Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

daniel b

Re: how much can an employee earn for me (domestic)
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 05:32:47 pm »
cheers ;D,
DSB Cleaning Services,Wrexham,N.Wales.
NFMWGC NO.9442,
Safe contractor approved.
www.dsbcleaningservices.co.uk

chrismroberts

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 05:33:04 pm »
I think I've seen your van Daniel, does he work St Davids Park in Ewloe (Deeside)?

yes thats us mate we do quite a few in them areas, do you work them areas too mate.

I do yeh  :) :) I think I share the estate with about 4 other guys, not including yourselves. It is very good work, easy houses. Most windows sheet beautifully  :)

Not sure how many hes getting through up there, and I know everyone works at different speeds, but I started up there at lunchtime today and finished at about half 4 and got through 13 houses. So he should be reaching your 15 a day target easily, at least up there.

daniel b

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 05:38:04 pm »
i think thats the prob his speed i think he is worried about gettin complaints so he spendin like nearly double the time on them think im gonna have to round with him again and speed him up.
NFMWGC NO.9442,

M Winner

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »
25 houses a day @ £12 a house
You expect £1500 a week from an employee! or £3000 from a team of two
I dont think so

Richy L

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 06:47:26 pm »
8 hrs and he on £6.50ph, it costs me around £100 too send him out with all the expenses fuel,water,insurance etc, so too make £40 a day profit i dont think is that bad like i say im not greedy, but from readin on here seems he could be doing more :-\

I think thats your problem.  Paying £6.50 ph!
As a window cleaner you need to be paying someone a lot more in my experience to get anything decent from him.
Why not pay him on a precentage rate?

NWH

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 06:53:28 pm »
8 hrs and he on £6.50ph, it costs me around £100 too send him out with all the expenses fuel,water,insurance etc, so too make £40 a day profit i dont think is that bad like i say im not greedy, but from readin on here seems he could be doing more :-\
If he`s only earning you £40 a day your wasting your time,it`s not a case of being greedy it`s a case of it`s business and by making £40 a day from an employee you won`t have one for long,no offense but if your employing him legit by making that small amount per day from him how can you be covering all your costs.

Sanity

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 07:06:33 pm »
I would take him on a commision basis.  If you charge £12 and up, let him earn £9 per house.  That way he has an incentive to work hard, and if a house takes 20 mins, he is earning a potential £27 per hour.  Not many other jobs can boast that, therefore he should give loyalty.

You take the £3 per house for doing....nothing ;)  He is self-employed so deals with all his own stuff (tax, NI, etc)

NWH

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 07:09:22 pm »
If he`s self employed it won`t be long before he`s peed off about giving you the £3 per job either.

alanwilson

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 08:56:14 pm »
The odd thing is, no-one has asked what these houses are like?

Truthfully, how long should each house take and how old is he?
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 09:27:14 pm »
If he gets £6.50 an hour then he has no motivation to work harder. You could pay £10 an hour but it still won't make him work harder. The way i see it it has to be a productive bonus of some sort. What if the bonus payments came in after x amount of houses?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 09:33:56 pm »
You can't legally employ him on a self employed basis, if you get shopped then you are in trouble.
Having said that, if you are doing it that way then you need to do it on percentage basis or have some other form of incentive.
A 75/25 split in his favour is a real no-no, it should be more like 50/50, you have to cover your overheads, you had to set him up, not cheap to do so with WFP, and running costs have to be considered.

If we are to assume that the £12 house is a relatively average kind of semi, and the work is reasonably close together, done WFP you should comfortably be able to do 4 houses an hour. On a busy day, with good weather and so on £150-200 should be achievable.
I know that 4 houses an hour at an average of £12 per house is £48, but that won't average out on a full day at that rate, the lad may be out for 8 hours, but he will realistically be actually working for no more than 6 of those hours, but he should be able to clear £30 an hour.
Ergo, if your round is priced well it should be reasonable for him to return a turnover averaging around £180 a day. (ish)
The problem with employing in this manner of course is that the person you are employing sees you getting half the money and thinks it is unfair....but if he is working well he is earning himself approx £15.00 an hour.

If you are employing someone legally then his daily turnover will need to be at least that to cover employment costs, profit, investment, overheads and so on.

You need to kick ass!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

dave0123

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 09:42:18 pm »
well theres no way i could 13 houes in one day wfp  :o its slower for me than it is workings trad. 25 mins jobs taking 35-40 mins hoses doing my head in every job just seem easly 2 get a ladder off.

anyway to what the post is about... you might be better making it a team!! of 2 people getting the houses done.

daniel isnt too far from me he is in wrexham im on wirral and to pay 6.50 an hour around here is good money its usally min wage of 5.52 when you go searching on job centre you get the od 7.00 per hour but not often.
Dave.

geefree

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »
why is it illegal to set someone on , on a self employed basis...... i have worked at a few companies over the years on a commission only stratagy, and have been self employed,... no holiday pay, pay my own tax and stamp.

Gary

daniel b

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 09:54:49 pm »
he does like 140/150 a day now i make near 200 a week profit for hardly doing anythin i run a large team on the commercial side so this was just an add on, a bit of extra money, but im deffo gonna go out with him and speed him up basically get him too do 200 a day on regular basis.
NFMWGC NO.9442,

Ian_Giles

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:30 pm »
why is it illegal to set someone on , on a self employed basis...... i have worked at a few companies over the years on a commission only stratagy, and have been self employed,... no holiday pay, pay my own tax and stamp.

Gary
If the majority of a persons work is through you then the tax man considers him or her your employee, ergo you have to employ him legally, pay his tax, national insurance contributions, have employers liability and so on and so forth.
If you are caught then you are in the do-do!

I myself always employed on a self employed basis, and many still will of course, it was wrong when I did it, and it is wrong now!

That's the way it is I'm afraid :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 10:22:26 pm »
Same applies if you sub-contract work out to someone who has no other means of work/job. You would be classed as their employer and be liable for holiday pay, sick pay, tax, N.I. I remember reading how they've clamped down on this dodgy subject a year or two ago.

Ravensford

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 03:13:03 pm »
They are even wise to switching people between companies - say for instance swapping a self-employed window fitter between a double glazing co & a conservatory co owned by the same person.

Beware  ;)

geefree

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 08:08:07 pm »
are you sure, not being funny really at all,... but i worked for the same company for 10 years, on a self emplyed basis, and i had 200 colleagues all doing the same... we paid our own stamp, tax , etc... the company declared our earnings including bonuses to the tax man, and passed on that info to us each year stating it has been declared...

however we could not claim anything back on a company car, as they had the privilage of that.

thats why i find it strange.

Gazzasp8