shop, either a trim type supplier or an industrial plastic pipe suppliers (sometimes called building plastics supplies) and get some industrial solvent based cleaner. very very strong vapour comes off so be careful you don't get buzzing up a ladder. this will remove the crap back down to the dull original plastic, then polish it up with some upvc cleaner from somewhere like b&q. i have had this done to me before and took me a good eight hours on a detached. its a sealant they spray on, usually silicone based. the plastic will be dull after using the industrial strength stuff but don't panic the household stuff buffs it up to an acceptable finish.

cheers

shaun

jampot

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:45 pm »
that stuff is murder to get off. ive had few, but to be honest ive yet to find somthing other than white spirts and elbow  grease.
and its not very good  :-\

steve a

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 09:42:39 am »
Had some windows to do which also had 'waterseal' applied, or something similar. Some thirty odd windows and cills, tried scraping with reasonable success, but left a shadow of the stain on the window(if you know what i mean). Tried this stuff on a soft pad both on the glass and on the pvc and came up a treat in about 1 third of the time, with no shadow either.

Available from Morrisons, last time I looked.

Steve

steve a

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 09:50:03 am »
JUst tried reading the piccy I posted. Not very clear.

It says "Glass/ceramic hobs
              Upvc windows and doors/ patio furniture."

Obviously try a little area first and dont rub too hard, or you'll tire yourself out.LOL

steve

steve a

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 09:54:37 am »
These are some piccies of the job I was doing. Sorry for the hotch potch way of posting, but have just woke up, had a heavy night last night.