Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

irj services

canpopys
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:11:23 am »
I have put this on other forums.

A lot of the houses are new builds in my area. Above the front door a lot  house's  have canopys, how do I get to the windows above the canopy doing trad w/c ?

[GQC] Tim

Re: canpopys
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:17:57 am »
This can be done by several ways, if you can put your ladder up to the brickwork above the window whilst still keeping the correct ladder angle, you can usually clean it without problem, if there is no brick spacing above the window, you can put your ladder up to the guttering, make sure you've got some ladder mitts on the end. Usually you can reach the windows then as well. I have a tiny little unger extension handle, that gives you that extra little bit of reach.

If it's like a twin canopy, I don't know the right word, I'm not English, you know the sloping ends on both sides of the roof, you know what I mean, you can put the ladder up to the guttering as well, right next to the top of the roof, and then step over to the peak of the roof, that's usually quite narrow, but doable, grab the guttering, duck and clean the windows. Not the safest thing to do, but I bet everyone now and then has done that.

Safest way is an extension pole, might not do the perfect finish, but it beats a fall from a ladder.

Sorry, there is still another way for the  twin canopy, you can put your ladders at an extreme angle, right across the roof from the side, rest the ladder mitts on the top, get a ladderm8rix at the bottom, and put your bucket on it as well to be safe, climb the ladder, and the window will be on your side to clean it.

Disclaimer

This is in no way allowed by health and safety, I'm just saying that it can be done, in my opinion it's safe enough, but you've got to be very careful.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:49:50 pm »
I have put this on other forums.

A lot of the houses are new builds in my area. Above the front door a lot  house's  have canopys, how do I get to the windows above the canopy doing trad w/c ?

use a trad pole.

I see some right dingbats cleaning windows dangerously, if you cant reach it safe dont clean it.

there is always wfp but if you dont want to go down that road as I said a trad pole or leave the window, there is plenty of work out there that is safe to do without risking falling from a ladder. When I was trad, if I didnt think it was safe to clean I would come straight out and say tp a customer, I can not clean that window as it is unsafe.
if they didnt like it they could find someone else that wanted to risk there life for an extra 50p to a £1.

Ian

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:23:09 pm »
Canned poppies?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »
use a trad pole.

I see some right dingbats cleaning windows dangerously, if you cant reach it safe dont clean it.

I'm with Windowwashers on this one. If you have an accident trying to clean it, it's no skin of their nose. They will just get the next windowcleaner that comes along, but you'll be left suffering the injuries which could be quite severe.

If the customer doesn't or wont accept your safety concerns you don't want them on your books.

tonyoliver

custy scum
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:34:10 pm »
dont ever fall for the custys line oh its quite safe..................................................
some years ago  pre wfp i fell for one just like this ..on an roof above a glass canopy above another roof
they said the last man cleaned two months ago what sort of wc do you think you are.
 it was the last job of the day
got up there and froze no way did anyone ever ever ever get up there as they were so black i did the honours and made my excuses and left just like the reporter from the news of the world
another  one told me the blind at the front of the shop was safe as it had been checked by universal last week

went up and down it came 30 foot blind old fashioned type along with the sign and back board it was so rotten only the rot was hol;ding it in place two luck escapes

moral of the story is dont ever belive the custy is telling the truth on safty issues as the next mug along will cop it to them you are replaceable
 and if in doubt leave it out we on the forum dont want to lose you

Helen

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:09:05 am »
Never try to compromise with safety.....it doesn't play fairly!!! Sometimes you just have to say NO to people and if you don't get a job, because someone wants you to risk an accident happening, you are better off without them or their job. Some will accept it if you are up front and say at quote point "that window there will be impossible to reach safely, but if you are in I can do it from the inside etc etc." Some won't.........would they balance precariously to clean a window? think not, that's why they ask us  :)

Sanity

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:44:32 am »