Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Re: Cold Water Cleaning
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 10:09:05 pm »
tact; time, agitation, chemical, temp

if you've plenty of time then use all 4.

but you can work twice as fast with just 2 of them temp & chemical
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

ollie

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 10:10:08 pm »
you can clean a carpet to a good standard with cold water, but it takes longer. You have to pre-spray scrub and let it dwell then it will clean up great. This is Ok if you have plenty of time but if your aim is to make money then it pays to clean the carpet as quick as possible ( but still to the highest standard as possible) I can clean a carpet with hot water a lot quicker, which mean I can do more work and earn more money.

But you need the work, no point piling through the job if you haven't another job to go to.

I also hate dragging in the rotory and waiting around for the pre-spray to work, high heat just makes it easier.

Exactly mike, its a case of heat , chemical, aggitation and time. If you are short on time ..up the heat ,..if you are short on heat..up the time etc etc !!
ollie

elliott cleaning

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 10:10:45 pm »
This is where the eco warriors have got it right.
Because it is 'eco/green' it is a bit like organic allowing you to charge double the price.  Hence to make the same money as Mike they can sit back & have a fAg/cup of tea while pre-sprays dwell & still be home by 2pm

Mike Halliday

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »
which is Ok if you do charge double the price but!!! why not just charge double the price anyhow and still work twice as quick, so them you quadruple your money.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

elliott cleaning

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 10:15:18 pm »
You must be an accountant as well as a carpet cleaner

ollie

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 10:16:24 pm »
you can clean a carpet to a good standard with cold water, but it takes longer. You have to pre-spray scrub and let it dwell then it will clean up great. This is Ok if you have plenty of time but if your aim is to make money then it pays to clean the carpet as quick as possible ( but still to the highest standard as possible) I can clean a carpet with hot water a lot quicker, which mean I can do more work and earn more money.

But you need the work, no point piling through the job if you haven't another job to go to.

I also hate dragging in the rotory and waiting around for the pre-spray to work, high heat just makes it easier.

Exactly mike, its a case of heat , chemical, aggitation and time. If you are short on time ..up the heat ,..if you are short on heat..up the time etc etc !!

Why did my post show the above post???
ollie

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:20 pm »
Geoff ......... whether you believe or not .......... i do get asked and probably 3 or 5 times in last month.
At the moment i am doing work for the people who will walk/cycle kids to school, go on holidays where they do not use planes, have solar panels installed etc........

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/house-and-home/property/why-comedian-marcus-brigstocke-spent-163100000-on-an-ecomakeover-772082.html

I have this sort of work and approach asked for on a daily basis ..................... do not have to charge more but have found i have stopped getting priceshoppers  ;D

I do have access to hot water but not needed the extra boost it can give  ::)

richie

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 11:30:37 pm »
The old debate of cold water vs hot water is back again then.  FACT HOT WATER CLEANS QUICKER, FASTER & BETTER THAN COLD WATER.  I am sure that we all know this to be true regardless of what chemical you are using.  For myself & many others Pure Clean comes out on top of M POWER.  As i have stated many times before,  the idea is to use a chemical that will do the job and not be hit n miss on poly prop or wool.  I admit that i have not extensivly used M POWER but have used it on occasions and not been overly impressed with it and that was using it with HOT water so i cant see it been much cop with COLD.  Each to his own.....this is my view.

Richie.

spindle

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:07 pm »
yes  cleans quicker

but which dries faster? ;) ;) ;D
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

carpet guy

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 11:57:12 pm »
Don't think the water, whether HOT or COLD will achieve much without the addition of something, to.................break surface resistance...........emulsify........disolve............

About 10 years ago One Step appeared and was marketed as a cold water cleaner.............I think history has shown it to be successful.

Of course heat, will usually speed up the process, but the posts above are showing you, how you don't have to DEPEND on hot water availability to do a good job.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 04:30:53 am »
This is a message for all the cold water cleaning sceptics on this forum including {Jason Hedges} I cleaned a three bedroom rental propety yesterday in middlesbrough, All the carpets were polyprop and trashed! We had to clean it with stone cold water as there wan't anything else available ! We used M Power and a drop of Craftex Lavender deodouriser in the cold water rinse, the carpets cleaned very well, and we managed to completely remove the very strong stench of cigerette smoke ! no offence meant if you are a smoker !

regards Stu Clark

Hi Stu,

Well done for cleaning a trashed polyprop carpet ;)

Still not sure why you mentioned my name in your post,

I agree most of the posts above that hot cleans quicker and better than cold. However if people have good results with cold who am I to disagree.

I have upgraded in the last 4/5 years from low powered portys through mid and high powered portys to a fairly good truckmounted system and have tried every cleaning method/technique available (as far as i know).

I still use m/s on occasion and have nothing against them.

I have also had great results using cold water (when hot not available) using both m/s & detergents on certain types of carpet & upholstery.

However: Try using cold water on a low profile trashed flatweave/loop-twist in a filthy dirty ex-rental or greasy black-top in a pub/nightclub, then you will realise where heat & the appropriate chemicals come into play.

Great results can be achieved from both hot & cold water I agree, everyone to their own.

My opinion is that hot cleans better and faster than cold...........

Trying not to have a go back but cant understand why my name was mentioned.

All the best,
Jason.

gwrightson

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 07:19:52 am »
Chris,

I never said I disbelieved you, Difficult to believe I said, and the question was purley out of interest to find out if their really are people out there who want complete eco , planet saving solutions.

so well done if you are attracting these.
I must be honest though ,and say I bet the vast majority of so called eco friendly custys are burningas much energy as most others,
only my thoughts mind ;)
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

stuart_clark

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2008, 11:17:51 am »
Hi Jason
I picked up on a comment you made earlier in the week about the cold water brigade on the other forum, I think Joe hatton came in to its deffence, silly realy
i cant even remember what the thread was about, A year ago I hated MS ans couldn't get on with them, but in November last year I bought a new Scorpian and although very immpressed with its performance, i found that most detergents foamed up realy bad, I have heard about this a lot lately about high airflow machines, anyway the thats the reason I face persode MS until I found ones that I could work with, I diddn't mean any offence
regards Stu Clark

By the way Jason, what make of triuckmount do you use ?

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 01:16:35 pm »
Mike has spoken a lot of sense.

There are many different business plans. There are many different values in life. There are many variations in our cleaning armoury.

Modern technology makes it viable to clean and rinse carpets with cold water. It's an option which many porty users (in particular) consider and use effectively when the occasion demands.

High heat is a superb catalyst. On it's own it can make a signicant impact on the proportions within the T.A.C.T./C.H.A.T. pie. It can make the cleaning process faster.

There's more than one way to crack a nut. Chemspec and others now produce solutions suitable for cold water cleaning and rinsing.

I too have achieved stunning results with cold pre-spray and rinse on grease laden polyprop carpets. If heat was available I'd have used it from choice. But for the way I CHOOSE  to work (procedurely), the heat wouldn't have made this work speedier.

Safe and happier cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Jason Hedges

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 10:55:54 pm »
Hi Jason
I picked up on a comment you made earlier in the week about the cold water brigade on the other forum, I think Joe hatton came in to its deffence, silly realy
i cant even remember what the thread was about, A year ago I hated MS ans couldn't get on with them, but in November last year I bought a new Scorpian and although very immpressed with its performance, i found that most detergents foamed up realy bad, I have heard about this a lot lately about high airflow machines, anyway the thats the reason I face persode MS until I found ones that I could work with, I diddn't mean any offence
regards Stu Clark

By the way Jason, what make of triuckmount do you use ?

Hi Stu,

No offence taken just wondered why i was singled out. Was half expecting a lynch mob at my door this morning ;D.

Everyones opinions differ and what works for some doesn't for others. Its what makes these forums so interesting. You cant beat a good debate.

I did make a joke about another site & cold water but it was said tongue in cheek. I have nothing against either, sorry if it came out wrong and you (or others) though otherwise.

I'm a joker and sometimes I forget people cant see me giggling at my keyboard.

My t/m is a promount 27 from woodbridge :)

All the best mate,
Jason.