Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrisdean

Red Wine - What would you do?
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:19:20 pm »
Had a customer phone today asking - can i remove red wine stain from his beige carpet?

I said i would call round that afternoon and survey.

Went there and carpet was 80/20 & customer did mention he had tried all sorts of chemicals under the kitchen sink and a wet vax machine. The stain was not red at all it was a blue/green colour.

I said i would attempt to remove but theres no gurantee it will go.

I used red rx and a terry towel and iron, i appplied red rx neat to stain agitated with spotting brush and covered with damp terry towel then ironed for 5 - 10 secs. First few presses with the iron transfered some colour to towel. Once all area had been treated i extracted with fibre fabric rinse using hand tool.

Too my frustration stain was still there and not much noticable improvement, so i thought i would repeat the steps again. But there was not any transfer of stain to towel so i just rinse extracted again and dried up with terry towel and informed the customer that i had gone as far as i could.

My question is could i have done anything else?

For instance would coffee stain remover hepled or wot about a neat solution of fibre fabric rinse then red rx after that?

Thx in advance for your feedback.

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Red Wine - What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:28:39 pm »
I find spray and go from Chemspec works the best for me.

Shaun

Kev Loomes

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:15 pm »
The problem started as soon as he applied cleaning products to it ::) - probably setting the stain to some extent (which I'm sure you know anyway).

I wouldnt have used coffee remover without his consent as some can bleach the carpet. Sounds like you did everything ok, although I would have used the wand first to flush out his chem's before using your own plus sometimes this can get it all out due to the extra power.

Lastly I would have tried Hydrogen Peroxide and dried.

Kev

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:52:19 pm »
If it's gome green I think it's beyond saving.  ;D

I have recently had success with Craftex tea/coffee stain remover when all else fails. I was warned by Mr Kelly about the smell, eggy pumps or what.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:08:33 pm »
I once tried MS and it sent it greeny blue and then rectified it with Sodium Metabysulphate (spray and go) mixed over strong with very hot water BUT it doesn't work everytime.

Apparently wineaway is very good http://www.cleansmartsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Spot_and_Stain_Removers.html

scroll down

Shaun

PS hope Mike Boxall isn't looking  :o

lands

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:06 pm »
Sounds like the eggy SM treatment is the only thing here.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:33:51 pm »
Sounds like you did everything by the book. The customer has almost certainly set the stain by tampering with it and if you fiddle about with it too much you could just make it worse and then the blame will come on to you.
You did well. Nothing more you could have done.
Simon

Doug Holloway

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »
Hi Cchris

I would attempt to change its oxidation state /colour by dabbing with neat acid rinse.

Once/if I got it back to red then normal red wine procedure.

Cheers

Doug

John Kelly

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:08 pm »
We and a lot of others I know do stain removal for insurance companies. How this works is if you get the stain out, usually 75-80% success rate, you usually get to clean the whole carpet. You also get your call out and a stain removal success fee. This makes it a great little earner. If you don't manage to get the stain out you get a flat rate of anything between £20-50. Therefore you don't want to be driving 40 miles if you aren't going to have a good chance of removing the stain. So what happens is when you make contact with the customer you interogate them (in a nice way) and ask them if they have tried to remove it themselves. If they say they have used Vanish or 1001 or any other concoction from under the sink we normally just try and get room dimensions, type of carpet etc. A lot of the time they say they haven't touched it and when you get there what do you find but a big bleach mark where they have obviously knacked it, you feel like strangling them.
In short once the customer has messed with it this makes the job of removal so much harder.
Don't get hung up on stains, you are not a magician. Remember they caused it and as Simon has said if you start to mess about too much the customer ends up starting to blame you. Best to have a go and walk away if it doesn't shift. That way your reputations intact.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 11:40:25 pm »
Honestly, mate, I think you have done enough.
If you do as Doug suggests and change the colour back to red but then don't get the red stain out the customer will quickly realise that her carpet is ruined and what will she be looking for? A new carpet! Because you've changed the appearance of the stain it is no longer as it was when you walked through the door and that is down to you. Suddenly it's your fault because you changed the colour of the stain and ruined my carpet in the process!!
Think it doesn't happen? Think again.
Sadly, it happens all too often.

maxcarpets

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:30:30 am »
I was chatting to a local cc once and he was telling all about a red wine stain on a 80/20 he was faces with. This is how he described his procedure

Pre-spray gold then Stain pro, then coffe stain remover then RUST REMOVER????

It didnt move, in fact he moaned that the chemical were no good!

Cheers

Justin

Mike Roper

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:19:43 am »
If its untouched- microsplitter ,rinse. Coffee break (acidic spotter) often changes the colour then Browning prescription( sodium meta- smelly stuff, reducing agent). This usually does it , if not then it oxygenating /peroxide spotter but always cover you
Mike

Fred Gullan

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:46 pm »
Had excellent results on old wine stains on a white wool carpet with Help Mate ( chemspec).

Cheers

Fred

mark_roberts

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:17:19 pm »
Why does a red wine stain turn green?

I have had great results with wineaway.

John Kelly - you must be a real sweet talker as any insurance work I do the policyholder wants 100% stain removal or replacement carpet.

Mark

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 10:05:29 am »
Mark, thats the case. What I'm saying is that if the customer has messed about with it then its not usually even worth going out for a min fee which doesn't even cover your costs. In this instance we provide details of the carpet for replacement.

AJB

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 01:57:48 pm »
Always had very good results with Craftex Shift.
Which incidently the other day i suddenly realised
smelt exactly the same as the coffee stain remover,
So why did i buy Coffee remover, with a tub of shift
on the shelf, I'm certain it is just ready mixed shift.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!