Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doug Holloway

Silk vs Mercerised Cotton
« on: April 27, 2008, 12:14:38 pm »
Hi Guys

I was asked by one of the rug dealers via Dave Liaona, to find a test for chemically testing whether a fibre is silk or its much cheaper imitator mercerised cotton.

I have now done this and have the relevant chemicals , so if in future you would like this test carried out please contact me.

It is also possible to distinguish between silk and wool.

Cheers

Doug

lands

Re: Silk vs Mercerised Cotton
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:31:37 pm »
Is it a simple test Doug ie. can it be taught to non U.S. Govt. scientists like you ;D ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:32:11 pm »
Hi Pete

Yes it is fairly simple but you need copper sulphate, sodium hydroxide amd glycerine.

I have copied another email to you .

Cheers

Doug

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:37:54 pm »
Pretty straight forward then.  ;D

lands

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:41:03 pm »
Yeah got that and replied. Left a msg for the other one. Will give him a call am tom. if not heard.

Cheers
Pete

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:52:04 pm »
Hi Guys

I suppose it's more straightforward to me than others.

Thats why if their are disputes it's worth sending some fibres to me.

Cheers

Doug

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 03:09:21 pm »
The tricky bit is knocking up some copper sulphate with household chemicals.

Now let's see, I've got some copper wire, some salt and vineger. ;)

*paul_moss

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »
Gave Dave the same info doug.
Here are the tests for Silk rugs

Tests for Silk rugs, first
OK, you're looking at a nicely woven, nicely patterned, closely clipped "silk" rug with what appears to be real silk fringe. You still might be looking at a rug made of artificial silk. Here are three field tests that might help you distinguish real from fake. No guarantee; your mileage may vary.

Rub it! It is sometimes claimed that you can tell real silk from artificial silk by vigorously rubbing the pile with your open palm. The real silk rug feels warm, the artificial silk rug stays cool to the touch. We sometimes think we have felt this difference. Of course, it helps to have a real silk rug with you so that you can compare a known quantity!

Burn it! This test is at least good theatre, and actually can be helpful. Clip off a small piece of the fringe, or pull a knot out of the rug from the back (why should the owner object?). Burn it. Look at the ash and smell the smoke. If the material was cellulose (rayon), the ash should be soft and chalky, and the smell should be like burning paper (most paper is made of cellulose). If the sample is real silk, the burning sample should ball to a black, crispy ash, and the smell should be of burning hair (you're burning protein, the same stuff your hair is made of). You've got to be a little careful with this test to avoid smelling the smoke from the match (and to avoid igniting yourself or the rug dealer's shop).

Chemical Test that Doug has Chems for
Dissolve it! The most accurate test is one that chemically differentiates protein from cellulose or petrochemicals. One such test: at room temperature, mix a solution of 16 g copper sulfate (CuSO4) in 150 cc of water. Add 8-10 g glycerine, then caustic soda (sodium hydroxide: NaOH) until a clear solution is obtained. This solution will dissolve a small sample of natural silk, but will leave cotton, rayon, and nylon unchanged
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Doug Holloway

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:46:19 pm »
Hi Paul

It's not difficult  to do if you have the right chemicals.

Cheers

Doug

*paul_moss

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 08:00:28 pm »
Doug thats easy for you, your a chemist, ill probably blow the rug up. Leahona defo will as he already has an exsplosives licence :o
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:42 pm »
Judy will have a better way of doing it , she always has!

'Hope this help'

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 08:28:39 pm »
Paul

Talking of blowing up www.carpetcleanerswales.co.uk is now on page one for google search of that phrase.

Cheers

Doug

P.S I think it's time to leave Judy alone as she does offer a lot of advice and as far as I know is not a rug authority.

lands

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »
Doug thats easy for you, your a chemist, ill probably blow the rug up. Leahona defo will as he already has an exsplosives licence :o

Paul,

Lets face it, Dave has a license for every dangerous vocation or pastime there is. Just look at his tagline on his profile, that says it all.

Still no response on rug email from either of my learned mentors :'(

*paul_moss

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:21:06 pm »
Doug
P.S I think it's time to leave Judy alone as she does offer a lot of advice and as far as I know is not a rug authority

I offered the olive branch once and it wasnt taken. If she stops having a go, then I will reciprocate. ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:39:54 pm »

Talking of blowing up www.carpetcleanerswales.co.uk is now on page one for google search of that phrase.

Thanks doug ;)

Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 10:44:53 pm »
www.carpetcleanerswales.com comes up top on my page. They look a good out fit  ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:38 pm »
Mistake its
carpetcleaningwales.com
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk