Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Aquakleen Restoration Services

Canvassing for jobs
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:56 am »
Hi all,

This week I am getting my mother to go out canvassing for carpet cleaning work. She is an excellent sales person and I am sure will get some work for me. I am paying her 20% of the over all jobs worth (I know that is high but it is my mother after all) LOL

She is coming down later on a run down of how the business/cleaning process works as she knows nothing about it.

I was talking to a fellow cleaner last week and he knows a husband and wife team that do this and make over £1000 a week doing this.

Has anyone tried this and what was the response rate?

Many thanks

John

from edge2edge

Re: Canvassing for jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:06:16 am »
John i bet you do very well with this approach.Face to face will yield a much better return than leaflets and if you mother is a good salesperson this will prove to be the case.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:10:21 am »
Well I hope so, January was a very poor month for me so fingers crossed!

bennymon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:16:13 pm »
 i sometimes go door to door myself but there is no way i would let my mother or wife do it  to many dodgy people out there  :(

lands

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
John

Is this domestic door to door or commercial?

Pete

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:28:33 pm »
It will be domestic at first then possibly moving on to commercial

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 05:30:47 pm »
its going to hard to sack her for not bringing enough work in :-\ :-\  she'll never speak to you again and you can forget about going home for Christmas dinner ;) ;)

if I was getting my mum to work for me I'd get her to do telephone canvassing, ringing existing customers and new.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 05:35:27 pm »
Well she'll be working on commission so anything is better than nothing. Telephone canvassing is a good idea has anyone tried this? I expect the results would be less than door to door or would I be wrong?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 05:56:28 pm »
its hard employing family & friends, you need to structure your commission payments to increase response.

10% for the first 3 leads, 15% when they go over 3 then 20% for over 6, this will encourage the canvasser to go out and get more leads to move onto the next level.

here's the philosophy we used in Double glazing towards canvassers;

you have to train canvasser like you train Dolphins. when Dolphin trainers get a new dolphin they begin by training them to jump over a stick. .....but to start they put the stick on the bottom of the pool making it impossible for the dolphin to fail, this is how you train canvassers, make it impossible for them to fail.

so tell your mum for the first week you will pay her £100 and you want her just to talk to people, not to bother getting any leads, then move the stick higher the following week, and tel her to just get 2 leads..... work up from here.

but you will find they will get work from week 1, because they are relaxed, because they cannot fail.

Dolphin training works on wifes & kids as well ;) ;)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:16:36 am »
Thanks for all the info, very interesting reading indeed! I will keep you all posted next week as to how it goes, John

Re: Canvassing for jobs New
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 03:06:43 pm »
Hi all,

Mother went out today for 2 hours. Although no jobs came of it as of yet (4 hours later) she did gain a lot of interest from people  who were going to "speak to their spouses." Who knows if it will happen or not, fingers crossed.

She did knock on a guy's door who ran a property agency and when she said what she was doing he said "this could be your lucky day" and went on to say he had many properties that needed doing! She gave him a biz card so he could be in touch soon.

For each house she visited she gave them a business card and put one through the letterbox if no one was home.

Only had one miserable git who snarled at her but my mother takes that with a pinch of salt so thats not a problem. I just said forget it theres always idiots like that!

She is going out tomorrow to have another try. Hopefully a job or two will come of it.

I will keep you all posted as to the outcome

John