Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dd

Lengthen life of fibre glass pole.
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:54:07 am »
What is the best way to prolong the life of a fibre glass pole? I have heard suggested rubbing baby oil, silicone spray or a non-wax based polish onto pole helps it wear better.

For most of my work I use 18 x 3 foot universal fglass pole.

Dean Aspects

Re: Lengthen life of fibre glass pole.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:23:37 pm »
When i used a g/f pole i would use a silicon based car polish on it once a week dont know if it prolonged the life of it but it extended easier

Dean

dd

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:08:47 pm »
Cheers. Sounds like a good idea.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:02:41 pm »
What is the best way to prolong the life of a fibre glass pole? I have heard suggested rubbing baby oil, silicone spray or a non-wax based polish onto pole helps it wear better.

For most of my work I use 18 x 3 foot universal fglass pole.

The best way of prolonging the life of a pole is to keep it clean. This means flushing the pole from the inside out so that all the grit that gets carried up on the pole hose is flushed away and doesn't act like sandpaper between the clamp and the section.  In an ideal world, you would flush your pole after every day's work. 

To do this, lean the back of the brush head on the ground, undo all the clamps and point a standard garden hose inside the base cap and allow the water flow to flush out all the grit and muck from between the sections out of the clamps.  Once you've done this, turn the pole the other way up and spray as much water as you can in the top section and in between each clamp and allow the water to flow out the bottom of the pole. 

Even if you could only do this once a week, it could double the life of your pole.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:34 pm »
I paint a thin layer of Hammerite on the part of the pole that spins when the clamp is past it's tightening up mark. It's like having a new pole again as it stops the pole spinning at the clamp. I'm thinking of completely painting the sections. May try one and see how long it lasts.